Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi people just wondering if any of you have had any issues with the car randomly cutting out whilst driving? Seems to almost bunny hop and for about 300yards then cuts out and wont start back up, had fuel pump,filter changed also cam and crank sensor changed... Any ideas???
2.0l diesel 100k on clock 57 plate
There are not fault codes stored in the vehicle and the garage who has had the car for the last 2 months is at there Witt's end with it, all I want is. Reliable car and at the moment I don't feel like it is this car and I am gutted as I absolutely love the car

UPDATE
Well car still isn't fixed, had new radiator, full service new tyres,new cam and Crank sensors ECU sent off to be tested/repaired and came back with no faults at all, so local garage is going to have to have another look over the car it now won't start at all even with the old Cam and crank sensors on... Beginning to loose my mind with this car only had it since November and so far has cost me the same amount to repair than I paid for the car...

Any ideas welcome!!!!.

·
Super Moderator
6,340 Posts
The warning lights showing are usually related to stability control problems and typically one or more defective ABS sensors or a cracked reluctor ring (very difficult to see fine split). Has any one checked the ABS sensors or the connectors to ABS. The vehicle may have gone into 'halt' safety mode.
You say there are no fault codes. What Code reader is being used by your dealer. GM have some obscure codes which only dedicated GM equipment can read.
Bunny hopping and stopping could possibly be - air fuel mixture error. Did the vehicle restart once allowed to cool down (you dont say). A hidden split in the air feed hose or even more obscure an old air hose (your is an old Series 1 model) which when engine is hot the hose softens and collapses (sucks in on itself) and starves the engine. There is a post on this which was elusive and eventually on my suggestion the 'soft hose' was found to be the culprit.
You will find some helpful suggestions on Sign-up, vehicle data in Signature, how to Topic Caption, and how to use the Topic Search function on this link:-

·
Registered
630 Posts
The fuel filter must be tightened stupidly tight on these otherwise it will leak and you will get air bubbles in the fuel.

As a quick check try starting it with Easystart. If it starts then you know where your problem lies.

Try disconnecting the Cam sensor and see if it will start. Sometimes the ECU defaults to basic setting and lets the vehicle start although you may get misfiring and even some smoke.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Garage has tried it with easy start, it did work but doesn't work anymore and we've changed the fuel filter and made sure it was stupidly tight as I'd seen in on a previous post I believe he has tried disconnecting the CAM sensor and trying but I'm not 100% sure

·
Super Moderator
6,340 Posts
Haribokid,
Lets go back to square one. On your first post under ECU a month ago I urged you to provide all back history on the vehicle and I also provided you the Guidance on using the forum.
A month on and you have still not fully completed your Location other than we understand UK. (When correctly completed the cursor over the flag will show City/Town. Yours doesnt). By knowing where you are can assist Forum members direct you to a reliable Service Agent.

Currently you only refer to 'garage'. Is this 'garage' familiar with GM vehicles? You have had various things changed but I'm just wondering if the garage you are using has any in depth knowledge base pertinent to GM and in particular to Series 1 Captiva. I'm not criticizing what has been done but there is the risk of going on ad infinitum with guesswork solutions rather than actually 'nailing down' the problem.
Additionally you have not completed your Signature Footer with the Full Vehicle details. This was also in the previous Guidance link I gave you a month ago. If you dont read and action the guidance provided it makes us wonder how much attention you are paying to the support being provided and much more difficult for Forum readers to respond without knowing all the previous vehicle history. Clearly you didnt read the previous Guidance notes otherwise you would have known how to correctly caption a post before starting this one. Were you provided with previous owner service history. Was it a private sale or bought from a dealer?
You've had the vehicle since last November. Tell us whether there were any early 'symptoms' after purchase if so what were they, or did it just become troublesome 'out of the blue'?
I would be surprised if a 'no start vehicle' doesnt have some Diagnostic Codes Stored.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Garage is a local garage time who has years of knowledge of vehicles but hasn't worked on many captiva's the problem started about a week before I took it to the garage, as it random ally cut out whilst driving , tried to turn it over but wouldn't left it 20 minutes and tried again and started first time, after that I had no issues until the day it happened again but this time it didn't start at all borrowed a code reader from garage and there were no codes stored in the vehicle, eventually managed to get it to start whilst being towed managed to bump start the car, we put it down to needing a new fuel filter, so fitted one that day and collected car later on the same day or next day drove it back home no issues, went to go out later on in the day and managed to get about 2 miles away from home/ called the garage back up as he is a good friend of mine, towed it back to his and has been working on it since. He thought it was the ECU after fault finding throughout the vehicle and couldn't find any issues, so I sent the ECU off for repair to be told that the ECU is fine and passed all tests they conducted.

Reunited the ECU to the car and still didn't start even with easystart this time and has been with the garage since, I know that he has changed the
  • cam and crank sensors.
  • Fuel pump
*Fuel filter
  • Checked all cabling
  • I suggested the MAF sensor as read it on another post still didn't work.
  • Battery is fine
  • Alternator is fine
  • Starter motor is fine
  • Had just had a full service 2 weeks prior to this happening.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Your engine may have lost compression due to fuel washeing the oil off the cylinder walls or perhaps broken ring(s) if too much Easystart was used. Maybe you should try a tow to see if you can get it to start.

Another thing could be the oil has drained out of the hydraulic tappets leaving you with little or no valve lift. Again, a tow start would help to correct this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts