1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just got my satnav updated by my dealer. A waste of time the map still does not show the M80 motorway coming out of Glasgow towards Stirling. This was a road that was finished 2 years ago! The car was also in to get the second year service put right, the CD player checked and the headlamp washer pump replaced. I was told that the headlamp washer pump also comes with pumps for the windscreen washers and rear screen washer. This is fine under warranty but would be very expensive if you car is older. PS The CD player was not fixed, I was told that my unmarked CD was scratched and all of their CDs played. I put my CD it would not play in the compound but once the car warmed up internally my so called scratched CD worked fine!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I have found out from a Russian and Italian forum, the unit runs on Windows CE 5.0, so should be able to run TomTom 6.0, on it, as I used this on an XDA 2 smart phone some years ago, which ran on the same system, if this works, I should have no problem updating the ma to he latest version.

Will post here results when I find my old TomTom install disk.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I upgraded mine with a kit from eBay and love it so far. Yes it can be a little laggy at times but it has plenty of options and does all I need.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I dont know how true this is, but I have been told by a mechanic who I trust.

He said that there are more and more of these aftermarket GPS type systems now being installed, that are capable of playing DVDs etc, that it will now be added to the MOT test. The key thing is the DVD screen must not be visable to the driver when the car is in motion. Therefore if they can play a DVD which is visible to the driver when the car is in motion (will test on rolling road) then it will be a MOT failure.

Again, I dont know, if true, how many garages will test this, but it does make total sense.

I know that alot of these units are made in China and they dont have any mechanism to stop the DVD playing when the car is in motion, so installing one of these could be lining yourself up for a MOT failure and an espensive waste of money...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't go makingassumptionstoo soon.

Yes it will pass the MOT test as it will only play while the park brake is engaged. Though it is the liability of the installer to ensure it is installed correctly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
DYO5COM said:
Any one had any experience with this alternative system, it looks like everything the Chevrolet system should of been, and more, for a fraction of the cost.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221165814456?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Seriously considering taking the plunge, as the standard system has so many flaws etc, it even has a decent Bluetooth interface.

Thats the same unit I have just installed. To get the basics working it is just a plug and play situation. It came with a harnes and everything needed to install the display and player. Looks very factory which I do like. However it does get a bit more challenging when you add a reversing camera and have to run the cam cable from the tailgate.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Roxbyplus said:
Don't go makingassumptionstoo soon.

Yes it will pass the MOT test as it will only play while the park brake is engaged. Though it is the liability of the installer to ensure it is installed correctly.

Not what I said.. Yes if fitted correctly and legaly so that it only plays when the handbrake is engaged then it will pass an MOT. But if it has not been fitted so that the handbrake has to be engaged then it will fail. Also, there are some "cheaper"Chinese imported models that dont give the option to link up to the handbrake.

I wasnt suggesting that anyone here would install it incorrectly, just putting out some info, that some may not have considered when buying one of these devices. Its like loads of things that are not illegal to own, but if operating in certain circumstances become illegal. The reason of bringing it into the MOT is to be able to "police" the problem, which apparantly has grown, not out of these units specifically, but out of young lads/lasses "pimping their rides" (I believe the term is) by installing loads of hig tech devices and the DVD player is a popular one to add. Finding them being used when driving is a hot and miss thing, relying on the police catching them at it. By adding a simple test to the MOT it stops the problem as source, or is supposed to.

Edited by: K.L.Richards

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a Chevrolet sat nav installed so I don't need to worry but surely people would just remove the DVD player before MOT time?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mmm but is easy to overcome with a simple switch arrangement...Or if its a Face off unit, leave the face at Home!!!Bit like a spare wheel only has to be Fit for the MoT if its there.. not in place is not a failure !!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I will make a note to have my Captiva MOT'd on a warm day then.

If it is near freezing then the stock sat nav will play dvd/video files even if driving.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I suppose that's if you can remove the DVD player or screen. The ones I have seen are not removable, unless you want to go to the trouble of removing the whole head unit.

Interesting (jester) about your stock sat nav, as not good that Chevy install a unit against the regs.. or do we chalk up another fault on the factory fitted unit...

·
Registered
70 Posts
It comes up with "no watching videos when driving" message and stops playback most of the time. The unit justdoesn'tlike the cold. Of course that is opposite of the dash clock which only works in the cold.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone ever bought the map update for the LTZ Sat Nav ?

I've been having a debate with Chevrolet UK, as to getting a map update, however they keep refereeing me to the web site that does the updates for the factory fitted unit, and the website http://update-request.com/index.php

However I'm more than a little peeved with them as this map update is dated July 2012, my car is a March 2012, and when I bought it dealer said there would be 6 monthly updates available, its almost 2 years!

Just think is a bit rich to charge 99 euros for an update so out of date, and very little information as to whats in the update!

Anyone else managed to get a more recent update, or have aSD card of the July 2012 for sale?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

I'm thinking about one of these and have messaged a couple of the sellers on eBay with questions but I wonder if I could gain some feedback on here?
It states that all wheel functions work correctly still but why can't the original reverse camera not be connected?
Where does the Bluetooth mic hide?

Cheers

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Craig, please post back with anything that you find out - It seems to be a common problem with Captivas so I am sure other people will be interested...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't have any problems with my factory mm, quite the opposite really it's very fast, boot up in a couple of seconds and works great.
My issue if not having Bluetooth for my phone that's why I'm thinking about ditching the factory mm

1 - 20 of 30 Posts