Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed this on my 2007 Captiva over the last week or so. When I open the boot, the catch release handle has started to need a push back to its original position as if it's in treacle. If I don't push it forward it stays in the squeezed position and when closing the boot the catch won't grab.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'll be getting the WD40 out to see if it helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hi dave
,i had the same problem on my 2008 captiva during the winter months i gave it a really good soaking with wd40 every day for a couple of days (touch wood) not had problem since now wheres that bit of wood ! hope it fixes it mate.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not had this problem on my Captiva, but have on another car.

Every now and then a squirt of WD40 and work the mechanism a few times - job done.

·
Registered
58 Posts
its done the same on our 2007 model for ages now but OH has just left it..will make sure he trys the WD40...honestly I'm so glad I look on here!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone, will get round to giving a good soak this weekend.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Adding to an old post I'm afraid but just freed my handle up and it needed a bit more than wd40..
The problem was at the handle end. I stripped the trim and worked from the lock up and found the problem was the pin which hinges the release lever (handle).
If you remove the chome surround on the outside (five nuts on the inside (8mm)) and pop the rod off the back the handle assembly lifts away.
The pin had corroded badly and it was so thick it had seized.
I found that with the part facing me as it came off the car the pin can be driven out from left to right. (the right end is splined to hold it in place.)
A quick file and burnish to the pin and a coat of grease and it drove neatly back into place.
Reverse of above and it's working beautifully.
Replacement part no. was 96624625 or 20973013 if you choose to go down that route instead.
Hope this is usefull.
daveG..

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
daveG said:
Adding to an old post I'm afraid but just freed my handle up and it needed a bit more than wd40..
The problem was at the handle end. I stripped the trim and worked from the lock up and found the problem was the pin which hinges the release lever (handle).
If you remove the chome surround on the outside (five nuts on the inside (8mm)) and pop the rod off the back the handle assembly lifts away.
The pin had corroded badly and it was so thick it had seized.
I found that with the part facing me as it came off the car the pin can be driven out from left to right. (the right end is splined to hold it in place.)
A quick file and burnish to the pin and a coat of grease and it drove neatly back into place.
Reverse of above and it's working beautifully.
Replacement part no. was 96624625 or 20973013 if you choose to go down that route instead.
Hope this is usefull.
daveG..

Thanks for this Dave, my WD40 attempt only lasts about 6 months. Will give this a try.

·
Registered
5 Posts
DaveG thank you for this post. Sorry for adding to an old post but it is relevant to me at the minute WD40 is not working for me I have soaked it many many times I think I am going to have to give taking the pin out a go. I have looked to buy a replacement part but they seem so expensive. Hopefully this will work

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
FHT, top marks for using the Search function and linking in with previous related post. The rear tailgate handle as you have found has been problematic with corrosion. On the Series 1 Captiva there was a problem of handle to paintwork rusting. Series 2 has a gasket between faces.

It might be useful as you add further posts to clarify which year / model Captiva you have for readers to identify.
You can add a 'footer' in the Signature box giving your vehicle info and it will appear under your posts automatically (similar to mine below) avoiding the need to type it every time. There might be a possibility that if you have already completed this info you are using a mobile phone which for some reason 'crops' this off on the website.
You can edit/add your signature by going to Tools>QuickLinks>Edit Signature.

·
Registered
77 Posts
literally had my handle start doing this over the weekend - handy tips folks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Aussie Ed,

Apologies but I’m on a mobile so any footers gets taken off.

I have a 2011 captiva LTZ. My handle has the gasket between handle and body work.

Today I took the handle off and tried to drive the pin out, it was extremely rusted up. Unfortunately I was unsuccessful in getting the pin out and trust me I tried everything but it started to damage the plastic so I stopped.

I have soaked it in a solution for a few hours which has cleaned up the rust and not the handle moves more freely but it is still getting stuck so has to be pushed back to its original position although this is a lot easier now.

I think I have no choice but to try and buy a replacement part. (Part number 96624625) do you know if I can get these from Chevrolet they seem to sell them freely in Europe, just struggling to get them in the uk that looks in better condition to what I have.

Any suggestions would be good.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
131 Posts
I will phone my garage in the morning, they seem to be able to get most parts in a couple of days

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Hi Aussie Ed,

Apologies but I’m on a mobile so any footers gets taken off.
FHT, This is a frustrating glitch with the forum. It may be worth adding the vehicle year to your 'location' line because this does remain visible in both formats.

Ant is 'on the case' for locating the part. This variation in customer service on parts seems very frustrating. Chevrolet made an undertaking to have parts available for 10 years (from 2015). I think it is laziness on the part of some dealers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
sticking rear handle

It is good to hear that the parts are still available.
I had the problem of my tailgate catch seizing, with the tailgate closed. crying:sad: I had a real problem trying to resolve this, and ended up having to drill out the old catch. My attention turned to the handle, following previous posts I flooded the pin, in the handle, with WD40; which helped but did not cure the problem. I striped this down, luckily being able to drift the pin out was able to give it a good clean and grease before refitting. I went another step and added a spring to help pull the linkage down and return the handle. Hopefully this can help somebody else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there I am having a similar problem with this boot release, my spring on the handle had seized and now it has snapped and I cannot find the part any where I know the part number is 96624625, can anyone let me know where I can get one from please.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts