Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody had issues with alarm repeatedly going off, mine keeps going off have checked all windows and doors closed properly, but goes off, anybody know how to reset???

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Roysty,

Can't say I have had a problem with my alarm going off other than perhaps twice when locking the car and instant reset on unlocking, I have to say that when it did go off it did not sound very loud. Have you tried isolating the Ultrasonics in order to eliminate them from the cause, this can be done using the overhead switch, if they are causing the false trip then that should stop it then you know where to look. Other than that it might be a faulty door bonnet or hatch switch. Finally of course it might be the alarm module that is FUBAR and that will be require a visit to the dealer to sort out.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Car alams usually work by monitoring a voltage drop. So for instance, when you open the door the internal light comes on, hence setting off the alarm. So check you havent anything that is drawing power, such as a courtesy light left on.

The sensors inside work on "pressure", so movement moves the air which changes air pressure.

I'm afraid I cant be of more help than that. Apart from saying, I remember a post ages back on here about alarms going off.

Hope this is not completely useless info for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a brief issue with that myself. Alarm went off 3 or 4 times in a short period of time (over a weekend) for no apparent reason but hasn't done it for a while.
I wondered if I perhaps left a window open very slightly. Since then, I make sure all door and windows are completely closed. Not had any issues since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had a similar problem with my 2010 Captiva, alarm (the one you can disable from the button in the roof) was ok for the first few months but then started going off randomly, eventually had to get the unit replaced (at no cost to me).Neighbours are friends again...

·
Registered
214 Posts
To je z výroby vybavené alarm a imobilizér určená pre anglický trh.Má vnútorný senzor, ktorý aktivuje, ak osoba prestávky sa do auta.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I havethe same problem I have to press the overhead switch every time that I put the alarm on if I dont it will go off repeatedly

Is there a way of repairing this without going to the dealers to get ripped off

·
Registered
10 Posts
HI Roysty.
I had a simular problem recentley over a couple of nights and found it was a moth in the car setting off the sensor have you checked for flys or spiders as they could do this?

Milo

·
Registered
652 Posts
Becareful, not all sensors are for the alarm. Some are for the climate control, you may not want to desensitive those...

Personally I would not try the hair spray technique. I cant say if it will work or not, but spraying hairspray on a sensitive electronic component isnt a good thing to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Found the sensors. I took the unit out and there was dust /fluff in them, blowed them out and so for all OK.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My alarm was going off alot, interior sensors removed for past month and it's been fine. New ones should have been fitted this week but car is still with dealer for other things, been a week now

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi every one. I know this thread is quite old however this was the place I came to when my 2009 captiva ltx developed an alarm problem, and now that I've cured the problem I feel it's only right to share my experience here. My alarm started going of intermittently and at no set times. I tried all the things people had suggested here but there was no way I was taking it to vauxhall's for them to charge £99 per hour + vat just to investigate! In the end I focused on the rear quarter windows that house the alarm circuit as these windows have a soldered wires on the bottom of the glass which can corrode over time. I stated be removing the plastic panels around the windows there are 4 screws per side plus the luggage hook screw. ( 1 screw behind the little oval "airbag" cap near the top of the passenger door and 1 behind the little round cap in the hand hold again by the passenger wheel arch) the rest of the panel is held by clips so you just have to work around the top of the panel to release. You have to pull the bottom panel away first so you can fully remove the top half as the top half sits behind the bottom. Once the panel is released it will still be attached via the seat belt however you can just let the panel hang down whilst you work on the window problem. Initially I purely disconnected the white electrical club connecting the window to the alarm circuit, this stopped the alarm going of initially but unfortunately this didn't last long and once again the alarm would go off soon after setting. I then spoke to a very helpful auto electrician who had had prior experience With these cars, he told me not only to disconnect the plug but in order for the alarm to think the circuit was still intact you have to join the two wires together. So I simply disconnected the plug, cut the two wires and joined then together in a connector block. Once this was done on both sides the panels were replaced and the alarm set....... And if by Magic no alarm going off. Out of interest I did get a price from chevrolet/vauxhall and a replacement window is £230 +vat without fitting! Anyway I completed this about 6 weeks ago and it's never gone of since. Hope this information helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
we have a 2010 Captiva and just started having problems with our alarm going off for no reason, seems like its either triggered by the stereo being on or the wipers being on when the cars all locked up but wondered if you found out what caused your alarm to go off and what did you have to do to fix it. thanks
Edited by: mrsshuggie

·
Super Moderator
6,629 Posts
I think Marcs post of 7 Sept 2014 answers your question. He disconnected and rejoined some wires.
Try his solution first and if this doesnt work then come back with more info on what you have tried.

·
Registered
22 Posts
the alarm on my 2010 captiva ltx which i've had from new,has just started going off. it only seems to be a problem if the car is parked on a slope & is ok if I press the interior sensor switch when i get out which is a pain because sometimes i forget.any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
6,629 Posts
Brian, have you tried some or all of the suggestions in the previous posts above? Once you've tried these if there isnt a cure report back and we'll all put our thinking caps back on.In my case I solved it by making a 5-7 second delay after shutting last door before pressing the key fob lock button. The onboard sensors and computer need a few seconds to run a 'self test' on all sensors before it sets. No problem now for two years (except when I left a window open just slightly and the wind came up and the pressure sensor detected it).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts