Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Matiz 1.0 se
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi got a problem with brakes on 2007 1.0 se Matiz have had the servo changed ith a second hand one The brakes were spongey before.Master cylender is ok Now Brakes are hard and takes longer to Stop The Garage thinks its the ABS module I cannot Get one anywhere any one got any advice Please . Its my Wifes car she loves it It would be a shame to have to scrap it can anyone please

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi planeman does the ABS warning light illuminate briefly as you turn on the ignition or does it remain on permanently? An ABS lamp on permanently is a sign of a fault and should provide a DTC [diagnostic trouble code] which can provide details of the fault. A DTC is read using a scan tool which repair people use to sort problems like this.
If the repairers consider that the ABS module is the problem why not let them get hold of a replacement. A quick look on Ebay UK will show lots for sale. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
Irrespective of the possible need for a new ABS sensor, what I cant do is correlate the the comment of the brakes being hard and longer to stop. This is an old vehicle so maybe it needs new Rotors etc
If rotors and pads (front) are below the operational tolerances then it will not be possible to achieve sufficient 'grab' hence 'longer to stop'. Possibly a more thorough overhaul service of the full braking system including fresh brake fluid may be prudent.

·
Registered
Matiz 1.0 se
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi planeman does the ABS warning light illuminate briefly as you turn on the ignition or does it remain on permanently? An ABS lamp on permanently is a sign of a fault and should provide a DTC [diagnostic trouble code] which can provide details of the fault. A DTC is read using a scan tool which repair people use to sort problems like this.
If the repairers consider that the ABS module is the problem why not let them get hold of a replacement. A quick look on Ebay UK will show lots for sale. Good luck.
Hi The abs light only comes on when you turn on the ignition then it goes out I have got a second had module off ebay
we have put the original servo back but the problem is still there a hard pedal

·
Registered
706 Posts
Its a bit of a mixed up story isn’t it. First of all you say you had a spongy pedal so you changed the servo and got a hard pedal then you throw in a bit about the master cylinder being OK and the garage saying it’s the ABS. Then you put the original servo back on and now you say it has a hard pedal. Oh dear, what a tangled web we weave…

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
I'm getting even more confused than you Victor! :rolleyes:
Who is Peter southom (the new poster). Is he the same person as Planeman ?? The comment made gives me that impression.
If he is, why are we jumping to new membership? if he isnt the same person then Peter Southon needs to tell us details about himself (Sign-up incomplete) and also about his vehicle (nothing stated).
This is about as confusing to unravel as a ball of wool a cat has been playing with.:unsure::unsure::unsure:
Would someone tell me what is going on here please.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi The abs light only comes on when you turn on the ignition then it goes out I have got a second had module off ebay
we have put the original servo back but the problem is still there a hard pedal
Hi planeman it looks like the ABS light sequence shows a successful "self test". This means valves inside the unit operate correctly, The pump is also free to rotate and the circuits to the wheel sensors have electrical continuity. In view of this the ABS looks OK. A problem may be encountered if the garage people have allowed air to enter the unit. To fix this usually requires Dealer Quality scan equipment to purge the unit.
Your comment regarding servo replacement is interesting. How much of the dash did you need to remove? and what did you need to do to overcome the evaporator obstruction?
Why not test the servo to rule this out as a cause or contributor to brake problems?
A usual test procedure needs the engine to be stopped. The brake pedal is then pumped around 8-10 times to allow air into the servo to overcome any vacuum. With the brake pedal still depressed the engine is started and as the engine creates a vacuum the pedal should fall away slightly. Let us know how things go.

·
Registered
Matiz 1.0 se
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm getting even more confused than you Victor! :rolleyes:
Who is Peter southom (the new poster). Is he the same person as Planeman ?? The comment made gives me that impression.
If he is, why are we jumping to new membership? if he isnt the same person then Peter Southon needs to tell us details about himself (Sign-up incomplete) and also about his vehicle (nothing stated).
This is about as confusing to unravel as a ball of wool a cat has been playing with.:unsure::unsure::unsure:
Would someone tell me what is going on here please.
I am The Same person dont understand why I had to Re join Either as The Page would not let me Sign in as \planeman it has now .

·
Registered
Matiz 1.0 se
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi planeman it looks like the ABS light sequence shows a successful "self test". This means valves inside the unit operate correctly, The pump is also free to rotate and the circuits to the wheel sensors have electrical continuity. In view of this the ABS looks OK. A problem may be encountered if the garage people have allowed air to enter the unit. To fix this usually requires Dealer Quality scan equipment to purge the unit.
Your comment regarding servo replacement is interesting. How much of the dash did you need to remove? and what did you need to do to overcome the evaporator obstruction?
Why not test the servo to rule this out as a cause or contributor to brake problems?
A usual test procedure needs the engine to be stopped. The brake pedal is then pumped around 8-10 times to allow air into the servo to overcome any vacuum. With the brake pedal still depressed the engine is started and as the engine creates a vacuum the pedal should fall away slightly. Let us know how things go.
Hi The Car is still in the Garage Surly they should know all this They have been Great in the past

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
I am The Same person dont understand why I had to Re join Either as The Page would not let me Sign in as \planeman it has now .
Okay makes a bit more sense but I dont know why your original log-in didnt work. I was beginning to think I'd had too much wine last night and lost the plot.
Jasta has touched on several very helpful pointers which are all part of being a skilful and responsible auto engineer at what are on the face of it tech college identification skills. If your garage is not stepping up to the plate then maybe you need to start nicely but forcefully rattling the cage.
Just for your info as a new'ish member I've attached a helpful link about the Forum. Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
OK thank you will have a look at the link sorry for the confusion will see what the garage comes up with tmw
Peter, I responded back on your original Planeman sign up but you have again replied on Peter Southon. Are you still experiencing Sign-up difficulties on Planeman? If so I'll ask Central Admin to explore as to what the problem is. I think we need to decide which is going to be your Primary account. If we / you decide on Planeman I can delete the entries under Southon.

·
Registered
Matiz 1.0 se
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Peter, I responded back on your original Planeman sign up but you have again replied on Peter Southon. Are you still experiencing Sign-up difficulties on Planeman? If so I'll ask Central Admin to explore as to what the problem is. I think we need to decide which is going to be your Primary account. If we / you decide on Planeman I can delete the entries under Southon.
Hi Aussie Ed please delete the entries under southon please

·
Registered
Matiz 1.0 se
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update on brake problem just got the car back from garage they say that after all the work they have done it definitely needs a new brake servo as the think the diaphragm in the servo has gone inverted? The brakes are now soft eventually going to the floor .when I got home I did test that Jasta suggested engine off pumped pedal 8 or 10 times started up pedal went to the floor! Any any ideas where I can get a new one from?

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
Hi Aussie Ed please delete the entries under southon please
Okay will do. I'll do it tomorrow. Had a very long day today as a witness at a Coroners hearing. Man v's a truck (stepped in front of !)
I was first responder. Only one outcome unfortunately. Hearing continues tomorrow.

Planeman I can confirm that I've deleted your Southon posts. If you wish to close that account completely you as the owner of that Sign-in have to do that as it is outside of my remit.

Ed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts