Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 2.0 litre Diesel A/T is 15 months old and has less than 500 km on the odometer. Shortly after buying it, I broke my wrist and until now do not have full use of my right hand. Since resuming driving I have been using a smaller car. For these reasons, the Captiva has only had infrequent outings and regular warm up sessions. Yesterday I wanted to start it and the engine only turned over once. I assumed the battery voltage could be low, although it showed 12.4 volts. I charged overnight and the voltage was higher and the headlights very bright. However trying to start produced the same result: turned over once and then stopped even with the key held to start. I noticed that prior to each retry, the glow-plug lamp did not come on. I disconnected the battery in case a reset might correct the problem, but except for requiring the radio code there was no change. I assume it is a sensor, electronic glitch, or other electrical problem. I checked all the fuses and relays etc. in the front and back fuse boxes and all seemed ok, but still have the same problem. I don't have a wiring diagram. Any ideas on what to look for.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Before digging any deeper see if you can get some jump leads and try astart that way, the battery may be still at fault, putting out 12v but not the amps for the glow plugs and starter motor. give it a try battery could still be nacked.

·
Registered
652 Posts
On the bright side, 15 months old with only 500km it will still be under warranty. If the jump start doesnt solve it, get onto your local Chevrolet dearler and tell them to fix it...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all thank you to Big Al andK.L.R. for your suggestions and apologies for not replying sooner, but I was waiting for the local Chevrolet Service workshop to open today. I did not try jumpers because I was 100% sure that the battery was not the problem. What I suspected turned out to be true ... it was a simple electrical fault, that I might have discovered, if I had played around with exchanging relays etc., but since fortunately there was no urgency and only 500 km on the clock, I decided not to disturb anything and learn from the technician, who must come to my place to fix the problem. He noticed, as I did, that certain warning lights that should normally come on when the key is turned to on did not. He said it could be one of the BCMs (Body Control Modules - I have always been puzzled by this nomenclature). He then took out what I later identified as the ACC/RAP (Accessories/Retained Accessory Power Relay (No. 22 in the Interior Fuse Block and not a BCM) and replaced it with what appeared to be an identical relay, borrowed from the Defog Relay position in the Engine Compartment Fuse Block. The warning lights all came on and the car started immediately. I am now minus the rear defog until I can get the new part, which is a very minor problem. Cheers to the Forum organisers.
I suggest all owners of similar models may want to note down the details, because it could be the difference between getting to where you're going and a tow home or to a workshop.

·
Registered
226 Posts
wow padre,

sounds like you are a qualified auto electrician now!!!,..

thanks for the update...

p.s. do you actually need a defogger in your country!!!?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Padre said:
He then took out what I later identified as the ACC/RAP (Accessories/Retained Accessory Power Relay (No. 22 in the Interior Fuse Block and not a BCM) and replaced it with what appeared to be an identical relay, borrowed from the Defog Relay position in the Engine Compartment Fuse Block. The warning lights all came on and the car started immediately.
Thanks for posting that fix, Padre - as you say, it could come in useful one day...

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear all guys!, what can I say......I has the same problem with a 2.2D from 2011 and only a few week ago, the same thing happend to me. But I just apply this new trick and the car works perferct again.

Also, just in case I tight a bit more the (+) cable from the batery to the solenoid on the starter. An now works!, thn for the tip!

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts