Buy the car or not

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

firstly I’m completely new to the forum so your advise is worth its weight in gold and thanks in advance.

Long story short my family has grown by one so need a bigger car than the existing 3 series. I happened to stumble across a Chevrolet Captiva at a local garage and have arranged a straight swap for my tired old BMW to a 61 plate Captiva as the garage owner has decided the BMW would suit his wife and will probably give the car to her.

Just wondering if there is anything in particular I should look for and what are common problems and your experience of owning them. Also would be interested to know what max mileage is for VCDI engine as not come across them before.

The car in question is a 61 plate Captiva LT manual 2.0 VCDI that’s covered 87,000 miles, the turbo has been replaced late last year and the intercooler and abs unit was done last week before being listed for sale.

only thing to strike me as needing doing is parking sensors reactivated as it was used for towing they where turned off

thanks again for your wisdom and knowledge in advance.

·
Super Moderator
6,630 Posts
C Powell,
There are several previous questions like this and the following link will assist you read them.
The Forum Search Function is a useful tool.

Points to consider : GM Chevrolet withdrew from UK market over five years ago so you need to consider where/if you will get parts and dealership support.
Series 1 Captivas had a 'history' of cam/rocker failures - especially the early models (2010 which you are considering might have new ones). Note that as a 61 plate and 2.0 litre it is an old stock sale of Series 1 .
Ensure it has had all the necessary recalls carried out by dealership.
Consider your use. These vehicles need to be driven on long runs or you'll have DPF issues. Do not buy for short shopping & school run type of use.

Other useful Tips on using the Forum on this link :-

Reactions: gcmarcal

·
Registered
10 Posts
The 2.0 VCDI is a good engine for long trips, highways and so on. In the city it's not the most practical, as it's performs best starting from 2000 rmps, and the low speeds combined with a lot of starts from standstill does not give it the opportunity to properly reach optimal temperatures for consumption / exhaust cleanup (especially the DPF), and as i was saying, under 1800 - 2000 rpm it is sluggish. It has enought power for the body, can be felt as being 'elastic' and on a highway trip the noise is very low, for me it is an indication that the engine is tuned for cruising.

Curios why the turbo was changed @ only 87,000 miles.

If you intend to purchase it, check for rust, under the body, check the tyre wear to be even, check that all the dash lights come up on ignition and then to turn off (important step to verify that the check engine light has not be tempered with), visual check the exhaust (the bolts of the rear mufflers tend to rust and break at this age), visual check the prop shaft and the central support bearing not to be torn (it will give vibrations when accelerating), check for oil leaks under the car on the transfer case and rear differential, check the brake rotors for uneven wear or rust, make a cold start and give it gas to check for fumes / coloured smokes (if it does, check the DPF under the car for weldings, it may have it's internals removed).
Pretty much this is what i can think off in terms of verifications steps.
And of course, test drive it with the stereo off :).

Reactions: Aussie Ed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies I will scout around the rest of the forum.

the turbo was replaced I am told due to previous owners wife towing a caravan, combination of age and to much stress put on it from the driver (trying to get to 55mph in 1st gear probably)

·
Super Moderator
6,630 Posts
Maybe a new clutch could be on the 'to do list' as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe a new clutch could be on the 'to do list' as well.
Yes could well be on the test drive it had a good travel, did all the usual tests for clutch and it seemed ok.

it’s decision time tomorrow it’s gone for MOT today (Make sure that doesn’t turn up any unexpected nasties) so I’ve arranged for a second test drive

1 - 6 of 6 Posts