Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helo to all of you Captiva owners!
I have a question for you. I found my dream Captiva and would like to buy it this week.
It's a 2013. 2.2 diesel 4wd 184hp Chevrolet Captiva LTZ edition.
I had the car inspected by a professional and everything seems to be good except one major oil leak from the engine (pictures attached). The under side of the engine and the exhaust pipe are flushed with oil.
The mechanic said that the oil is not coming from the top of the engine and also not coming from the turbo so all expensive components are all right. He said that it has to be a seal or something like that. Now I'm a bit uncertain about buying the car or not... I have read that all Captivas leak some oil and not sure to leave a so beautiful car just becouse of an oil leak.
What do you guys think?

69342.jpg 69340.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,144 Posts
Difficult to tell from the photos but I have the impression that this is leaking from higher up than the sump seal.
The front engine seal is KNOWN problem on the Series 2. To renew it is an 'engine out' job. I know, it happened to mine - but fortunately I had Extended Warranty.
It is a potential £1200 task, plus new injector lines and seals if they do the job properly (once disconnected old high pressure feed lines should not be used again).
You dont say what the asking price is but I'd knock £1500 off to cover your potential hit) otherwise walk away.

·
Super Moderator
7,144 Posts
Just a couple of further thoughts. If as you say the vehicle has been looked after, I would suspect that the owner would have had this seen to if it was just a relatively simple sump seal. The fact that it hasnt been makes me think it could well be the front engine seal.
The other thing to bear in mind is that Chevrolet dont have any UK dealers since pulling out of UK in 2015. Some Vauxhall dealers will take on Chevrolet because it is in effect the same as the Antara mechanically only in a different body shell. Not all Vauxhall will be supportive.

Reactions: gcmarcal

·
Registered
154 Posts
Is the vehicle having Service Book and when and where might the last service done?. Dealer serviced Captiva should be in good condition and you can always ask the dealer why the oil is leaking?. It can be just oil filter case or something like that but i would not pay much for a Captiva with poor service history.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car is from Italy (I live in Hungary). As you may know Italian cars are like new from the perspective of rust. The car is absolutely rust free.
As I mentioned, the car was inspected by a professional. He told me that every single used car will have smaller or bigger issues.
The engine can be repaired, the rust can never be... I asked for repair prices in a local opel service. They told me that the timing cover change would cost around 500 Euros.
The car inspector put the car on a professional OBD, and checked literally everithing from oils to double mass flywheel.
The car is in pretty good shape, except that oil leak. I think that it would be a mistake to not to buy it... even if I have to pay 1000 Euros for the first repair it seems to worth the money.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The car is from Italy (I live in Hungary). As you may know Italian cars are like new from the perspective of rust. The car is absolutely rust free.
As I mentioned, the car was inspected by a professional. He told me that every single used car will have smaller or bigger issues.
The engine can be repaired, the rust can never be... I asked for repair prices in a local opel service. They told me that the timing cover change would cost around 500 Euros.
The car inspector put the car on a professional OBD, and checked literally everithing from oils to double mass flywheel.
The car is in pretty good shape, except that oil leak. I think that it would be a mistake to not to buy it... even if I have to pay 1000 Euros for the first repair it seems to worth the money.

Depending on how much is leaking... Just get a hefty discount and drive the car to Hungary with a bottle of spare oil in the boot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Helo to all of you Captiva owners!
I have a question for you. I found my dream Captiva and would like to buy it this week.
It's a 2013. 2.2 diesel 4wd 184hp Chevrolet Captiva LTZ edition.
I had the car inspected by a professional and everything seems to be good except one major oil leak from the engine (pictures attached). The under side of the engine and the exhaust pipe are flushed with oil.
The mechanic said that the oil is not coming from the top of the engine and also not coming from the turbo so all expensive components are all right. He said that it has to be a seal or something like that. Now I'm a bit uncertain about buying the car or not... I have read that all Captivas leak some oil and not sure to leave a so beautiful car just becouse of an oil leak.
What do you guys think?

View attachment 1857 View attachment 1858
The leakage appears to be coming from the power steering unit just behind the gear box
Check the grease in the booths and ensure there is enough grease as it helps lubricate the shaft and make the seals effective and also the position of the seals in the unit, there is a tendency for them to rotate out of their position and leak.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Difficult to tell from the photos but I have the impression that this is leaking from higher up than the sump seal.
The front engine seal is KNOWN problem on the Series 2. To renew it is an 'engine out' job. I know, it happened to mine - but fortunately I had Extended Warranty.
It is a potential £1200 task, plus new injector lines and seals if they do the job properly (once disconnected old high pressure feed lines should not be used again).
You dont say what the asking price is but I'd knock £1500 off to cover your potential hit) otherwise walk away.
Hi Ed,
You are correct about the oil leak on front of engine
I put a link here follow it down to 2011-2014 2.2 Captivas

Oil Leak Problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts