Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've been reminded by my dealer that the cambelt is due for change on my 2007 diesel auto LT, I believe it's an age related change rather than a miles one as it's only done 30k.

They suggest it'll cost around £300, does this sound right to anyone that's had it done, and should I ask that any other stuff like tensioners or water pumps are changed if they're 'connected' with the cambelt?

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated!

·
Registered
56 Posts
sounds reasonable, but main dealer or indie, recommend doing water pump at same time, tensioners should be included in "kit". comparative price by mr cltch online, others are available!
Edited by: cruzetype

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'd be interested to see how they would price a cambelt change, given the Captiva has one pulley, but two camshafts.....

·
Registered
652 Posts
£300 is good, but depends if it includes water pump.

I was quoted £380 by one dealer and over £500 by another. Both Chevrolet dealerships which surprised me at the big difference in price.

I've only got 50k miles on my 2008 model, so decided to give it another year, as one of the dealers said they would give a discount f done with a service. Just had a service with a local independent garage, who couldn't get the pats for the Cambelt for less than £200 as ony the dealer could supply and none of them had one in stock. Checked internet, and the cheapest I found there was £180 (without waterpump), so its not a cheap part.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi we have which just had ours done on our 57plate. It cost us £350 which inc the water pump. Ours had done 54k, n yes we found it was an age thing rather than the recommended milage. (think manuel states 60k)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have just had my 2.0L diesel Antaradone by the local Doncaster Vauxhall dealer (Perrys)for £309, belt and pulleys. Another Vauxhall dealer quoted £304, but were further away. Worryingly when they had it in, they called to say it would not be ready in time. It was taking longer than estimated as they had never done one before
. Anyway, all done and seems OK

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Andyk said:
I have just had my 2.0L diesel Antaradone by the local Doncaster Vauxhall dealer (Perrys)for £309, belt and pulleys. Another Vauxhall dealer quoted £304, but were further away. Worryingly when they had it in, they called to say it would not be ready in time. It was taking longer than estimated as they had never done one before
. Anyway, all done and seems OK
Ha! Funny you should say that... I took mine in for its cambelt yesterday morning, they said pick it up at 5ish... 4.30 I get a call from the dealer "can we have it overnight, we're only half way through and it's taking longer that we expected..."

I had to go in there to get the car seat out of it and what a mess - there were bits everywhere - battery, airbox, all manner of pipes and some strange engine lift/hoist which looked like the engine was being supported - it was quite shocking!

Mechanic did not look at all happy.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'm sure that they need to remove the top engine mount to get at the cambelt, so thart explains the hoist. As for the other bits, the engine bay is extremely tight- it takes upwards of an hout just to do the fuel filter on my 2.0 D LTX

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They've just called - the tensioner (supplied with the new cambelt kit) is bent or they're not happy with it so they've put the old one back on (just the tensioner, not the belt) and need to reorder a new tensioner. They replaced the drive belt free of charge (dunno what that is.. how many belts are there?) as it had a hole in it apparently.
So, take it away, but bring it back in for the tensioner when it comes in.I can live with that, not their fault.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Vauxhall workshop work instuction manual(TIS) on compact disk that covers all Vauxhall models (including the Captiva when you go into the work instruction for an Antara). I had a look as I have done several other cam belts in the past. When it showed lifting the engine with a hoist to get the top engine mount off, a special locking tool for the cam and a special tool for the alternator dirive belt tensioner, I took it to the dealer.

FYI, you can buy the locking tool off the internet for £80.00.

Andy

·
Registered
997 Posts
They also show a "special " tool for taking the top off of the fuel filter housing. I bought one and sent it back as it was useless. I suspect that the special tool will be a bolt and a washer or something similar...
I'm fairly competent, but would never change a timing belt personnally, as if you get it wrong you've no comeback. I would use a good, vat registered independent garage who will be covered for mistakes and screw ups. Captiva engines are difficult to find and very expensive when you can find them.

Just saying...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Re. cam-belt change. Just been shown a print out byafriend with the Chevrolet manual on disk. It states as follows Captiva 2.0s DSL inspect at 30,000km [18,000 miles] 2yrs, and replace at 160,000km [over 99,000miles]. This seems in conflict with the mileage you are all changing allyours at.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have the manual and am aware of the intervals, but I have to say that I certainly wouldn't wait until 100k. I intend to change mine at 72k as I do most of my miles on the motorway.

Incidentally, Chevy also say that the diesel Captiva will do 42mpg....

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't get 42mpg out of my 2.0 diesel captiva no where near!!!
I have 2.0 diesel 2008 LT model with just over 48k on the clock when do you recommend me having mine done!?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Can only repeat what Chevrolet recommends from there own service schedule which is,inspect every 2 years or 30,000km and replace at 160,000km with no time limit. That is not exaggerated as ford for a lot of there 1.6,1.8,2.0,beltdiesels recommend 190,000km. That's 125,000miles as apposed to 99,000 on the Captiva. Now that's what is recommended for a slow revving dieseland I would have thought there are safety margins built into that figure, BUT of course the decision is yours, you could do it a bit sooner, or go the whole hog and do it every 40,000km and make the dealers ecstatic at £300 to £400 a pop!!!

·
Registered
997 Posts
T33EFF said:
I don't get 42mpg out of my 2.0 diesel captiva no where near!!! That was the ironic insinuation there, because noone does!
I have 2.0 diesel 2008 LT model with just over 48k on the clock when do you recommend me having mine done!? As I said above, it depends on what type of driving you do. Stop start driving puts a high number of high shock loadings through the belt, soI would change it more often, where as if you sit at 70 in 5th gear for 95% of your miles then a longer interval will be fine

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think the all important thing here is that the 2 year / 30,000 regularinspection is strictly adhered to. The manual itself shows the different signs of wear or damage to look for,if any of those aremanifest a change is due, if not taking it to the the recommended change is quite acceptable.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Or alternatively, if it needs changing, simply trade it in...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts