Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Is there any restrictions on towing the 2007 Captiva by being pulled by another car using a tow rope / tow line?
Usually its clearly stated in the instruction manual if its not possible or with restrictions regarding speed /distance.

There are a lot of pictures showing how to tow it by truck.
And a picture of the tow loop but no restrictions about cannot be pulled by other car.

I need to pull it 3-4 km 5 at the most and would really make it easier if i could do so then involving a tow truck.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Here in the UK there were and are restrictions on 'tow ropes'. Your best answer would be to check your Road Regulations effective in Sweden. Always use the dedicated towing 'eye bolt'.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem on the road, my question was more regarding the transmission etc since its 4 wheel drive (almost).

·
Registered
644 Posts
It would be a whole lot easier if you said whether your car is autonatic or manual.

In the Series 2 Antara owners handbook it says that vehicles with manual transmission can be towed on 4 wheels up to 55 mph unless there is something wrong with the transmission in which case it has to be a suspended tow or flat bed recovery.

For vehicles with automnatic transmission you should not tow the vehicle with the towing eye, it must be suspended tow or flat bed recovery.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
A Man, The Owners Handbook has a section together with several illustrations which answers your question.

There is a warning "If you tow the vehicle equipped with the all wheel drive (AWD) system while front or rear tyres are rolling on the road, the drive system in the vehicle could be severely damaged. Never tow your vehicle with the front and rear tyres on the road. "

"Vehicle with automatic transmission : Do not tow the vehicle using tow eye. Towing with a tow rope could cause severe automatic transaxle damage. When towing vehicle with automatic transaxle, use flat bed or wheel lift equipment. . For a vehicle with manual gearbox, the vehicle must be towed facing forward, not faster than 88km/h(55mph). In all other cases and when the transmission is defective, the front axle must be raised off the ground. "

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its the car in my signature.
2007 3.2 v6 its an automatic transmission.

Thanks Ed.
For the clarification.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Just to note - your Signature does not say whether manual or auto so Victor was correct to ask for clarification.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts