Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd post up a message about how its been going with my Captiva, especially after two weeks down to south of France and back.

Just over 3k on the clock now from new and thankfully no issues. The night before our journey to France I did wonder if things would be okay but I suppose any car owner about to head on a long trip wouldfeel that way. The good news I discovered before I set off was that my chevy AA cover covers my car for all over Europe so thank you Chevrolet for that unexpected bonus. I thought it just covered me in the UK. Secondly, the built-in satnav has Europe maps and it navigated us to places big and small around rural France without any probs.

Having covered over 1500 miles on holiday gave me a great opportunity to get to know the car and what was good and not so good. First off, the practicality of the Captivawas superb. Two kids in the back and all the cargo in the boot for the holiday, the Captiva swallowed it all up with plenty of room to spare. Kids had plently of space and legroom so no complaints from them. Comfort-wise, myself and wife found the seats perfect and I stepped out of the car after hours of driving without feeling stiff or sore. The driving position is good and the electrically-adjusted driver seat is perfect for getting you just right!

On the motorway, the Captiva is suprisingly quiet, little wind noise and the diesel engine quiet too on cruise. The cruise control was great to use, didn't think I'd use it as much as I did.

Fuel economy was almost permanently stuck on 32.8 mpg so I'm not sure what thats all about. Suffice to say the monitoring does not work properly which echoes what others have said on here. I estimate we got closer to 35mpg and that was with aircon on almost constantly which I have to say worked very well.

The only downsides of this car for me are the noisey unrefined diesel engine under acceleration and the notchy manual gearbox. Its also a bit rolly-polly on corners which isn't a major issue but less roll would be appreciated. I think all of these issues are addresed in the new Captiva so congrats if you bought a new one. I have heard that the wafty ride has been addressed by adding anti-roll bars to the new Captiva. Wonder if they can be retro-fitted to older Captivas? Cant imagine it to be expensive or difficult.

So overall, we are very very happy with this car. It was perfect for our trip and turning out to be a great family car. Theres nothing it can't do in my opinion. And I have to say its a very good looking car as well. It got plenty of looks from the locals but I think that was more to do with it being a very unfamiliar car on French roads.

If you are considering ownership of one of these, don't hesitate to drive one. I've come from Audi ownership and frankly the Captiva is doing a much better job and cheaper and yes more reliable!

- 2011 Captiva LTZ Manual Silver
Edited by: nik1

·
Registered
104 Posts
We are currently in the Dordogne area, we drove up from Javea in Spain a week ago and have two more weeks here. Totally agree about the noisy engine and the horrible gear change but also about the quiet cruising and reasonable fuel economy - not got round to working out exactly what we get but our aircon is on more or less permanently and has been since we got the car back in May as it's been warm or boiling ever since! Was 38 here in France two days ago, too hot!

Loads of Space and still two more seats if and when we need 'em. Unlike you Nik, we came from a mid 90's Disco so this is like a Roller to us!

Only odd thing was that the day after our two day drive to get here, I turned the engine on for five or 10 minutes to run a pump for a pool inflatable and the next day when we got in to drive, the amber engine warning light was on. Didn't go far that day and it stayed on then at one point the dpf light came on but only for a few minutes then it was gone. Engine light was still on the next day when we did a longer run of an hour or so but not at motorway speeds, then on the way back it went out.

Wouldn't have thought there was a dpf problem after two days of motorway travelling so don't really know what that was about! Pity we can't just chuck the egr and dpf away really!

All round, still happy with the car though. Did another four hours driving today to Bordeaux airport and back to pick up sis-in-law and no problems at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
nik1 said:
Just thought I'd post up a message about how its been going with my Captiva,The only downsides of this car for me are the noisey unrefined diesel engine under acceleration and the notchy manual gearbox

The gear change will improve with mileage - ours was a pig from new, but by 30,000 miles it was very slick

Never found the engine particularly unrefined, even when towing.

Fuel consumption is a very different kettle of fish. We found that our consumption worsened with the miles. At the end (35,000) our Captiva was returning only just over 30mpg - with a new air filter and regular servicing.

It was just *too* much - and was a big factor in our decision to sell it.

When we got our VW Touran, I hated it - nasty little thing, with no street cred or style.

Now, I simply love it! - it's giving a genuine 55 mpg, driven quite enthusiastically - and certainly handles better on bends.

I know I will miss the Captiva when (if) the snow comes - but, honestly, the VW is saving over £125 per month in diesel, and that alone makes it spectacularly loveable ;)

There is *nothing* like a computer reading (genuinely) '55 + mpg' to make you fall in love with a car ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts