Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a manual Captiva LTX Diesel (for those who don't know), a 2008 (57 Plate) with 37k miles.

Yesterday, I was coming back from Reading after a long (very long) working day, and I knew I would need Diesel. But like a fool, I was on the M4 and thought "just go to the next one", not wanting to pay motorway service prices.

Just past the exit for Chippenham, my worst fear happened. The fuel warning light came on. I reset my Avg Fuel Cons on the computer, checked the Range to Go figure. The computer said 79 miles to go and my Sat Nav said 69 to home. I thought, this was a Top Gear Challenge moment. OK I didn't want to get home without fuel, but knew if these where correct I should at least get to my local Tesco station about 10 miles from home. So I switched off all non essential electrics (ie Air Con, Radio, put Sat Nav on Battery) and away we go...

I maintained a 70 mph, right up to the the junction for the M32 where I experienced road works so eased up to 50mph and continued at 50 (56). When I got on the Severn Bridge, I checked my Average MPG (computer read 12.2 lts/100 miles - about 37 mpg) and the range read 36 miles to go, the Sat Nav said 52 miles to home. WOW I have increased my range by 16 miles (according to the computer). I'm going to make it... I thought. At that point I glanced at the Range and it zeroed (--- on the display). I was now really on fumes, as the computer gave up and said you're on you own. I changed the setting to AVG and noticed it had improved to 12.0 lts/100 miles (just short of 38mpg). What to do ? come off and find a station or press on... I remember someone saying that diesel cars "cough" before running out, no cough, splutter, nothing. So I pressed on.

I now drove the rest at 50-56mph (50 through the speed check area). I was getting nervous but I made it.

Not sure how much diesel was still left when I pulled in to the Tesco's at Risca, but I hadn't experienced a cough, splutter nothing... The Captiva had driven a good 50 miles after the fuel light had come on with no problem, although I drove it sensibly and without unnecessary electrics.

When I filled up I filled right up to the brim, and put in 66.88 ltrs. I know the Captiva has an official 65 ltr tank, but I don't think that includes the "pipe" to the brim. If anyone knows the actual full figure I would be interested, if only to guess how much fuel I had left. I guess very little.

Personally I was impressed. According to the trip computer I was getting just short of 38mpg (12.0 lts/100 miles) which is not far from the official figures. But it does show to get that you need to drive so carefully and not use the nice "extras" in your car. But it is good to know, in case you get caught out.

By the way, after this experience, I was checking the owners book for "bleeding the fuel", as previous diesels I have had, state if you run out of fuel you have to bleed the system to get it working again. I couldn't see anything for the Captiva. Do you have to bleed the fuel if you run out, and if so, any idea the process to do this....

Cheers.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'm not sure re the actual systems used on the Captiva, but most CR diesels self bleed. Well done with the 38mpg though. I find my average is slightly better whenIuse my aircon, going from 31 ish to 33 ish and i've repeated that over the past 2 weeks consistently. I generally use my aircon little and drive like a vicar, although I do use my cruise alot on the motorway, which I would have though would have helped if anything! If i could get up to 38mpg I could die a happy man...

Iain

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi KL in the valleys, bernie from carmarthen here.
DO NOT run out of fuel. "damage to the fuel pump caused by mis-fuelling or running out of fuel is not covered under warranty as the lubrication of the pump is destroyed"

i have just phoned my master service manager on your behalf (and mine) so Please don't run out of fuel. it will cost you in excess of £1500 to get a new pump.

There is a morrisons petrol station a couple of miles off j17 chippenham. if not you sat nav should show you the nearest petrol staion from any junction, and you,ll save that 10p a litre.

happy motoring

bernie

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sorry, forgot to add, most manufacturers are the same, Bridgend Ford, (bless them) had to console a customer whose wife ran out of fuel on his 5 day old fiesta tdci and he had to pay.. it's in the handbook sir... I feel sorry for the guy.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Bernie (from Carmarthen
).

I cant believe that... Not saying you are wrong, but someone, somewhere in the chain is making a fast buck out of that.

I can understand the bit about "lubrication of the pump", etc., but I cant believe the pump is knackered by running out of fuel. Ok, if you tried and tried to start the car with no fuel, or something like that so that the pump kept running with no fuel, but if the car breaks because you run out of fuel then that is a serious design flaw, which Chevy or any other manufacture would get beat up on.

It's like me saying that a power cut will seriously damage my PC. Ok, I may lose data if not saved, I may even find I get disk errors or corrupt files, but it can be fixed without spending money on it (usually).

I dont usually run the car that low on fuel, it was an exception, but if I was told what you said by a garage, I would go elsewhere.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Diesel injector pumps are high pressure devices with very fine tolerances and do not like running dry or without lubrication ie pumping petrol (!).

I have not found any mechanic who is aware of any low fuel level (run dry" protection.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sorry Kl, but it is a high pressure pump, and I called a vauxhall master services manager who I know, and he knows my experience in the trade, and he would not lie to me. The Antara has the same engine. these pumps can usually be repaired for about £800 but no main dealer will do it, you'ld have to go to an indie. and now that i have a good main dealer, that is where i'm going. by the way i got a reply finally from chevrolet, Mark cox, customer services director, and also an apology. i didn't want compensation for the issues with the dealer service, just recognition that there had been problems. And yes all the manufacturers are using these vcdi cdti tdci etc systems and some are better than others. ours doesn't use siemens which is a good sign!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not questioning that running or trying to continually run the car without diesel will "damage" the pump. What I'm saying is that running out, once or twice is not (or should not) cause damage that needs the pump replaced.

Of course, if you do this regularly, then I would expect damage which would need a replacement.

I cannot believe that ANY car manufacture would say, run out of fuel and your car is knackered.... Not a good selling point for a car.

But, saying this, it is not something I do regularly.... I usually aim to re-fill before 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If manufacturers have systems which get damaged when a vehicle runs out of fuel, then they should ensure that owners know about this. I would imagine a good lawyer could inflict serious damage to the reputation of any company in court. If anyone from GM or any other manufacturer is reading this thread they could let us know!

·
Registered
380 Posts
sorry once is enough!
as some one else posted they are very high pressure units built to very tight tolerances and the time most people take to stop when running out while moving at say 50mph to pick any figure is enough time, because the pump will still try to pump even if there is no fuel. there would need to be a sensor to warn that the engine will cut out shortly if fuel goes below a certain level and that would add complexity and cost. All the motoring organisations recommend filling up as soon as you reach a quarter tank. Not having a go at you, but all these bits for more power/extra emission control/better fuel consumption come at a cost which is complexity.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've found recently that I can improve my fuel consumption by NOT using cruise control. You would have thought that this would not have been the case, but I used to notice the same thing on a previous car which had cruise control (Mitsubushi diesel). I could get better tank range on a long journey if I didn't use cruise too much but instead maintained a constant speed manually. Not knowing much about cars, I don't know why this should be the case, but its definately noticable.

·
Registered
380 Posts
EVO 370, Ford bridgend did point out to their customer that it was in the ford handbook.

as said before i am now retired but spent many years in the motor trade, and if you have a clear honest question, most dealers will answer you clearly free of charge, obviously if you require technical assistance the might charge if the vehicle is not under warranty, but in the main if you get to know your dealer and are courteous, (we have married parents too!) I know of many instances where my dealer principal in a jaguar range rover dealerships has taken the hit on behalf of customers, simply because they were his/our customers. i would suggest to any car owner with a problem, approach the main dealer first. there are many many good ones, and as in all walks of life treat the person you are dealing with as you would like to be treated. Oh and finally
to finish, if in the uk everybody didn't want everything so cheap there would be less problems. Not a rant, but i could not count the times when we had Range rovers ang jaguars brought in by owners who went just anywhere, had problems and then paid our rates for repairs on top of the bodged repairs. by the way there is nothing wrong in going elsewhere for tyres or an oil change or on some models brake pads, but not everyone is capable or competent to do all work and i could point out an excellent indepedant jag dealer not many miles from where i live when i'm just ouside london

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just bought one of these devices for my Garmin nuvi SatNav.

http://www.lemon-digital.co.uk/products.php?Product=862&Title=Garmin+ecoRoute+HD+Onboard+Computer

It plugs into the cars data port and records realtime data from the cars computer. Then using s/w on the SatNav it gives some interesting diagnosis, on fuel comsumption, engine load, etc. It also monitors for the cars error codes and displays them in real time.

Bit too early to give details, but just been on a test drive and around town car averaged 31 MPG, which is good considering it was up and down welsh valley streets.

Now I understand that if the s/w is flawed it means nout, but it is Garmin s/w as aposed Chevy, so either they are both rubbish, or the Captiva IS capable of getting the magic combined MPG of 38mpg, just have to be wary of the driving conditions.

I did a round trip from South Wales to Reading again yesterday, only this time filled it to the brim before I set out and when I got back. Calculating against this I got 37mpg.

All in all, not sure the Captiva is as bad on the fuel consumption as first though. Just their s/w on the cars computer is rubbish.

·
Registered
30 Posts
On the last fill up, I got 35mpg, combined town and motorway driving (about 50/50). I've got a 2l LT 7 seat diesel. I have to say that I'm not a fast driver and am quite happy to sit in the inside lane on the motorway and watch everyone zip past me at 90mph. I usually catch them eventually anyway at the first sign on congestion and after years of driving just like them, I've realised that it's alot more comfortable sitting within the speed limit.
Interestingly, 35mpg is about the same as my last car which was a 1.4litre Fiat Bravo Sport. If you think Chevrolet's claims on economy are a bit wide of the mark, I can tell you that Fiat's seem to be even worse. They claimed up to 50mpg- the most I ever got, driving like a granny, was 40mpg. Round town was very low 30s.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I own a 2010, Captiva LT 5 seat, 2.0ltr Diesel - I drive 'normally' and use a 50/50 mix of local A roads and Motorways. My average mpg is 37.5.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Gal10 said:
I own a 2010, Captiva LT 5 seat, 2.0ltr Diesel - I drive 'normally' and use a 50/50 mix of local A roads and Motorways. My average mpg is 37.5.

hi Gal10

Can I ask what is the best mileage you have had out of a full tank of diesel ?

·
Registered
997 Posts
My best is about 34-35 mpg from a full tank, usual is 30-33, depending on how hurried my week has been!

·
Registered
10 Posts
KLR - how did the garmin thing work out after? picking up a captiva soon [i'm from pontypool so not far from you] and have a garmin 1390 if you think its a worthwhile purchase

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yep, we have a garmin nuvi 1690 and that pluggy thing sounds interesting!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've just used my first tankfull after buying my car recently.

Not really shocked as I knew what I was getting in to when I bought it, and it's a 4x4 7 seater after all...

300 miles for 55 litres of fuel - I work this out at 24.8 mpg. 90% town driving, 10% A road and driven normally, i.e. keeping up with traffic.

I'll be doing some longer motorway & A road stuff next week so it'll be interseting to see how it compares.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts