Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased an automatic diesel Captiva and am disappointed with the fuel consumption. According to the brochure the urban cycle is 26.4miles per gallon, extra urban cycle is 38.7miles per gallon and the combined 32.8 miles per gallon. I am only able to achieve between 20 and 22 miles per gallon, upon contacting Chevolet they commentedthat you would be lucky to get 24 miles per gallon on a long run at around 55/60 miles per hour.

Does this seem to be the norm for this car, your comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2007 LTX Auto and achieve 35mpg as an average (mostly motorway at 65 mph) which is about 470 / 480 miles on a tank. 500+ miles is achievable and my record is 511 miles (taking the travelled miles and the 50 miles left on the trip computer as a combined figure)

500+ miles is achievable in manual mode only as the auto is poor at selecting for economy driving. The transmission controller will allow 5th at 40mph but the auto mode does not select 5th until 55mph. 4th is allowed by the compter in manual mode at 30 mph rather than at 40mph if the transmission is in charge.

The difference of 30 - 40 miles per tank is not worth the effort of manual mode and I personally think that 480 miles per tank is good for such a big automatic car.

ps ignore idiotic onboard computer that could not run a bath let alone calculate MPG! However setting it to Litres per 100 Miles means that 30mpg is about 15 litres per 100 Miles, so 13 litres per 100 miles is a good cruising target. From memory it is about 12 litres / 100 miles to achieve maximum economy.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I agree that the fuel computer is useless. Mine sits constantly at 15.9l/100 miles, which is about 26mpg, but it actually does about 31-33mpg in general running. It is a manual however, and if you are getting 35mpg from an auto you much have the touch of an angel, because I drive like a nun on mogadon to get even that!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I do not hang around or thrash my Captiva soIhave resigned myself to getting at bestabout 25 to the gallon, the auto is nice to drive but you do pay for it even the road tax is more expensivebecause of the higheremissions. The captiva because of its size has to shift quite a lot of air and weighs about 2.5 tons.It propels itself along quite well for a 2litre engine, it just has to push the fuel through a bit. I am skeptical about chipping the ecu, don't believe some of the claimsthat youget outstanding power yetthe MPG also goes up. Do not believe in free meals.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was in the same frame of mind about remapping or fitting one of those units off eBay. How cam something improve power and at the same time improve fuel consumption, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a unit off eBay for my Mitsubishi L200, and can safely say it was the best investment I have purchased for my vehicle . My MPG increased from 27 to around 33 and the difference in acceleration from 0-60 was incredible. I don't see why it will be any different on a Captiva and as soon as my LTZ arrives 1st March it will be the first thing I fit. Hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Be carefull with ad on boxes from ebay on the captiva as they can cause severe particulate filter regeneration. I've reprogrammed the ecu and it is much better. the reason you can have your cake and eat it is the greater power pulls the heavy car easier and if you have a light foot the gains are very good like for like driving is about 10% real world. See my post on another new one under newbies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Definitely be very care with cheap eBay kits. For the best improvement either install a new program on the ecu or get it to a rolling road to setup a map for your engine. The gains far out way the cost of the programming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my 09 LTX 7s auto gets 26mpg with about half motorway miles to town driving. its pretty rubbish, but on the flip side, its was the most spacious 4x4 I could find and it was also the cheapest. i will say though that the mpg computer is useless and constantly reeds about 11.0mpg while around town and the when you get on the motorway it actually goes down to around 8.9mpg! very anoying. especially as chevrolet have downloaded the latest programe but this has made no difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Depending on your driving style and the town to motorway mix it sounds about normal but if we wanted economy I guess we wouldn't have bought autos! as for your display it looks like its reading ltrs/100km and not Mpg as 11 is roughly equal to 25mpg and 8.9 roughly equal to 32Mpg again about normal. You used to be able to change the display (instructions in handbook) but I dont know if this is still possible with the new software.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts