1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
997 Posts
Seems reasonable, althoughthere are some good pre reg deals out there too with the new model coming on stream. In my mind I'd have to balance the increase in mpg against the embarasment of getting stuck in the snow with something that looks like it shouldn't with the 2wd. If it meets your needs though, you could do much worse. I really like my captiva.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bigiain. Yeah lack of 4wd is an issue but all driving would be on roads. Would car height and clearance not be advantage in snow?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I found in last years snow (loads of snow) that my Captiva did most of the running about (in the snow) using just the 2WD. It has a lot of torque and the snow didnt bother it at all.....

Saying that, when the 4WD cut in, it became another animal completly, and nothing bothered it at all.

I should add that only once I needed the 4WD, but I was really glad it was there, as without it, I reckon my car would have been stuck at the bottom of the hill with other 2WDs for 2 weeks, as they where. But most times the 4WD only cut in because I acted like a kid and put my foot down to spin the front wheels.

Of course the other benefit of the 4WD models is the 7 seats. I dont use the 7 seats often, but on the occasion when 5 seats is just not enough (like a day out with the family and parents) the rear 7 seats have been worth their weight in gold. Should also add, they are "real" seats. I, and a mate, both of us not small, have travelled in the very back from a rugby game, when my wife picked us up. Also had 3 mates in the middle row (back seats) and a mate in the front who is 6' 7". The journey was nearly an hour long and not uncomfortable. The very rear seats leg room isnt great, but to be honest, my wifes car is a Corsa, and I reckon the space in the very rear of the Captiva is no different to the Corsa.

As Binginaw has said. It is really down to budget. Dont think you will be disapointed with the 2WD Captiva, but there are real bargains out there with the new model on the way, if you are prepared to look (and maybe travel).

·
Registered
997 Posts
You are right of course that the extra ground clearance is better- we had it really bad here though for about 6 weeks and we would have been totally stranded for about 10 days without it. Our other vehiucle is a renault traffic 9 seater and it was hopeless until the application of snow tyres to the front axle, when it was almost as good at getting going as the captiva, but much better at stopping, so maybe the 2wd and a nice pair of proper winter tyres is the way to go? I'm having 4 winter tyres for mine this winter (I've got a spare set of wheels so can change easily) as the braking on the standard dunlops scared the doo doo out of me a coulple of times.
Iain

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many Thanks Guys.
Really appreciate in-depth and objective posts.Comes down to what I can get for budget. Seem to great value for money on nearly new models with added security of long-ish warranty.
Whilst trawling net for Captiva deals came across company happynewcar.co.uk. There price for new model seem too good to be true.

Thanks again

·
Registered
23 Posts
Firey said:
HI All. I am looking for thoughts advice on my potential Captiva purchase. I have been looking for a good deal on a nearly new model for a few weeks and have been trawling posts on forum for hints and tips on various aspects of problems encountered etc.
I have seen this Captiva in ebay and seems a good deal.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-CHEVROLET-CAPTIVA-LT-VCDI-4X2-BLUE-/150650124940?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2313727a8c

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Truthfully?

Forget 'list prices', forget 'secondhand retail value - the sobering truth is that a used Captiva has a *very* low residual value.

How low?

Our 58 plate Captiva (35,00 miles, full service history, some extras - runing boards, etc,) was worth less than 11k when we part-excjanded it in May this yeat

Checking on ASKMID, the car has still not been sold ( 3 months later) which seems to highligght the undesireability of a second-hand Captiva)

The list price of our car in late 2008 was £23,500

Mercifully, we paid £16,000 - which helped offset the chronic depreciation.

So, if you are looking for a second-hand Captiva - offer them far below the screen price - chances are they will take it and be thankful....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts