Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening guys, just been driving home and my instrument cluster stopped working for around 5 miles then all of a sudden they all came back on, during this the car drove fine

Then as it was getting darker I went to put my headlights on but they have both blown!

are these leaked in any way, not had chance to have a look at fuses or bulbs yet as its too dark to it tonight, anyone had of these problems before?

very unusual for both headlights to go at the same time id say

any help apricated thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Please complete vehicle details ie which year / series / Captiva; this helps for a start.

Where in the World are you - your Location wasnt completed in sign-up and this is a Worldwide forum. Your English indicates you may be in Europe?

Rather too soon to assess cause / solution until you've checked fuses relays. It is not unusual for one bulb failing to stress the second.

You can look up and review previous posts using the Forum Search function.

Have a read of the Forum Tips and Suggestions which may help you to understand so we can assist you.

Link:-
https://www.chevroletownersclub.co....tre/6693-helpful-suggestions-using-forum.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
Evening guys, just been driving home and my instrument cluster stopped working for around 5 miles then all of a sudden they all came back on, during this the car drove fine

Then as it was getting darker I went to put my headlights on but they have both blown!

are these leaked in any way, not had chance to have a look at fuses or bulbs yet as its too dark to it tonight, anyone had of these problems before?

very unusual for both headlights to go at the same time id say

any help apricated thanks
I just bought a used captiva in Germany, 2l diesel, manual gearbox, 264k on clock.
Whilst driving yesterday the instrument cluster seemed to reset and then return to normal except the speed indicator did not work.
Later when I tried to drive at night I saw that both headlight bulbs had blown.
Did you find the cause of your incident?
The cluster does other strange things like the tank level warning would come on sporadically even with good amount of fuel in tank.
Also, the rev counter stopped working for a few minutes then went back to normal.

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Bunlid, Azzyoung never came back to the forum which sadly often occurs. It is so frustrating when solutions are not posted. The knowledge base is lost.
Initially my answer to you is as per post #2 and you need to respond to the missing information as asked of Azzyoung .
The potential cause(s) can be a poor earth to chassis connection (looking at your symptoms this is my number one area of investigation - even as simple as a lose battery terminal connection), a defective alternator regulator, a defective or corroded contact on a fuse or relay.
The forum has a useful Search function of previous discussions and you'll find this possibly a useful resource to read.
Various previous discussions on this 'cluster topic' here:- Search results for query: instrument cluster

How to access this and Helpful Guidance on using the Forum (ie Sign-Up Location and Signature Footer vehicle information) is explained in the following link :-
Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

Seasons Greetings.

Edited to add additional link.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts