Chevrolet Owners Club banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many thanks Taffy. That Vauxhall part clicked into with a very satisfying 'click'.
Just a couple of notes to add to yours and others. I thought maybe it was the fuse but I had noticed the switch kind of getting weaker. The fuse according to my book, 2.0 diesel 2012 model, is the same as the central locking and that is working ok.
I removed that plug inside the tailgate and got down low with a torch and could see it was a square hole about 1/2". I used an old chisel and turned anti clockwise. On opening i placed a mat on the tail to stop keep closing. Then removed the plastic off the inside of the tailgate. I got both hands in and gently prised away then 'bang' out it pops. Now I could see the wiring. There is a small plug and socket on the feed to the switch near the wiper motor which I disconnected.
Undid the 4 nuts with a 10mm ring spanner holding the reg light etc.
Once removed you can see a black square plastic part that holds the switch.
I did not have to remove that.
Replaced the switched. Oh no! it does not work. Panic! Is the fusing info wrong? Recheck the book.
Blimey,idiot, forgot to reconnect that plug near the wiper motor.
I could have had it done on warranty but for £13.95 It is a good quick job I know I have done. If that had failed then would have taken in. Thanks again..to all.

Edited by: Lawrence88

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Good morning,

I have the same issue and I have followed the advice and purchased a switch through the ebay link, they have gone up in price to 12.99

I crawled to the boot last night. I have managed to remove the plastic panels from both lights and the small circle where I can access to turn to manual boot operation. What did you use to turn the square hole to manual?

Now my question, to get to the switch what panel must I remove. are we taking the whole plastic rear panel. if so any indication of how to prise this off. any pictures or advice would be cracking.

Cheer s

Lee

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
Buy a set of bodywork trim removal tools. You dont tell us your location so if not UK then use eBay or the web to find a set. In UK Eurocarparts sell these kits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi do you recommend trying to fix this part if complete novice with cars? Is it hard to do? My boot won't open on my Orlando 2012 and would love to try to fix myself but fear I will need diagrams or a video!! Can anyone help? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
Isabella, If after having read the action and methods used by Lawrence, Cuartez & Arlanza you still do not feel confident then your best option is to take your vehicle to a suitable bodyshop. A set of trim removal tools would make the task easier if you attempt this yourself. You ddnt complete your sign up with your location in the world but if in UK you can get these from places like Eurocarparts or other motor factors or on internet. Also best to get necessary switch ready (if it is established as the failed part).
There are videos of removing a side door panel on the internet but I've not found one specifically for the Orlando tailgate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
orlando

I know this is old but in case it happens again, it's fairly easy to open the tailgate from inside the car, as long as you're agile.

Crawl into the rear and remove the round plastic plug at the bottom of the tailgate. Use a very large bladed screwdriver through the hole to operate the lock mechanically by gently turning. Voila!

My problem now is that I need to find a new switch as the main agent wants to charge ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY TWO BLOODY QUID for a poxy switch!!!!!!!!

BTW It's NOT a microswitch. It's a simple rubber moulding with contacts mounted inside it, which is fixed to a metal plate which holds it in place with 4 screws.

Get yourself a sealed push button switch from Ebay for $12 dollars cut the two black wires to that over priced switch and replace with the $12 dollar switch. you might have to adjust the mounting bracket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All, I have managed to do nearly everything suggested in the thread but having managed to take off the boot mechanism I realise the ebay part I have bought looks alot different to what I can see on the existing mechanism. It also looks like it going to be tough to take off/replace any parts to this as well. Attached a few pics to help explain. Any ideas welcome.

Btw - I have never changed a tyre before, so surprised myself by getting this far!

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
Pwo, Am I correct in interpreting the third photo to be the 'new' part?
It is often a nightmare trying to 'graft' an unsuitable part into original equipment.
Did you order the part from GM garage? There is a part number mentioned earlier in this topic (post #24 13 June 2018) did you morder this part number or something different?
We dont know which year/mdel variant you have because you havent told us. Helpful (often vital info) because model 'builds' vary over the vehicle construction lifetime. Vehicle details can be added to Footer/Signature.
Helpful tips for new members can be read on this link:- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pwo, Am I correct in interpreting the third photo to be the 'new' part?
It is often a nightmare trying to 'graft' an unsuitable part into original equipment.
Did you order the part from GM garage? There is a part number mentioned earlier in this topic (post #24 13 June 2018) did you morder this part number or something different?
We dont know which year/mdel variant you have because you havent told us. Helpful (often vital info) because model 'builds' vary over the vehicle construction lifetime. Vehicle details can be added to Footer/Signature.
Helpful tips for new members can be read on this link:- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum
Hi Aussie Ed, I had bought the item from ebay and it had one those compatible checkers, which said it was OK for my model - Orlando 2012, but guess it not the right part (yes, 3rd picture) based on what I can see from the boot locking mechanism. I had a quick scout under the part number and don't to be any obvious places to get one from in the UK. I might go to the dealership, but having done so well so far, was keen to finish the job off. No obvious part to remove and replace on the mechanism, so even if I find the part, not convinced I will be able to fit it anyway. I suppose I can leave the mechanism with the garage to fix, rather than the whole car!

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
PWO, It's so frustrating to get to that 'yes I can Fix This' situation and then be thwarted.
The Orlando is an interesting model which from other entries it seems to have various 'reincarnations' in it's build. Example being that some models have hydraulic steering and others have 'electric' !!
It might have to be a dealer part at a price!!
Good Luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update: This worked! My wife has been having issues with the boot for ages. Because Chevrolet no longer sell in the UK, the nearest garage was the other side of London. So, we bought the door switch and hey presto. Its a bit fiddly but do watch the You tub video first. I made the mistake of not doing that and spending 1/2 hour longer than I needed to. In the video, you need to solder the two wires together but I managed to clamp the new wire into the line junction without much hassle. Thanks for all your help (UK post: 25th Nov 21)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts