Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Captiva 2007

About 4 months ago, without warning, I got started to drive my Captiva when I noticed the hill descent, ABS light and ABS light with a line through it come on. I also noticed that there was a lack of power and the accelerator wouldn't respond and would only accelerate intermittently. I rodeo'd my way to the local Chevrolet garage and booked it in. I got a call at the end of the day stating that I needed a new gear box and transmission and the cost would be £7000.00 plus. The car only had 40000 miles on it and had been serviced etc from band new. Because I have had had a few rip off issues with this Chevrolet garage, I decided to take to a local garage. I rodeo'd it to the garage and when I called them later, they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, so went straight to the garage and the car was fine. I've had problem free driving for 4 months and drove it short and long distances. Recently, the three warning lights came on and the loss of power issue started again. If I leave the car switched off for an hour or so, the lights go away and all is fine until the next time which could be a few weeks later...

It sounds like a sensor/electric problem to me...Any ideas??? Each time I take it to my local garage, the lights have gone off and all is fine and they don't know what the issue might be. Still wary driving it due to the loss of power when this occurs.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Same thing happened to me in July (had a 2008 LTX manual). Dearler and Chevrolet tech support (if you can believe everything the dealer says) couldn't find anything wrong. Cleaned up some electrical contacts and all was well ... well for 3 months, then the same thing happened.

You will see on this site, it is a common fault at around 5 years or 60K miles.

You will also see anything from, Wheel Hubs, to ABS, to ECU, to Wiring Loom, to Gearbox (auto), to Brake Control Module, etc, etc... being reported as the fault. Each in term costing over £1000 (inc labour) to fix. But each with NO GUARANTEE that it will fix the problem.

Hence, I got shot of my Captiva....

The one thing I would say, is don't believe the garage unless they give you a money back guarantee ...
Edited by: K.L.Richards

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are haveing power problems reading saying miss fire so we changed all spark plugs but no change small engine light comes on on dash has anybody got any Ideas apart from taking to the dump it is a 2011 model v6 petrol

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
What about injectors. Changed or cleaned them? Have you checked for lose wiring? What are your diagnostic codes?

Your Sign-Up has been left blank on 'World location' the Forum system believes you to be in Australia ?

Repost with Diagnostic Codes, they may provide some clues .

Guidance on using the Forum on this link will be helpful :- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

·
Registered
52 Posts
could be ignition coils that can fail over time, ignition cables. if you have the check engine light on, you have an error code. connect an OBDII reader and scan for fault codes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts