Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
So I'm a bit paranoid about my clutch as I've read a few horror stories about clutches burning out and taking the flywheel with them leaving massive bills. I've got a 2l diesel manual. Last couple of times Ive been in the captiva, I got out and noticed a slight burning smell. Naturally I assumed the worst and thought it was the clutch. However, maybe its some plastics or paint somewhere getting hot for the first time. I cant really tell if its a burning clutch or some plastics/paint/other within engine bay and cant identify where its coming from. Not getting it in the cabin.

The car is brand new so everything, just 300miles on it.Should I be concerned? Does the 5 year warranty offered by Chev cover a clutch? I doubt it but would be interested to know what you think.

·
Registered
652 Posts
The clutch is funny item, re warranty. As it is is subject to wear n' tear, the dealer will say no. However, what you have to fight with is that it unreasonable for a clutch to wear out in say 300 miles you have done or even 20k miles for modern cars. They will say you have been riding the clutch, or something similar. Providing you havent, which unless you are a new driver or learner (or of course been teaching Learner drivers in your Captiva
), I'm sure that isnt the case. What you have to do, is stick to your guns and realise it is up to them to prove mis-use and not for you to have to prove mechanical fault. Sticking to this, then I'm sure you would win (even with a little fight) an argument on this. You may have to threaten legal action, but I would hope it wouldn't get that far.

But, back to the problem. If it is a manual, you would know if the clutch is slipping when you accelorate hard. You would see the revs pick up faster than the speed of the vehicle. Another good test, would be a steep hillstart. Is the car holding on the clutch. Obviously dont do this alot just as a test, as it does put stress on the clutch.

I bet, you havent a clutch problem, but eitehr way, being new I would get it into the dealer and make them find and rectify.

Hope this helps.... cheers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks K.L. A reassuring post. I've reasoned with myself that if it was a problem so soon, its going to be a lot worse if I get to say1k or 2k miles at which point I'd bring it back to Chev dealer and can't see how they could argue I've burned it out with so little mileage.
I'll carry out your suggested tests over the weekend. I would say from the driving I've already done that those symptoms are not present but I will be more thorough now.

Otherwise,we are very pleased with the car. Its the LTZ and the spec list is superb. Only minor is the lack of bluetooth but an aftermarket gubbin has been ordered.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Glad you pleased witht he Captiva, most people are, I know I am. I changed my Jag S-Type last year, and decided to car for a Captiva. I got a LTX Diesel (2008 - 57 PLate). Couldnt find an LTZ then, as the LTX was top model (for 57 - 2008). Now they seem to be the most popular. My Jag was a 2.5 V6 with every toy under the sun, Sat Nav, BlueTooth, Voice Control... Yep, I could speak to car, giving commands like "Air Con set temp 17degrees" and it would respond in words (like Kitt - for those as old as me) and do it.... I didnt want to change to be honest, Jag was only 4 years old with 30k miles, but it would drink the fuel. With my assignment coming to an end, and my new client meaning I would be doing heavy mileage, I couldnt justify keeping it. Looked at the usual motoway cruisers, Passat, Mondeo, etc, but although nice cars, couldnt swap my Jag for them. So changed direction getting a 4WD (SUV). Looked at many, and Captiva impressed me more than others. Lots of comfort, good equiplment level, and REAL 7 seats. Also the fuel consumption was good according to Web reports, AutoTrader, Chevy, Honest John, etc... but that is another story in reality...

But I must say, it is a really good car.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My Captiva used to smell of burning when it was new. I just took it to be paint burning on the exhaust. It has now stopped. Has anyone else had problems with their CD player being fussy when they play a CD, mine won't when the car is first started, checked the manual,I think that it is condensation!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I too had a slight burning smell from my new Captiva. It's now done about 4000 miles andthe smell has pretty much gone away. I did notice it briefly the other day but not as strong as before. I'm going to mention it to the dealer at the first service (September) in case the clutch does go early as I certainly don't "ride" the clutch. Hopefully it won't go before then !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok spoke to my dealer about this and he is quite aware of this. Told me its simply excess wax sealant on the underside of the car, will slowly burn off and that its nothing to worry about. We shall see!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts