Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, great forum some really useful stuff, nice to know there are others to discus concerns with should they occur - other than Chevrolet.

Thought I would post a list of things I wish Chevrolet would change in next facelift:

1. Front interior light when key removed
2. Poor MPG - not even in the same ballpark as advertised
3. Wind noise - drivers side - when gusty very noticeable
4. No Autolock of doors - standard I thought these days
5. Lock other windows - locks front passenger window - not sure why
6. Poor vision on clock
7. Better support in seat base\sides
8. Alarm activates if you lock car too quickly
9. Middle seats better if three individual like SMax
10. Only one auto window
11. No spare wheel - acres of space for it though
12. Odometer & Computer a bit disconnected - why not all on same display and accessible via steering wheel?
13. DPF - pain and uses more fuel
14. Naff looking badge on steering wheel (didn't want to finish on 13 things)

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot I like about this car, the cruise control is well implemented (would be nice to have forward radar), the auto lights\ wipers work really well. It's quite quick if a bit rough.

Had a problem with reversing sensors seeing towbar, fixed this with black tape on the backplate of the towbar.

My comparison is an 06 S-Max which was better build\materials, bigger across middle row, mpg of 45 and handled very well, but not as good at towing.

Any more wishlist items from people - or is it just me?

·
Registered
15 Posts
No the Mk2 comes with an electric pump and tyre weld. I've bought another alloy as a spare but even if you buy the spare wheel carrier (available from Chevrolet) it only carries a space saver steel wheel.
Spare alloy now in shed !

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
Diydel, Interesting list, I certainly agree with 4,8 & 11. You missed off the chrome trim on air vents right hand drivers side which reflects in wing mirror and the 'glossy' mesh on the dash upper which also reflects into windscreen. It has been recognised for years that carmanufacturers should keep upper dash surfaces 'dark' to avoid reflection distraction onto screen. Chevvy hasnt remembered previous history of design 'do's and dont's'!
Fact remains it's still overall a **** good car for the money.

Aussie Ed

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
Correction to post: I missed off original Authors name - Isaidright. Just to put record straight.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Firstly a very good post, i also have a 61 plater.
1. Sorry, not sure what you mean.
2. Agreed, but all manufacturers seem to do it.
3. Not a problem in mine.
4. Wife pointed that one out to me, i never used it in previous cars.
5. Kiddie in front passenger seat.
6. Definitely rubbish clock, why isn't it in main display?
7. Haven't had an issue.
8. Haven't had that problem.
9. Agreed, but this set up up is quite common in other cars.
10. Luxury addition?
11. What new car does have a spare wheel these days?
12. Maybe.
13. Definitely right, but stuck with them for now.
14. It doesn't overly bother me.

This is the point where I should come up with my 14 points, but its been a long day, and I can't think of anything to add to your list right now, except they have to change the look of the rear of the car next time around, plus i'm seriously unconvinced about how long the tailgate lock and catch is going to last.

I'll go away and try to think of some more!

Good post though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guess spare wheel is a common gripe- love the spare alloy in the shed - oops!
, I bought a set of 4 16" alloys off ebay for £150 with brand new tyres - but a bit big to lug to South of France with caravan etc - was hoping to get something a bit lighter.

Johnnybgood -

5 - real pain, as no auto open means I have to open to vent quickly on hot day - not too many of those so far.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's the electronics that let the car down, i don't know why they couldn't have lifted some of the better features from cars like the insignia.

Bluetooth phone - very poor implementation
Display - things like outside temp, internal temp setting, range etc should be available at all times and not have to keep changing screens.
Display start up - very slow to boot.
As mentioned reflections from plastics - Although now solved with a Matt Grey marker pen
Would like to see active suspension option to soften up when required.
Auto folding option for wing mirrors would be nice
Fold down armrests the fixed centre one is too short.

However it is a nice car to drive, love the SD card reader use a 32GB one with all my music on and a couple of films for when stuck in a jam.
Loads of storage options
I like the compressor and tyre repair as the digital compressor can be used air only saving trip to garage.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Have anyone actually read tghe instructions on using the tyre weld repair kit.

I bought one of these years ago, when i had problems getting the wheels off my Volvo. No matter how many times I loosened and retightend the wheel nuts if I didnt do it every week they would seaze on. So in case of emergency I bought a can of this tyre weld.

The problem is before using you are supposed to remove the wheel, then remove the item that has punctured it. Try doing that beside the road in the dark. Also, after using it you cannot repair the tyre, which means a new one, even if the tyre is repairable, they cant because of the gunk left from the tyre weld. In rare occassions it can also damage alloy wheels.

So give me a spare any time, even a space saver.

Still carry the tyre weld as a backup, but check the expirary date....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Strangely enough i have never had a puncture on a car, did have one on a motorbike over 30 years ago and used the spray in repair.

I did manage to get the tyre repaired by then using an inner tube however the mechanic was not too happy cleaning the wheel up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agree centre restcould be better and it rattles, tyre Weld not great for large punctures and tyre written off, suffered too bad from reflections. Tyre wear seems very good, 8k miles so far and only half way worn. Would be looking for new set in 2k for s-max

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
Isaidright, I stopped the centre armrest box lid from 'chattering' by inserting some small offcuts of high density foam seal (black) just into the small cutouts where the lid lugs come down. Creates just enough 'buffer' to silience it. Reflection up into screen I solved by using black 'non slip' matting (used in caravan drawers etc available from Halfords) and cut piece to just cover the reflective part. Remember to make cutout for the light sensor.
Aussie Ed

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had a puncture on my rear offside tyre after 4 months. Didn't dream of using the puncture repair kit provided due to the mess it causes to the tyre and wheel. Instead I just pumped it up and drove straight to my local tyre dealer.
Unfortunately as I had guessed a new tyre was required as the offending nail had gone in right on the edge of the tyre. They did repair it while I waited 2 days for the new tyre to come through and it was fine until the replacement was done. I guess the repair could have lasted for years but it may well not have done.

It's the second new car in a row i've had where i've got a puncture after 3/4 months of purchase. Wife's fault each time as she had been driving the car each time prior to the punctures occurring!

·
Registered
997 Posts
These non repairable punctures- easily repaired with an inner tube- I know they say not to, but i have done it many times with the help of my friendly local tyre guy and never had an issue.
Just sayin'

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have had a tube fitted before (many years ago) to resolve a puncture. However, there is a very good reason why they say you shouldnt fit a tube in a tubless tyre, especially a low profile one. That is the tube can "twist" in the tyre and result in a "type" of blow-out, where the tube breaks with such force it can pop the tyre off the rim. Now I've not seen this happen, I'm only reporting info I have ben told by an RAC guy.
Mind you, as most tyres are tubless these days, you may find it hard to find an inner tube to start with. Last time I saw one was at the beach where kids where playing with it...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts