2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boatman01
Registered

2013,Captiva LT 2.2 VDCi AWD MT 6 spd
Joined 6 d ago
2 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 9 h ago
Hi everyone, I’ve had the above vehicle from new,1st register 01/2014, after only 26,500 miles the transfer box has blown, a 5cm hole in the casing.Theproblem occurred while driving at about 20mph, the warning was a grinding noise, a strong smell of burning gear oil followed by a loud clunk from the nearside rear underside.
It would appear that this is a known problem with this model due to a design weakness in the transfer box. The advice from other owners is to replace the box only with a new one and then there is no guarantee the problem will not recur! The best price I’ve found for a new box (part only) is £1370. I don’t really need the AWD and wonder if converting to 2 wheel drive would be a cheaper and safer alternative, I’m not a mechanic but is this idea a practical one.
Apologies to Aussie Ed for posting this in the wrong place initially and thanks to Victor for his reference to clearing any AWD to 2WD with my insurance.

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
Boatman, Your relocated post is fine here now. Appreciate your action. To avoid splitting discussions I have now removed the earlier entries.
This topic is now open to response from other members.

My observations are that this transfer box failure issue is rather worryingly gaining momentum and there must be others this is happening to who do not read this Forum, so the true numbers are hard to identify.
Failure of this sort after less than 30,000 miles is certainly not acceptable but little can be done other than pay for the cost of a replacement unless the vehicle has voluntary extended warranty.
All Series 2 Captiva owners would be wise to have their transfer box serviced and refilled without delay.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Boatman01
Registered

Joined 6 d ago
2 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 9 h ago
Hi everyone, I’ve had the above vehicle from new,1st register 01/2014, after only 26,500 miles the transfer box has blown, a 5cm hole in the casing.Theproblem occurred while driving at about 20mph, the warning was a grinding noise, a strong smell of burning gear oil followed by a loud clunk from the nearside rear underside.
It would appear that this is a known problem with this model due to a design weakness in the transfer box. The advice from other owners is to replace the box only with a new one and then there is no guarantee the problem will not recur! The best price I’ve found for a new box (part only) is £1370. I don’t really need the AWD and wonder if converting to 2 wheel drive would be a cheaper and safer alternative, I’m not a mechanic but is this idea a practical one.
Apologies to Aussie Ed for posting this in the wrong place initially and thanks to Victor for his reference to clearing any AWD to 2WD with my insurance.

It is possible, but not if yours has a hole on it. Have a look at this video:

Reactions: Boatman01

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply and video link, looks like I need to go for the new box,I’ll see what my garage say on Monday!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks for the reply and video link, looks like I need to go for the new box,I’ll see what my garage say on Monday!
Mine was still working, had an annoying noise and a vibration on higher gears. I replaced myself. The garage should be able to do in a couple of hours.

Reactions: ches

·
Registered
276 Posts
Did you get your car sorted?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts