Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Chevrolet Captiva 2011 AWD 2.2 VCDI 184 PS Automatic
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I had to change the cooling radiator because it started to leak. What worries me is that it did not break due to too much pressure in the cooling system.
Is it normal when I stop the hot engine and open the expansion vessel cap to pressurize the hot water through the upper return pipe into the vessel accompanied by the sound of bubbling?

Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive exterior Hood

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
I would NEVER open the the expansion vessel whilst it is hot !
Removal of the cap on a hot/warm expansion vessel (which will have a different pressure to the outside normal atmospheric pressure), will almost undoubtedly cause a requirement for the expansion vessel and its associated pipework to need to 'equalize' possibly/probably causing gurgling and bubbling in the process.

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
Your owners Handbook clearly issues a Warning in the Service & Care Section.

"Scalding hot coolant and steam could be blown out under pressure, which could cause serious injury. • Never remove the coolant reservoir cap when the engine and radiator are hot."

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Steelman, I confirm that this is normal, after a longer trip the cooling system builds up some pressure. The bubbles sound is also normal if you open the cap when you just pulled over after a trip and the engine is hot.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had leaking radiator issue on mine in about 100.000km. Radiator started leaking and it bent to bananas. It was caused by bad quality in my case...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts