Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a 2008 Captiva LT with damaged to the rear black bumper a silver trim (the colour coded bumper is not damaged).

I have approached a local body shop about getting it repaired and was told that I would have to replace the whole rear bumper as it comes as a complete unit (very expensive).

Having spoken to a Chevrolet dealer I am now under the impression that the black bumper and silver trim simply click into each other and onto the colour coded bumper so I should be able to replace the damaged items and not the whole rear bumper.

Can any forum members please advise me as to whether the rear bumper is a single item or can in fact be split down into 3 seperate parts.

Many thanks

Bodrigan81

·
Registered
997 Posts
Hi Bodrigan,
The bumper and the silver part- the skid plate as it is known are seperate- the lower spec early models don't have these and they are available as a dealer fit part as an accessory, though they are pricey. They do appear from time to time on ebay at a morte reasonable rate. They parts fit together using plug type plastic fittings.

Hope that helps

Iain

·
Registered
43 Posts
"Having spoken to a Chevrolet dealer I am now under the impression that the black bumper and silver trim simply click into each other and onto the colour coded bumper so I should be able to replace the damaged items and not the whole rear bumper."

Didn't you ask this question to the dealer's parts department?

·
Registered
104 Posts
My rear bumper is due to be repaired soon and I was told that the whole thing including the black plastic underneath part is one item. The silver skid plate however, is available seperately.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moboy said:
"Having spoken to a Chevrolet dealer I am now under the impression that the black bumper and silver trim simply click into each other and onto the colour coded bumper so I should be able to replace the damaged items and not the whole rear bumper."

Didn't you ask this question to the dealer's parts department?

OK, "having spoken" should have read "emailed" however I have today visted a Chevrolet dealer and spoken face to face with their parts department. I have been assured that the rear bumper is made up of individual parts that can be purchased individually.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Much as I think that the dealer workshop service is rubbish, I have found the parts departments excellent. I might add that barry franklin at cresser in redditch is good and i will be ordering my next set of service parts from him and get them posted to me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's not often I'm right but I was wrong again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Speedy said:
It's not often I'm right but I was wrong again.
Speedy

Don't be too quick to doubt yourself as today I received a diagram of the sections which make up the rear bumper from St Davids of Exeter and it shows the colour coded section and lower black bumper as being a single piece
. I think it is going to an expensive month.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yep,
Sorry, been out of the loop- the bumper is one piece, only the skid plate is seperate, asI found last winter when I hit a large boulder buried in the snow and needed a new front bumper- when you said silver trim in the original post, I thought skid plate, but I'm now guessing that your car is silver?

Iain

1 - 9 of 9 Posts