Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Holden Captiva 7 LX - Turbo Diesel - 2009
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I'm Annie, I'm from Australia and I'm new here. I JUST bought a 2009 Holden Captiva LX - Diesel.
I'm really happy with the car but being 2009 the stereo and nav are very dated. I want to upgrade the head unit to include bluetooth, hands free phone, voice control Google maps, music etc. Hopefully Apple Play or even just Car Play.
The problem is I can't find what I want. My car has a factory installed touch screen. I just want to replace it with something modern. BUT the only similarly sized units I can find are designed to replace the existing radio unit. I really don't want that. It's unsafe to have to drop my eyes so far to glance at it. Plus it would leave me with a dead top screen which seems ridiculous. My only other option is one of the huge 'tesla' style screens on Ali-Express. I will go that way if forced to, though they're pretty expensive at around $800.
Does ANYONE have any experience with this? Has anyone managed to find and fit a unit into the TOP space of a console like mine?

·
Registered
2013 diesel auto 7 lx cg awd Holden (Aust rhs drive)
11 Posts
It did require some specific changes to the wiring harness but now is opperating correct. I was able to use the eom factory rear camera also. The canbus also shows rpm, oil, fuel, trip etc.
Please let me know if you would lile more info or install help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Two of the harness plugs (from the old radio were fine, the one from the back of the sat head requires the bypass pins for the oem rear camera and the signal for engine stats and ac control. Also the settings need to be activated in the software to "captiva H, with ac. "
Im re aally happy with it and more importantly the wifey is happy :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Woah!! Thanks SO much for that Jim. Awesome photos and yes.... it really DOES look fantastic. It's great to know if I DO go that way I will have some help!
Which model did you buy? There are so many....it's pretty confusing!!
*I see you had a differnt console style to mine. Yours had the clock in the 'circle' right??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes the clock was in an oval silver trim. The holden sat nav was a dud, issues with the time, satellites and realy slow.
I paid $500aud and also got the front camera with that. It is android 9 px 6 version.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I paid $500aud and also got the front camera with that. It is android 9 px 6 version.
Wow! Cheapest I've found is a bit over $700. Don't suppose you have a link? Or even a store name I could look up??

·
Registered
2011 Chevrolet Captiva 2.2 D 4WD LTZ
6 Posts
Two of the harness plugs (from the old radio were fine, the one from the back of the sat head requires the bypass pins for the oem rear camera and the signal for engine stats and ac control. Also the settings need to be activated in the software to "captiva H, with ac. "
Im re aally happy with it and more importantly the wifey is happy :)
Hi I've just installed one off these units but cannot get the ac control to work. You mention bypass pins can you please explain.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,286 Posts
Dicky, Welcome to the Forum.
To avoid any possible confusion please confirm which year Captiva series/variant your vehicle is. There may be wiring loom differences especially as Aussie Jims vehicle is a Holden specification.

Your Sign-Up was incomplete (no world location stated although the Forum system believes you may be in Germany). It also helps immensely to provide vehicle details which assists readers and avoids you having to repeat information.

Helpful tips/guidance is on the following link (click it to open):-

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Dicky,
I will get some better photos shortly, however, was able to identify the signal cable for my vehicle and the corresponding on the cable for the head unit.
Do you have one spare connector with a purple cable on it from your new display?
Any photos would be good to se if its the same?
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
This was the wiring diagram that matched my vehicle, note the cable in pin location 10.
The other cables were for the camera and reverse signal,
My single purple cable needed to be connected to the to the pin 10 vvs cable (green/wh) i had pins and crimps to do it properly, i also had to get my rear cam video, power and reverse onto this connector as they were floating on the back of my chineese head unit.
Please be carefull as your vehicle and head unit cables may be completely different. I am a licenced electrician so probably had a little more confidence in myself not to stuff up and do any damage i couldnt fix. I did do some testing with the multimeter to confirm all this first.
An auto sparky should be able to identify and help you. It was actually quite fun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow finally an answer to the AC control problem!! I have noticed on mine a while back that this purple wire isn't connected to anywhere!!! :D Can't wait to fiddle around with this later this week. @AussieJimcan you also share a photo of the wirings on how you made the oem rear camera work please.. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
This was the wiring diagram that matched my vehicle, note the cable in pin location 10.
The other cables were for the camera and reverse signal,
My single purple cable needed to be connected to the to the pin 10 vvs cable (green/wh) i had pins and crimps to do it properly, i also had to get my rear cam video, power and reverse onto this connector as they were floating on the back of my chineese head unit.
Please be carefull as your vehicle and head unit cables may be completely different. I am a licenced electrician so probably had a little more confidence in myself not to stuff up and do any damage i couldnt fix. I did do some testing with the multimeter to confirm all this first.
An auto sparky should be able to identify and help you. It was actually quite fun.
View attachment 2021
Hi thanks for the info I will check the wiring at the weekend as the car is still in Berlin and I'm in the Netherlands. I can remember that I do have a single purple wire but I can't remember which pin it's connected to.

Dickie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi thanks for the info I will check the wiring at the weekend as the car is still in Berlin and I'm in the Netherlands. I can remember that I do have a single purple wire but I can't remember which pin it's connected to.

Dickie
I had a look at my wiring and tried bridging the purple wire to the green and white wire at position 10 and still no heating controls. I've attached pictures of the connector maybe the wiring is different to yours.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi dickie, slightly different to mine in colours.
Try your pin 5 (solid green) to the purple.
Do make sure you go into the settings of the radio, choose install setup, my pin was 8861.
Choose vehicle > general motors> captiva Hi> protocol BNR with AC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Dickie, My mrs is driving the captiva and is back home thursday from her work trip. I have a few extra bits that have arrived so will need to pull out the radio unit then. Will take a pic for you this time.
Aussie jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Dickie, My mrs is driving the captiva and is back home thursday from her work trip. I have a few extra bits that have arrived so will need to pull out the radio unit then. Will take a pic for you this time.
Aussie jim
Thanks, your a star
Dickie

·
Super Moderator
7,286 Posts
Success, the purple wire to the solid green on pin 5 works perfectly I now have the A/C control on the big screen.
So Aussie Jims post #16 was correct. Got there in the end (y)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts