Chevrolet Owners Club banner

Boot Release Switch - Failed

39K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  Steve Baldry 
#1 ·
Over the weekend, I went to open the boot on my Orlando, only to find that it wouldn't open.

Booked it in to the Chevrolet dealer in Derby today, and they've just called to say that the micro-switch inside the boot-handle has failed and they've had to order a new one.

Fortunately, I was able to get everything out of the car via the back doors/seats, including the dog cage (and dog!)

#29 ·
Isabella, If after having read the action and methods used by Lawrence, Cuartez & Arlanza you still do not feel confident then your best option is to take your vehicle to a suitable bodyshop. A set of trim removal tools would make the task easier if you attempt this yourself. You ddnt complete your sign up with your location in the world but if in UK you can get these from places like Eurocarparts or other motor factors or on internet. Also best to get necessary switch ready (if it is established as the failed part).
There are videos of removing a side door panel on the internet but I've not found one specifically for the Orlando tailgate.

#32 ·
Hi All, I have managed to do nearly everything suggested in the thread but having managed to take off the boot mechanism I realise the ebay part I have bought looks alot different to what I can see on the existing mechanism. It also looks like it going to be tough to take off/replace any parts to this as well. Attached a few pics to help explain. Any ideas welcome.

Btw - I have never changed a tyre before, so surprised myself by getting this far!

#33 ·
Pwo, Am I correct in interpreting the third photo to be the 'new' part?
It is often a nightmare trying to 'graft' an unsuitable part into original equipment.
Did you order the part from GM garage? There is a part number mentioned earlier in this topic (post #24 13 June 2018) did you morder this part number or something different?
We dont know which year/mdel variant you have because you havent told us. Helpful (often vital info) because model 'builds' vary over the vehicle construction lifetime. Vehicle details can be added to Footer/Signature.
Helpful tips for new members can be read on this link:- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

#34 ·
Pwo, Am I correct in interpreting the third photo to be the 'new' part?
It is often a nightmare trying to 'graft' an unsuitable part into original equipment.
Did you order the part from GM garage? There is a part number mentioned earlier in this topic (post #24 13 June 2018) did you morder this part number or something different?
We dont know which year/mdel variant you have because you havent told us. Helpful (often vital info) because model 'builds' vary over the vehicle construction lifetime. Vehicle details can be added to Footer/Signature.
Helpful tips for new members can be read on this link:- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum
Hi Aussie Ed, I had bought the item from ebay and it had one those compatible checkers, which said it was OK for my model - Orlando 2012, but guess it not the right part (yes, 3rd picture) based on what I can see from the boot locking mechanism. I had a quick scout under the part number and don't to be any obvious places to get one from in the UK. I might go to the dealership, but having done so well so far, was keen to finish the job off. No obvious part to remove and replace on the mechanism, so even if I find the part, not convinced I will be able to fit it anyway. I suppose I can leave the mechanism with the garage to fix, rather than the whole car!

#35 ·
PWO, It's so frustrating to get to that 'yes I can Fix This' situation and then be thwarted.
The Orlando is an interesting model which from other entries it seems to have various 'reincarnations' in it's build. Example being that some models have hydraulic steering and others have 'electric' !!
It might have to be a dealer part at a price!!
Good Luck.

#38 ·
Update: This worked! My wife has been having issues with the boot for ages. Because Chevrolet no longer sell in the UK, the nearest garage was the other side of London. So, we bought the door switch and hey presto. Its a bit fiddly but do watch the You tub video first. I made the mistake of not doing that and spending 1/2 hour longer than I needed to. In the video, you need to solder the two wires together but I managed to clamp the new wire into the line junction without much hassle. Thanks for all your help (UK post: 25th Nov 21)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.