Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My Captiva has been resting since the beginning of April. Today i took it back to service as my break discs were looking rusty. It seems that the car needed more breaking power
and when breaking the car turns to the right (?). I opened the front saddles, removed the pads and pushed the pistons in and they went in easily. Also the pins were moving
easily. When re-tested the vehicle still needs extra breaking power and i can feel that the breaks need more power than before.

I think I need to open the rear breaks but i have not done that before and the vehicle has electric handbrake. Is there something i need to consider when removing the saddles ?

I have seen some discussions on the matter but i would rather have somebody to give a helping hand than trying to find some old topics.... Victor... Ed.. pls

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you need to remove/check your disc brake pads, you don't need to do anything else, you work exactly like on the front of the vehicle.

If you need to take the disc brake out or remove the parking brake shoes, then you need to do the following for disable the electric brake cable tension:

Without Scan Tool - Optional Method
  1. Block the drive wheels.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position with the engine OFF.
  3. Place the automatic transmission in PARK or manual gearbox in NEUTRAL, as equipped.
  4. Apply and hold the brake pedal. The brake pedal must remain applied throughout the park brake cable tension release process.
  5. Press and hold down the electronic park brake (EPB) switch approximately 5 seconds.
  6. Observe the PARK BRAKE lamp on the instrument cluster.
  7. When the PARK BRAKE lamp flashes, release then immediately press and release the EPB switch.
  8. The handbrake cable tension is fully released.
  9. Release the brake pedal.
After you replace the brake shoes you have to adjust the parking brake shoes play, I usually put the brake disc and use a screwdriver to adjust the play to be quite loose. After that I put everything back, including the wheel and I follow the procedure in the manual to enable the tension and adjust the electric brake cable:

Without Scan Tool - Optional Method
  1. Block the drive wheels.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position with the engine OFF.
  3. Apply the brake pedal.
  4. Place the automatic transmission in PARK or manual gearbox in NEUTRAL, as equipped.
  5. Momentarily lift then release the EPB switch to apply the EPB.
  6. Momentarily press down then release the EPB switch to release the EPB.
  7. Repeat step 5 and 6 to cycle the EPB on then off an additional 4 times.
  8. The EPB module will be calibrated and proper tension will be applied to the handbrake cables.
I hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts