Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Chevrolet Orlando, auto, diesel, 2014
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So my Orlando has failed its MOT due to a worn brake pedal cover. It's an automatic so it needs a wide one but I can't find one for love nor money! If there's a similar one out there for a different make/model then I cannot find it (or more likely don't know what to look for).

Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable replacements? Preferably UK or EU based because I need to get this sorted ASAP.

|\/|artin

·
Super Moderator
7,918 Posts
I cant quite see the relevance of being automatic that it needs a 'wide' pedal rubber because I believe the brake is the same size whether auto or manual to my knowledge. However that aside it took me less than two minutes to type in the description of the item in my search engine and have numerous 'hits'. Several on eBay.
One vendor lists it suitable for the Cruze also.
You dont give the year of your vehicle - in fact you havent provided any detail what so ever.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My apologies Ed, I don’t know how different each model of Orlando is and I definitely don’t know which other car makes or models would be similar. That’s really the information I’m after, I guess. Would a Cruz fit? What about a Ford Galaxy? You see my point I hope.

I did a few Google searches but could not find any specific match. eBay items, when I followed the link, didn’t actually end up on a page that mentioned “Chevrolet” at all, let alone “Orlando”.

So, to answer your question it’s a Chevrolet Orlando 2.0 diesel, automatic, 2014 plate and I’m in the UK.

I have to say the brake pedal is definitely larger than what I would expect in a manual car and always has been that way, but I’m willing to believe that I’m wrong.

·
Super Moderator
7,918 Posts
To a degree 'I see your point', but why should we (Forum users) know any more than you whether a Ford Galaxy or any other make of replacement rubber would fit ?
What you are doing is expecting someone else to do your research / shopping for you. You have a means of accessing the internet ie you are on this Forum, so why did you fail with your own research? Didnt persevere possibly :-(
You are not alone, far too many - usually fly-in & fly-out Forum users - are wanting others to do the research and legwork for them yet the internet is an extremely valuable resource for all to use. I'm not being 'harsh' with this reply, I'm simply saying it the way it is.
I simply typed "brake pedal rubber cover for GM Orlando" into my computer Search engine (in my case Google) and up came an answer on the eBay link.
The vendor even provides the listing of vehicles his item is stated to be suitable for. I'm not however vouching for the suitability of the product. Clutch / Brake Pedal Pad Rubber Cover Non Slip Fit For Chevrolet Cruze Orlando | eBay. There are also so called 'Universal' clutch pedal rubbers mentioned on the internet.

As a reminder; there is a section in your Sign-Up to include your vehicle details which, had you completed it, it would appear automatically with your posts.
Read the Guidance notes I provided previously.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn’t expecting others to do my research for me, rather I was asking those who could well have considerably more knowledge than I about the vehicle in question.

Had I not got any response (and while waiting for one) I have been searching myself and find, as is always the way, that using search parameters in different orders generates different results.

Thanks for your search query, I will take that away and see what I can find.

I will also fill in the vehicle details that you mentioned. I admit to not reading the guidance notes because they usually read the same in all forums: “Be nice, don’t swear, sales must be agreed beforehand”, rules that so always abide by so why read them? Yours is different so it might be worth mentioning that in your welcome message? It might get other to fill their details.

·
Registered
T250 2dr. 1.2 lpg
510 Posts
My advice in such cases, is to show that you have a real question, by posting a photo of your defective part, which would have cleared up the "it needs a bigger rubber" question straight away. It does indeed, as do many automatics.

Manufacturers always seek to avoid tooling costs by having parts commonality whenever possible. Very high chance that the same rubber fits a number of cars. The LHD versions do look a little different to me though.

Need it sorted ASAP? Perhaps buy the entire pedal box for £42. Depends how "urgent" it is really. When my Aveo cannot work, and I have to use alternative car, my costs go up by about £25 a day, so I tend not to linger with repairs if possible.

2012 CHEVROLET ORLANDO 2.0 VCDI AUTOMATIC BRAKE PEDAL ASSEMBLY 13252203 | eBay

·
Registered
T250 2dr. 1.2 lpg
510 Posts
This part looks like a dead ringer too, might be worth pulling your existing rubber off, doing some measurements, and making enquiries with the seller.

This second link from Pentagon looks good too. Note too how the GM part number is on the back of the genuine part, removing yours may give you that information to compare/ search with too. You could even post a picture of the part number here too, that would help future people searching to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you @Metro1000 for the advice, which all makes sense and is, sadly, only obvious to me after you've suggested them.

Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

so this is the cause of my MOT failure. It's small but enough to fail on.

I took the offending rubber off but there is no part number on the back so I took measurements and it looks like you are right, the Astra J Zafira C Insignia cover is a match. I will post the results once I get it and fit it, or otherwise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took the offending rubber off but there is no part number on the back so I took measurements and it looks like you are right, the Astra J Zafira C Insignia cover is a match. I will post the results once I get it and fit it, or otherwise.
It turns out that the Zafira cover does indeed fit. It was a bit of a struggle to get it over all four corners but I go there. This actually may be intentionally difficult since you don't want it slipping off or sliding around. All that's left now is to see if it passes the MOT retest tomorrow...

·
Super Moderator
7,918 Posts
Useful info. Good luck for an MOT Pass.

·
Registered
T250 2dr. 1.2 lpg
510 Posts
It turns out that the Zafira cover does indeed fit. It was a bit of a struggle to get it over all four corners but I go there. This actually may be intentionally difficult since you don't want it slipping off or sliding around. All that's left now is to see if it passes the MOT retest tomorrow...
Probably should have put it in boiling water or warmed it up with a hair dryer.

Now that the MOT tester has got you for that deadly defect, he can go back over the car and look for "advisories", like indicators that are not quite orange enough, number plates that are a bit deteriorated but not enough to be mis-read, slightly corroded brake discs, and a one of the 7 high level brake light bulbs out. To make sure get plenty of scary orange "warnings".

·
Registered
64 Posts
I cant quite see the relevance of being automatic that it needs a 'wide' pedal rubber because I believe the brake is the same size whether auto or manual to my knowledge. However that aside it took me less than two minutes to type in the description of the item in my search engine and have numerous 'hits'. Several on eBay.
One vendor lists it suitable for the Cruze also.
You dont give the year of your vehicle - in fact you havent provided any detail what so ever.

A common conception about this is that since automatic transmission cars do not have a clutch pedal, a larger brake pedal is installed to fill up the empty space. However, the wider brake pedal is deliberately made larger to allow the use of left foot for braking.
I guess we can all learn something.

·
Registered
963 Posts
So he could appeal the MOT failure for a worn pedaL rubber on the grounds that ihe uses left foot braking and the wear is on the R/H side of the rubber? :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for the advice and comments.

I'm relieved to say that it passed this time with only the warning I had previously about some of the number plate LEDs bulbs, perhaps this is one of the benefits of using somewhere like Halfords to get your MOT done rather than in independent who wants to drum up more business.

Warming the rubber would definitely have been a good idea, thanks for that @Metro1000, I hope it helps someone else - in the end I use brute force and ignorance which also works but takes longer and involves more colourful metaphors 😉

·
Registered
T250 2dr. 1.2 lpg
510 Posts
A common conception about this is that since automatic transmission cars do not have a clutch pedal, a larger brake pedal is installed to fill up the empty space. However, the wider brake pedal is deliberately made larger to allow the use of left foot for braking.
I guess we can all learn something.
Why would you want to use left foot braking in an automatic though? By which I mean in what circumstances and to what advantage? I've only had one auto of my own, but driven others extensively, and never considered using my left foot for the brake, maybe because I'm a lifetime manual person.

·
Registered
2012 Chevrolet Orlando (once I purchase it officially)
4 Posts
Has anyone tried hitting the brakes with their left foot in an automatic? Being left handed, (also left footed,) whenever I get into an automatic, it's instinct to want to involve my left foot somehow, but because it's so used to the extra pressure you automatically exert on the clutch pedal, trying to brake with it invariably ends up with you trying not to headbutt the windscreen, (thank goodness for seatbelts).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Has anyone tried hitting the brakes with their left foot in an automatic? Being left handed, (also left footed,) whenever I get into an automatic, it's instinct to want to involve my left foot somehow, but because it's so used to the extra pressure you automatically exert on the clutch pedal, trying to brake with it invariably ends up with you trying not to headbutt the windscreen, (thank goodness for seatbelts).
I suspect it's what you're used to. I'm totally with you on the nose-to-the-windscreen having tried it myself but perhaps if someone only ever drives an automatic and they were taught to left-foot-brakes while learning then it'll be second nature, and possibly quicker?

Would it be quicker to move your left foot to the brake than to life your right foot off the accelerator and then down on the brake? This assumes you're not riding the brake with the left foot, of course.

Dunno, it's certainly not a question I can answer :)

·
Super Moderator
7,918 Posts
Very few modern vehicles will allow braking and acceleration at the same time. The electronic 'wizardry' deployed now will cut or reduce the fuel flow if the brake is deployed at the same time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts