Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this will get a few responses. Can anyother Epica owners comment please.

My Epica LT manual with 19000 miles on the clock is an absolute mare in the wet with confidence draining understeer at anything over a very moderate speed when cornering.
Running on Goodyear NCT5's with 4mm plus of tread I thought the car would be able to respond to changes in direction with relative ease but I have to say this is the worst car I have ever owned for cornering in the wet so much so I had a little Citroen C1 pushing me along on country roads this evening as I just couldnt take any speed into corners and found myself reducing speed where in my previous car (06 Vectra SRi) i'd quite happily pointed the nose and turned the wheel. I'm not talking about driving dangerously at speed or anything like that - this is just normal speeds set by other traffic on the road at the time. I also find the brakes have a dead pedal feel which I've got used to.

I've read a few car reviews on the Epica (Honest john, Autocar & Parkers) and I've noted one of them also commented on ditch finding understeer in the wet.

Its got to the point where im considering selling the car as I have no confidence in its ability to manage the forthcoming winter weather highly likely on our sometimes untreated roads.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have no trouble in driving in our welsh weather and get lots of rain down here, have also driven on Belgian concrete motorways in heavy downpours. A small car will always outcorner you in this car, (it is big and heavy, but it is supremely comfortable), read my owners review in honest john, and look up my posts on the car. My old rover 75 was the same, but the ZT 160 was like it was on rails. Don't get rid of what is a good car for a minor thing.

a couple of things to do.
check tyre pressures, get tracking checked. National tyre will do that for you for free, you will only pay for any adjustment, and that won't be expensive. adapt your driving style a bit.

as said before it is a good reliable car.

Brake pedal feel is subjective, but brake more firmly and then ease off as you slow down, I find it works for me,

Happy motoring,

PS cabin filters available online for £17 instead of dealer price of £50+

let me know how you get on

bernie

carmarthen

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Bernie for your reply. You are right ofcourse in that a bigger car will not handle as well as a smaller car however, my previous 2 cars were large cars, 1 an 06 Vx Vectra Sri and previous to that a 03 Volvo S60 2.0T Se which both held the road exceptionally well. the Epica is definately more suited to motorways and fast straight A roads not countrylanes. If i am correct your car is running a slightly smaller wheel and tyre combination which probably makes a little favourable difference than the LT versions 215/50/17"
I've made my mind up the car is going, likely early next year, its an ok car but it just hasnt gelled with me. So if anyone wants a 20K Epica LT on an 08 plate with full s/history and in fantastic condition let me know. Yours for £6000.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts