Chevrolet Owners Club banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,101 Posts
A P2757 code will be reported when the vehicle's onboard powertrain control module (PCM) detects an issue in the torque converter clutch pressure control solenoid circuit. This aspect of the powertrain automates the clutch application in order to optimize the engine's use of fuel.

I think you will find this solenoid is contained inside the auto gearbox housing in the torque converter. These solenoids use the ATF to operate so we are back again to the very point I mentioned previously, "has the ATF ever been checked , flushed or replaced" ???????? You havent answered this question!
If the gearbox/torque converter is operating on low ATF or burnt worn out ATF, then the solenoids will not operate effectively. What was the opinion of the Service engineer who identified the PP2757?

All you are doing is asking questions without doing anything to eliminate.
It is time you started getting some basic 'service items' (in this case ATF) checked and actioned.
You need to get basic 'can do' items checked off so that elimination can start. From the code you have now provided there is a very good chance that you need the ATF flushed and replaced to start with and then it can be determined if this has resolved the problem or whether there is permanent damage to the solenoid.

·
Registered
116 Posts
A P2757 code will be reported when the vehicle's onboard powertrain control module (PCM) detects an issue in the torque converter clutch pressure control solenoid circuit. This aspect of the powertrain automates the clutch application in order to optimize the engine's use of fuel.

I think you will find this solenoid is contained inside the auto gearbox housing in the torque converter. These solenoids use the ATF to operate so we are back again to the very point I mentioned previously, "has the ATF ever been checked , flushed or replaced" ???????? You havent answered this question!
If the gearbox/torque converter is operating on low ATF or burnt worn out ATF, then the solenoids will not operate effectively. What was the opinion of the Service engineer who identified the PP2757?

All you are doing is asking questions without doing anything to eliminate.
It is time you started getting some basic 'service items' (in this case ATF) checked and actioned.
You need to get basic 'can do' items checked off so that elimination can start. From the code you have now provided there is a very good chance that you need the ATF flushed and replaced to start with and then it can be determined if this has resolved the problem or whether there is permanent damage to the solenoid.
If it`s a 6T45 gearbox I`ve strippied and rebuilt one. If you need my auto gearbox workshop manual I`d be happy to lend it you. Howard.

·
Super Moderator
7,101 Posts
Topman, That is a very kind offer. What we are not sure of is whether MikeSA is mechanically minded enough to do such an overhaul himself.
The main problem is we are not being told what has actually been done to the vehicle. The very first symptoms appeared to be very much related to ABS (and Member Ches thought the same thing). MikeSA said he would replace the ABS sensors (although I did say they can be checked first to avoid cost of possible unnecessary replacement).
We still dont know whether the ABS suggestion has been actioned or eliminated.
The latest code (P2757) may well be a totally unrelated issue but solenoid damage/failure cannot be ruled out until basic first elimination of checking /replacing ATF is carried out. We are floundering somewhat until we get feedback from MikeSA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all. Firstly, yes I am extremely mechanically minded, although it may not seem so sometimes haha. Secondly I have resolved the issue. I removed the solenoid plate on the gearbox, tested the resistance of the sensors (all within reasonable range). The issue was that 2 of the sensors (selector and torque control) had loosened slightly not allowing correct fluid to pass through. Tightened them, cleaned everything inside I had access to and reassembled. I flashed all codes off and took the car on a one hour highway test drive mostly over 100kph and the car drove flawlessly. Thanks for everyone's guidance and assistance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Topman, That is a very kind offer. What we are not sure of is whether MikeSA is mechanically minded enough to do such an overhaul himself.
The main problem is we are not being told what has actually been done to the vehicle. The very first symptoms appeared to be very much related to ABS (and Member Ches thought the same thing). MikeSA said he would replace the ABS sensors (although I did say they can be checked first to avoid cost of possible unnecessary replacement).
We still dont know whether the ABS suggestion has been actioned or eliminated.
The latest code (P2757) may well be a totally unrelated issue but solenoid damage/failure cannot be ruled out until basic first elimination of checking /replacing ATF is carried out. We are floundering somewhat until we get feedback from MikeSA.
Thank you for the offer.

·
Super Moderator
7,101 Posts
Success at last. The provision of code P2757 was the eventual turning point of diagnosis.
Safe & happy motoring.

Reactions: MikeSA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well. That was short lived 🤣🤣🤣 . It started again. Same fault code. Yes I do have new gearbox oil in. Does anyone please have the diagram of which sensor is which? Unfortunately our own dealers cannot tell me which is the correct one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all. Just joined up to contribute to this discussion.

My daughter recently bought a 2009 Holden Captiva. 2.0L diesel. (Details in signature block). We bought it in South Australia and it had a long drive to The ACT to get home. Right from the get go had issues similar to the Original Poster.

At > 100km/h, MIL on, loss of cruise control. ESP and Traction control off, Gear box in limp mode (2nd and 4th gear only). Possibly related, at >100km/h the car vibrates a bit.

Associated codes with the failure:
U0401 Invalid Data Recieved from ECM/PCM A
P2757 Auto transmission Fault
C0561 Option Configuration Error.

A bit more info... the car doesn’t do this all the time. Often you can drive for hours without problem, and other times you’ll get it repeatedly. I did a bit of research and came to the conclusion there was a dirty or faulty speed signal from one or more of the ABS sensors. That in turn causes the U0401 code, which then unlocks the torque converter and puts the car trans in limp mode generating the P2757 code. The Loss of traction control with code C0561 is due to loss of ABS signal seemed to confirm the diagnosis.

I did a full service on the car immediately, including a 10L flush of the trans. The fluid level is spot on, and nice and clean. The trans itself is flawless outside of the times it’s commanded to limp mode as above.

Regarding the vibrations at highway speeds above. Initially it was much worse when we got the car. I discovered all 4 wheels horribly out of balance, and the front rotors badly warped. All that’s sorted now, but there is still a noticable vibration > 100km/h, and the problems above still manifest themselves.

I inspected all the ABS sensors, all were clean, and with clean connections. A cracked or broken tone ring is a good suggestion. In the service history the rear rotors had been machined. It’s possible there was some work done that damaged the ABS tone ring. I’ll check on that and report back.

Also I was interested to read about possible wheel bearing issues causing faulty ABS signal. Question, is this a front wheel or rear wheel issue typically?

·
Super Moderator
7,101 Posts
ACG, Welcome to he Forum.

You've wrapped several discussion issues into one post. Rather more difficult to answer.
From all this we have to start eliminating something(s).
Firstly the with new AFT I'd like to think gearbox is okay.

Where does the vibration appear to come from? Is it through steering or front or back of vehicle? You dont tell us.
Depending on the answer you could have a tyre issue, drive shaft balance issue, or rear alignment problem (posted elsewhere on the Forum).

Limp home mode is typically ABS related. You say you 'inspected' the ABS sensors but you dont actually say you electronically tested them. Small multimeter can do this and it is posted elsewhere (use Forum Search tool for this topic).

Reluctor Ring (what you've called Tone Ring) damage can be a cause. On an older vehicle such as this one the rings can rust and split causing misreading. Or rough handling of the shafts if for some reason they have previously been removed. Might link in with vibration issue. (Previous posts on both these topics - use the Forum Search tool to locate).

Wheel bearing issue? Possibly get them checked to eliminate or include as potential cause.

Previous posts as separate issues could well be worth reading up. Go to three white dots top right header bar. Select Advanced Search. Complete search questions (leave member name blank as not known).

Report back as separate issues is preferred otherwise multi-part answers can become intermixed.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the welcome Aussie Ed!

Yes, that was a bit of a info dump on my behalf, I guess it was a relief to finally find a good forum with people, that have similar issues.

Ok, vibrations aren’t through the steering wheel, more through the chassis, so most likely the rear wheels. When we got the car, and were eliminating the vibration sources, initially the tyre shop didn’t balance the rear (more worn) tyres, saying they had irregular wear. (Goodyear Optimax) I only mentioned the vibrations as possibly a contributing factor to the failures this thread is about. I don’t hear any bearing howl, so most likely this is unrelated... I’ll get some new rear tyres and that should help.

I think the ABS sensors are the source of my issue. I only visually inspected them, looking for an dirt, or other foreign matter that could cause a poor signal.. I’ve now read up on how to test them and will do that next, as well as inspecting the reluctor ring. I won’t see the car for another 3-4 weeks, daughter is away, so will report back.

thanks for the advice on separating issues in different threads. I’ll do that. 👍

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all... I've finally gotten some quality time with the daughters Captiva above and gotten some more data on my problem above (and potentially the OP authors issue too).. I'll start a separate post rather than hijack this one any further.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I saw that you have 2 error codes related to CAN communication. I think this is the starting point. Try to follow the wiring, inspect it for melted/chewed wires and check if moving it makes the faulty behavior appear. I would start from the ECM and then move to the wires that go near hot parts of the engine.

U0401 CHEVROLET Description A Controller Area Network (CAN) is a vehicle bus standard designed to interconnect automotive devices without a host computer. Operating information and commands are exchanged among the devices. The devices have programmed information about what messages are needed to be exchanged on the serial data circuits. Some devices are constantly receiving information from other devices through serial data communication network. The invalid data Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be set when a receiving device detects a discrepancy in the information it receives from the Engine Control Module (ECM) causing its integrity to be questioned.

Read more: U0401 Chevrolet - Invalid Data Received From Engine Control Module

C0561 CHEVROLET Meaning
The Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) receives serial data messages from the Body Control Module (BCM), Engine Control Module (ECM), Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC), and the Transmission Control Module (TCM) which are needed to perform Antilock Brake System (ABS), Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES), or Traction Control System (TCS) functions. This DTC indicates that there are no problems in the EBCM. The BCM, ECM, IPC and the TCM should be checked for a possible fault.

You can check the link bellow for details for C0561: C0561 Chevrolet - System Disabled Information

Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I saw that you have 2 error codes related to CAN communication. I think this is the starting point. Try to follow the wiring, inspect it for melted/chewed wires and check if moving it makes the faulty behavior appear. I would start from the ECM and then move to the wires that go near hot parts of the engine.

U0401 CHEVROLET Description A Controller Area Network (CAN) is a vehicle bus standard designed to interconnect automotive devices without a host computer. Operating information and commands are exchanged among the devices. The devices have programmed information about what messages are needed to be exchanged on the serial data circuits. Some devices are constantly receiving information from other devices through serial data communication network. The invalid data Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be set when a receiving device detects a discrepancy in the information it receives from the Engine Control Module (ECM) causing its integrity to be questioned.

Read more: U0401 Chevrolet - Invalid Data Received From Engine Control Module

C0561 CHEVROLET Meaning
The Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) receives serial data messages from the Body Control Module (BCM), Engine Control Module (ECM), Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC), and the Transmission Control Module (TCM) which are needed to perform Antilock Brake System (ABS), Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES), or Traction Control System (TCS) functions. This DTC indicates that there are no problems in the EBCM. The BCM, ECM, IPC and the TCM should be checked for a possible fault.

You can check the link bellow for details for C0561: C0561 Chevrolet - System Disabled Information

Good luck!
Thanks Ches, I appreciate the follow up and the links above. I did type a follow up message in the Captiva forum as a new post, but it vanished somehow, and I couldn't be bothered doing it again.

I've cleaned the connectors for the wheel speed sensors, the EBCM and the ECM. I'm not getting the U0401 error anymore, what I am getting is C0561-71, and when viewing the ABS system live data it comes up with TCS failed. (also as a symptom the trans goes into limp mode, 2nd and 4th gear only, P2757 - torque convertor unlocked code). This only occurs when going faster than 120kph.

So my problem I assume is between the TCS and EBCM... above 120kph only. (not yawing, steering straight ahead). -71 refers to invalid serial data, so a CAN communication problem as you suggest.

I did see a fault in the ABS system for the front left wheel speed sensor recently, but isn't showing now. I assume the wheel speed sensors are a input to the TCS, so I'll change out the front left sensor and inspect the hub for cracks etc and report back.

Sound like a reasonable plan of attack?

P.S. does the TCS module live inside the EBCM?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

I've 2008 Chevrolet Captiva and after going through the full service and week of superb driving, the car lost all its power. It has to be accelerated at top to move slowly and once its parked, it will not move forward even at 5000RPM, but it does goes in reverse with no issues. I've checked the error code and it says P0700 error. Is it too generic or does it says someting? My service guy has said to write it off but I would like to give it a go further. Any suggestions or clues as the car has only done 112k and I really love this car. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,101 Posts
AA, Is this vehicle Automatic gearbox - I'm assuming so by the caption topic. What mileage? If it is automatic when was the ATF checked, drained, flushed replaced?
You are correct that P0700 is generic but I notice the 07e8 sub code (air flow problem?).
Here are some tips for new Forum users:- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

Vehicle details and World location (system believes you to be UK ?). Please add/confirm.

There are numerous existing discussions on P0700 which maybe further helpful reading here:- Search results for query: P0700

Other Forum members may have some thoughts but we've not got too much to go on at the moment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Ed. Yes, its an Automatic gearbox. ATF was flushed just a week before the car completely stopped.

Vehicle details are as below and is registered in UK.
Vehicle make: CHEVROLET
Model: CAPTIVA
No. of seats: 7
Year of manufacture: 2008
Cylinder capacity: 1991 cc
Fuel type: DIESEL
Wheelplan: 2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weight: 2505 kg

I'll go through the query you have mentioned. The car has done only 112k and after full service including ATF flushed and replacement, it was driving fantastically.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,101 Posts
Amrik, The information you have given needs to go into your Sign-Up data and not into the discussion of a post.
Please fully read my previous link which is repeated here:- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

Data in the general discussion simply becomes 'lost' as pages progress. By correctly completing in the dedicated Data sections this then appears automatically every time you post and Forum Members can instantly see the data.

Regarding the Service the vehicle had - especially the ATF - was this carried out professionally noting that there is a very specific process for drain and especially refill.

It worries me when things go wrong shortly after supposedly being 'serviced'.
Was the correct grade of Fluid used - what was used? Was the vehicle run through the full refill process? Was the filler plug properly replaced?

For some reason my gut feeling is it is a gearbox related issue .

Maybe other Forum members have other suggestions.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts