Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Chevrolet Captiva 2011 AWD 2.2 VCDI 184 PS Automatic
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello group. I have a problem with my car, sometimes while driving the left rear wheel starts to make a rumble like a bad wheel bearing and after I stop and put my hand on the rim it is very hot. Also when the wheel starts to rumble and press the brake pedal the rumble becomes more pronounced. I went to the mechanic who changed the brake pads and the wheel bearing. The brake discs have been changed by the former owner, they are almost new, the caliper works normally according to the mechanic. The car does the same, more and more often lately. I don't understand what else it could be? One more detail, at low speed there is a random squeak from the same wheel, a noise of rubbing iron on iron.

·
Super Moderator
7,144 Posts
Steelman, You've mentioned the mechanic has replaced the wheel bearing and the brake pads.................. the only thing you didnt mention was the probably obvious cause ..... the rear inner brake drum brake pads. Binding here will create the heat and a displaced brake lining from the carrier will indeed create the noise of iron rubbing on iron - probably exactly that! I suspect you need to replace the inner drum (handbrake) linings and possibly the rear disk if the inner drum has been badly scored.
Note that replacing the inner brake lining will entail releasing the handbrake equaliser cables and then after the new inner drum brake linings have been replaced and adjusted, the brake cable equaliser will need to be recalibrated. There is a sequence to doing this for the handbrake to operate correctly. The forum search function will locate the existing discussions on this recalibration.

·
Registered
53 Posts
indeed sounds like a brake issue. so id the caliper is floating free, the pads are new and the disk is new, its probably a miss- adjusted parking brake. after replacing the rear disk which inner side is used for the parking brake, its possible that no one adjusted the parking brake free play correctly or at all. you will be surprised how non Chevy mechanics afraid of the electronic parking brake. search the forum like Ed suggested and you will find a very detailed description of adjusting the parking brake of an Antara which is the same car, Opel is a GM company.

Reactions: Aussie Ed

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Steelman,

Just wanted to chip-in here.

I know your mechanic has mentioned the caliper is sound but I've experienced this before - with my wife's previous car. The caliper was sticking which resulted in a very warm alloy plus the ABS was being triggered at times. When the ABS was working the brake pedal would judder. This oddness would typically trigger after a stint on a motorway or similar.

For us, the problem went away - briefly - after pushing the pistons back in and 'exercising' a few times off-car. When it returned, new discs and pads were fitted (the old discs had seen better days) and the problem was gone. Never got to address the caliper head-on after a third-party took the car out of circulation.

Jonty.

·
Registered
Chevrolet Captiva 2011 AWD 2.2 VCDI 184 PS Automatic
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the answers, I'll be back with feedback after I solve the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts