Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Orlando 2.0 Diesel
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone this is my first post, I have a Chevy Orlando 2.0 Diesel and I fitted a new rear O/S calliper as the old one seized. After doing this (Car was standing for about a week) I tried to turn the car on to settle the brakes and drive around the block and it wouldn't start. All the lights came on and the radio etc.... but when I pressed the clutch and fully turned the key the lights on the dash went out and it wouldn't start. Tried this a few times so thought the battery might need a boost... charged it over night....nothing.

Then when I was changing the battery in the keys (one was in ignition) the fuse box thats behind the glove box started cracking a bit. Then the hazard lights came on, then the wipers and the water out the wipers started... so I took the key out and googled what it might be....another forum came up in the suggestions. (Mx5 forum I think) all saying it was the battery. So I went and bought a new battery, still the same as before.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what it might be? I was thinking it could be an immobiliser problem but I don't know how they manifest themselves. Then I thought it could be the switch that operates when the clutch is pressed but that seems to be operating ok when I look at it.

There is no noise at all wen I turn the key, no starter motor noise anything....

·
Super Moderator
6,876 Posts
!!!! ???? This description of circumstances is I think the first of its kind I've read on this forum in 9 years.
I cant make any cause/relationship between the calliper work and the electrical gremlins.
Can I ask, after the fuse box finished 'crackling' (and by the sound of it cooking itself) did you check the fuses? You dont say you have.
What was possibly not so wise was changing the key battery while having the other key in the ignition (by the sound of it possibly in an 'on' position).
No response from starter when attempting cranking could indeed be immobiliser (lack of ignition recognition signal) or burnt out fuse(s) or burnt out earth strap.
I'd like to say it is an easy fix but my gut feeling is this is more cooked than your turkey.
Lets see what other members think.

You didnt complete your sign-up with your World location although the Forum system believes your location UK.
As a new forum member the following link has some helpful guidance.

Reactions: ClareKemp

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sounds like an earth fault to me...and nothing to do with the caliper at all.

·
Registered
330 Posts
...and the "craking sound is either big fuses blowing, or relays "chattering".

·
Registered
330 Posts
Daft question perhaps, but why do you need to push the clutch in whilst starting the engine? It isn't stop-start is it?

·
Registered
Orlando 2.0 Diesel
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Daft question perhaps, but why do you need to push the clutch in whilst starting the engine? It isn't stop-start is it?
Its a safety feature I think, same as on my other car VW. Stops it starting in gear and causing a bump.

·
Registered
Orlando 2.0 Diesel
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like an earth fault to me...and nothing to do with the caliper at all.
I don't think its got anything to do with the calliper either, I just wanted to put down what led up to the car not starting.

·
Registered
Orlando 2.0 Diesel
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
!!!! ???? This description of circumstances is I think the first of its kind I've read on this forum in 9 years.
I cant make any cause/relationship between the calliper work and the electrical gremlins.
Can I ask, after the fuse box finished 'crackling' (and by the sound of it cooking itself) did you check the fuses? You dont say you have.
What was possibly not so wise was changing the key battery while having the other key in the ignition (by the sound of it possibly in an 'on' position).
No response from starter when attempting cranking could indeed be immobiliser (lack of ignition recognition signal) or burnt out fuse(s) or burnt out earth strap.
I'd like to say it is an easy fix but my gut feeling is this is more cooked than your turkey.
Lets see what other members think.

You didnt complete your sign-up with your World location although the Forum system believes your location UK.
As a new forum member the following link has some helpful guidance.
I don't think its got anything to do with the calliper, I just wanted to put what led up to the car not starting....just incase it was.

I can't see why changing the spare key battery while the original was in the ignition would be an issue?

I've tried all the relevant fuses and all seem fine, its tricky getting to the ones behind the glove box though. Non of them are burnt out, I think it was just relay chatter more than anything.

I just wish there were more diagrams online etc to show where certain parts are on the car such as the starter motor. My mechanic experience goes as far as brakes.....

I am in the UK

·
Registered
Orlando 2.0 Diesel
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wouldn't an earth strap problem do more than stop it starting though? The car seems fine, lights radio etc... all the dash board lights light up, glow plug light goes out... then you turn key fully and nothing.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Your last comment....Is highly reminiscent of what happens with a poor power connection, or a poor earth connection. Enough power flows to run the lower current devices, but when you turn on more load, the resistance is too high to allow the current to flow. V=IR (voltage =current x resistance) .

·
Super Moderator
6,876 Posts
I don't think its got anything to do with the calliper, I just wanted to put what led up to the car not starting....just incase it was.

I can't see why changing the spare key battery while the original was in the ignition would be an issue?

I've tried all the relevant fuses and all seem fine, its tricky getting to the ones behind the glove box though. Non of them are burnt out, I think it was just relay chatter more than anything.

I just wish there were more diagrams online etc to show where certain parts are on the car such as the starter motor. My mechanic experience goes as far as brakes.....

I am in the UK
Agree on the calliper.
Keys. This forum is full of key & immobiliser head banging issues. There might be a possibility if a key is in the ignition (maybe in an active state) that working on the second key replacing the battery may have resulted in an out of synchronisation set of keys which the immobiliser struggles with. (just a guess).
Fuses & Relays. If these are all checking out as okay, I would check the earthing at fuse box and the nut/washer on the starter. There have been known problems on earth nut working lose and/or corrosion. Also poor cable crimping on earth strapping at the connector- check crimping at battery and starter ends of cable.
Diagrams. There is a chance that Member Victor may have something.

I do however have to flag with you that you did not complete your vehicle information in your Sign-Up either in the left hand data pane and/or your Signature Footer.
All we know is you have a diesel Orlando - year and variant not stated. We have established through the questions/answers that it is not a stop start.

The answer that you are in the UK ideally needs to be placed in your Sign-Up World location so that it can be instantly recognised by anyone joining this Topic.
Please read the User Guideline notes provided previously on Location and vehicle data. Information you place in the left hand data pane and the Footer always appears automatically to the side of or under every post and avoids the need for readers to scroll back often through several pages to piece together this vital information.

·
Registered
723 Posts
There is a chance that Member Victor may have something
No, I won’t be trying to untangle this latest Gordian knot from the OP’s latest incarnation as CK, see enough of that already on the VXon board.

·
Registered
Orlando 2.0 Diesel
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agree on the calliper.
Keys. This forum is full of key & immobiliser head banging issues. There might be a possibility if a key is in the ignition (maybe in an active state) that working on the second key replacing the battery may have resulted in an out of synchronisation set of keys which the immobiliser struggles with. (just a guess).
Fuses & Relays. If these are all checking out as okay, I would check the earthing at fuse box and the nut/washer on the starter. There have been known problems on earth nut working lose and/or corrosion. Also poor cable crimping on earth strapping at the connector- check crimping at battery and starter ends of cable.
Diagrams. There is a chance that Member Victor may have something.

I do however have to flag with you that you did not complete your vehicle information in your Sign-Up either in the left hand data pane and/or your Signature Footer.
All we know is you have a diesel Orlando - year and variant not stated. We have established through the questions/answers that it is not a stop start.

The answer that you are in the UK ideally needs to be placed in your Sign-Up World location so that it can be instantly recognised by anyone joining this Topic.
Please read the User Guideline notes provided previously on Location and vehicle data. Information you place in the left hand data pane and the Footer always appears automatically to the side of or under every post and avoids the need for readers to scroll back often through several pages to piece together this vital information.
Yeah i've had a look at a lot of the posts regarding keys, i'll check the cables as soon as I know what i'm looking for..well i'll get my husband too anyway. Member Victor has replied but haven't a clue what he means.

·
Registered
Orlando 2.0 Diesel
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your last comment....Is highly reminiscent of what happens with a poor power connection, or a poor earth connection. Enough power flows to run the lower current devices, but when you turn on more load, the resistance is too high to allow the current to flow. V=IR (voltage =current x resistance) .
Any idea how I would sort this out?

·
Super Moderator
6,876 Posts
Any idea how I would sort this out?
There are enough possibilities in the previous posts to work your way through to answer your question; ie checking cables, terminals, crimping of terminal ends, fuses, relays etc. The fact that your 'problem' occurred after a brief period of being unused, could be a 'dry or corroded' connection (noting that Aberdeen has more snow and road salt which causes corrosion). The other thing to do is check the synchronisation of keys because you mentioned changing a key battery. Have a look in your owners Handbook for guidance on key synchronisation.
If the scope to check these out is beyond you or your partners scope then the ultimate answer is to get a mobile auto electrician to visit you or have your vehicle taken to a capable engineer with automotive electrical knowledge.

We can only lead the horse to water but cant undertake remote long distance automotive surgery I'm afraid. :-(

·
Registered
Orlando 2.0 Diesel
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are enough possibilities in the previous posts to work your way through to answer your question; ie checking cables, terminals, crimping of terminal ends, fuses, relays etc. The fact that your 'problem' occurred after a brief period of being unused, could be a 'dry or corroded' connection (noting that Aberdeen has more snow and road salt which causes corrosion). The other thing to do is check the synchronisation of keys because you mentioned changing a key battery. Have a look in your owners Handbook for guidance on key synchronisation.
If the scope to check these out is beyond you or your partners scope then the ultimate answer is to get a mobile auto electrician to visit you or have your vehicle taken to a capable engineer with automotive electrical knowledge.

We can only lead the horse to water but cant undertake remote long distance automotive surgery I'm afraid. :-(
I understand that, just thought someone could tell me where the cables are, especially the starter motor before I call one out. No worries though thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
6,876 Posts
I understand that, just thought someone could tell me where the cables are, especially the starter motor before I call one out. No worries though thanks for your help.
Clare, I dont want this to sound belittling but if you and your partner do not understand how to trace and follow cables to & from battery, fuse boxes, or even the basic location of the starter motor then you really shoudnt be meddling with this vehicle. You need a 'man who can' auto-electrician and he can check the items that Metro and myself have suggested as possibilities.
Good Luck

ps: It would help all Forum members if you would post the solution what ever it may end up being. Thanks.

Reactions: Metro1000
1 - 20 of 24 Posts