Chevrolet Owners Club banner

Boot release issue

17K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Aussie Ed 
#1 ·
Just noticed this on my 2007 Captiva over the last week or so. When I open the boot, the catch release handle has started to need a push back to its original position as if it's in treacle. If I don't push it forward it stays in the squeezed position and when closing the boot the catch won't grab.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'll be getting the WD40 out to see if it helps.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
daveG said:
Adding to an old post I'm afraid but just freed my handle up and it needed a bit more than wd40..
The problem was at the handle end. I stripped the trim and worked from the lock up and found the problem was the pin which hinges the release lever (handle).
If you remove the chome surround on the outside (five nuts on the inside (8mm)) and pop the rod off the back the handle assembly lifts away.
The pin had corroded badly and it was so thick it had seized.
I found that with the part facing me as it came off the car the pin can be driven out from left to right. (the right end is splined to hold it in place.)
A quick file and burnish to the pin and a coat of grease and it drove neatly back into place.
Reverse of above and it's working beautifully.
Replacement part no. was 96624625 or 20973013 if you choose to go down that route instead.
Hope this is usefull.
daveG..

Thanks for this Dave, my WD40 attempt only lasts about 6 months. Will give this a try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.