Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last saturday car would not start called the aa out mechanic came out plug in is computer lots of warning lights came on he just simply turned them off but dpf light was still flashing in time it started told me to drive at 50mph whilst.keeping revs high car was running rough would not rev up or speed up above 40 mph nursed it back home where again it would not start again called aa out again he once againplug in his computer and said cam position sensor was the problem told me not to drive it and get it towed to garage the garage as had it for 10 days know cant find fault but it wont start change cam sensor.checked injectors still wont start did driving it in the first place damaged.it more anybody help.im desperate Edited by: dicky69

·
Super Moderator
6,364 Posts
Dicky, tell us more. There is usually a lead up to a failure so had you been having lights on dash prior to non start condition. Is the garage a recognised Chevrolet service dealer? How knowledgeable on Chevrolet is the garage where you've taken it? Running rough can be EGR and or MAF (both of which can usually be cleaned). Lots of lights have been identified by other members previous posts as sometimes associated with cracked ABS sensor ring or failed ABS sensor.Have you owned from new, has it had regular services, what mileage?

Ed

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chevrolet main dealer had it for two weeks in the end it was cam position sensor problem and he told me it wanted timing resettting running fine now no lights on £300 lighter

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
£38.60 for cam position sensor the aa man was not right they but a new one but it made no difference it was the timing be reset that made it startEdited by: dicky69

·
Super Moderator
6,364 Posts
Wise move. The Series 1 has a belt which from reports on web became 'questionable' over about 60K (Series 2 went to chain).Unfortunately the belt is a devil to change because of everything else in the way. A touch expensive at dealer but only a fraction of what a new engine would cost if the belt failed !
Worthwhile to get water pump checked out at same time.

·
Super Moderator
6,364 Posts
You can find this info on the web, but to answer your question the belt only is £20 to £40 depending upon brand. Kits which include pulley idlers etc between £80 to £120 again depending upon brand/quality.It's not the belt/kit price that's the hit on the wallet, but the labour time getting to it.

·
Super Moderator
6,364 Posts
Well that's got that sorted. One less thing to worry about. Happy motoring.

Ed

PS: just noticed that I've now clocked up 2500 points with this latest post. There used to be a TV show where points mean prizes ........ here on the forum I dont think so, but hey it's all for the fun of it !
Happy & safe motoring Everyone

Ed

Edited by: Aussie Ed

·
Super Moderator
6,364 Posts
mdb said:
Ed......showing your age again mate!

Err.... Yes. Just had another B'day too! My first car needed starting with cranking handle. At least I dont need jump leads - yet!

·
Super Moderator
6,364 Posts
Belt stretched or tensioner pulleys not tightened enough and timing now incorrect?Rough running can be EGR gummed up.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
6,364 Posts
dicky69 said:
towed home again car in garage monday what is wrong with this car any help please

Dicky, you've already had several suggestions and until you have eliminated these then there is no way forward. Get the timing position checked again in case it has shifted following the cam belt & sensor change.
ERG & MAF either of these will contribute to rough running. It's no good saying it had a service...these items are not usually included in a service so go get them checked and cleaned (be a good idea anyway).
Get injectors checked again.

Ed

edit above should read EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve

Edited by: Aussie Ed

1 - 20 of 91 Posts