Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Captiva 2.2 VCDi LT manual
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Captiva 2.2 lt vcdi. The car is having great difficulty starting in the cold weather, turning over and eventually catching. When started it runs good. No warning lights and the coil light comes on then goes off as it should. There are no error codes stored. Could this be heater plugs need changing. Car has done 65,000

·
Registered
754 Posts
There's been a lot of recalls for the Captiva starter circuitry and it's sometimes hard to tell whether your car has really been done or not. It's worth doing a voltage drop test on the starter circuit, that will give you some actual data to work on.

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
I have a 2013 Captiva 2.2 lt vcdi. The car is having great difficulty starting in the cold weather, turning over and eventually catching. When started it runs good. No warning lights and the coil light comes on then goes off as it should. There are no error codes stored. Could this be heater plugs need changing. Car has done 65,000
If it is a lead / acid battery it is usual for cold weather to affect performance. How old is the battery? Have you been doing only short journeys. Maybe the plates in the battery are sulphated. Simple things such as cleaning battery terminals and the inside of cable clamps can greatly improve current flow.
Before going anywhere near the coils I'd review the battery condition.

You dont tell us whether your vehicle is Auto or Manual gearbox. (Helpful to place vehicle speci / data in your Footer - see link below). If manual gear box I would suggest depressing the clutch while cranking to start.

·
Registered
2013 Captiva 2.2 VCDi LT manual
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi. The battery is only 2 years old. It starts fine in normal weather but once it drops to 0 or below it takes a few times before it kecks into life. I usually drive 10 miles each way 5 days a week. It's a manual box

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
Taff, Two years old doesnt mean it isnt a battery problem. You are clearly not doing any meaningful distance to provide a good recharge.
My other comments in post#3 still apply as also Victors suggestions in post #2 .

Reminder that your vehicle speci/data is best placed in your Signature Footer where it will always appear automatically. Adhoc Info within the body of a discussion simply becomes lost as discussions progress. When in your Footer it will always appear in any post or topic. Refer the Guidance tips link in post #3

1 - 5 of 5 Posts