Chevrolet Owners Club banner

Captiva never revs up over 1500-1800 RPM

12K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Aussie Ed 
Mariano, I admire your tenacity when many others would have given up ! Well done.

It was interesting that your diagnostic reader identified the vehicle as a Lacetti. It it worth noting that some diagnostic readers (I have a GMTec2) need to be switched to the 'Trucks' setting. In the USA the Captiva is defined as a 'truck' and not a car. As soon as I switched mine to the 'Truck' setting it recognised my model as a Captiva. This might be a useful tip for other members when using their scanner.

Hi Lurchy, Somewhere along the way both of us are missing something but I have no idea exactly what!
My first reaction to finding the Captiva being listed under 'trucks' on diagnostic equipment, was to question why American technical boffins interpret virtually anything with four or more wheels as a 'truck' !?
Then I did a rethink and realised that virtually all these diagnostic tools are made in China or other nearby Far Eastern countries. So I had to start asking do these Countries define SUV's as trucks? The answer seems to be no.

I've looked up the dictionary definition of 'truck' which states "a large, heavy road vehicle used for carrying goods, materials, or troops; a lorry.". Then I looked up the definition of a lorry....... guess what ... it is defined as a 'truck' ! Then I looked up the definition of an SUV and that is stated to be 'a car'.
I'm therefore no further forward in establishing whether the diagnostic equipment is designed in the USA (with the 'truck' definition originating from the USA), or whether the diagnostic tool maker in China is responsible for the 'truck' classification.

At the end of the day, anyone with reasonably advanced diagnostic equipment should thoroughly double check the base settings options so as to be able to fully recognise their vehicle.

Hi Lurchy, Failed DPF regeneration discussions are a 'book of their own' on this Forum under no end of different titles. You might find it useful to read some of those (find by using the Advanced Search facility) and add your discussions to one of the existing topics because DPF doesnt belong under this current Topic title. The knack of DPF regns is NEVER stop them while still running. Happy reading.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.