Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008, Captiva, 2.0 Diesel, automatic transmission
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Is been a couple of days that my Captiva keeps those lights on the dashboard. (See the pic below) If I drive for a couple of km and then turn of the engine and then turn it on again some of the lights will turn off but not the ABS light and then while driving those lights will all turn off. And will be ok for the rest of the day.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,924 Posts
From your description of ABS / Stability control lights going off after you have driven a distance possibly indicates that you have incorrect or low tyre pressure in one wheel. Road use is warming the tyre up and increasing the tyre pressure and partially correcting the rotational diameter thus self cancelling the lamp.
So the first thing is recheck and inflate tyre pressures to correct pressure for your model (not stated). If you have been running on a seriously underinflated tyre have the tyre checked professionally for side wall integrity damage.
It is also possible that you have a lose or corroded connector to one of your ABS sensors and vibration is remaking contact and the light goes off.
If you are not mechanically capable of checking and correcting the ABS yourself, for your own safety take your vehicle to a capable mechanic.

We do not know the year or model variant of your Captiva because you havent advised us any history about your vehicle.

Kindly complete the Sign-Up sections which you left 'blank' which are (i) your World location (the forum system believes you may be in Albania?), and (ii) vehicle information. The following link will provide you with Forum Guidance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your feedback. I will update my profile to include all the required information.
My Captiva is 2008 diesel 2.0. I already checked the tyre pressure to make sure it has the same pressure on all tyres and as well I did the convergence of tyre parameters just to exclude this as a possible problem. But even after doing so it still has the same problem. I will take it to the mechanic to check the ABS sensor as you advised.

·
Super Moderator
7,924 Posts
Although probably an unlikely cause, it may be worth getting the wheel balancing weights checked just in case you've lost some weights which may affect wheel stability which may be detected by the ABS sensor(s). A worn wheel bearing can also be a cause.

Now we have vehicle information I notice that it is a 2008 model. On older vehicles it is possible that corrosion (rusting) of the reluctor rings (which the ABS sensor 'reads') can occur which can sometimes split the ring. This can give false sensing. Apart from testing the connections and the ABS sensors it may be worth while getting your mechanic to the check the reluctor rings for misalignment or damage.
The Forum Advanced Search function (three white dots to right of header bar) will list the existing discussions on Reluctor Rings.
Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a quick update on my post, mechanics checked sensors related with all the lights that were on and there was no issues. But they found that the ESP system wasn't working properly so they had to replace it. They said to try for a couple of days and see if it resolved the problem as they were not quite sure, however the lights did turned off and the car is working fine now but I have to see if this continues like this. I will update you in the next coming days.
Thanks

·
Registered
2008, GM Korea, Chevrolet Captiva 2.0 VCDI, AWD
8 Posts
Hello,
Is been a couple of days that my Captiva keeps those lights on the dashboard. (See the pic below) If I drive for a couple of km and then turn of the engine and then turn it on again some of the lights will turn off but not the ABS light and then while driving those lights will all turn off. And will be ok for the rest of the day.

I have the same car as you and I had this problem twice. Those lights are warning lights and they turn all on even when there is a small problem. For me they turned on not only once.
At first my car had a problem with the front ABS sensor and just because of that all those lights turned on. Fixed the sensor and then it was good.

Another time they all turned on when the alternator wasn't working. Actually they will turn on even if the battery is very low.

In your case I would sugest to check for the ABS sensor at the mechanic. In the down below link was the same problem for me. Check it from you tube.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts