Chevrolet Owners Club banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Orlando 2.0 Diesel
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Clare, I dont want this to sound belittling but if you and your partner do not understand how to trace and follow cables to & from battery, fuse boxes, or even the basic location of the starter motor then you really shoudnt be meddling with this vehicle. You need a 'man who can' auto-electrician and he can check the items that Metro and myself have suggested as possibilities.
Good Luck

ps: It would help all Forum members if you would post the solution what ever it may end up being. Thanks.
He works away, I was trying to sort it myself. He'll more than likely be able to sort it himself when he gets back from sea. Cars a cart horse for the dogs so mine will have to carry on getting muddy.....:cautious:

Ill post when sorted

·
Super Moderator
6,881 Posts
Okay, I understand. You were brave enough to attempt to resolve it, so top marks for trying. The gremlins you have described are similar to others reported on this forum and the solutions have often tested the patience of even fairly skilled owners who know their way around vehicles mechanically/electrically.
It is obviously frustrating to be a vehicle 'down'.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Stuff like this can take a frustrating amount of time and effort to sort out, even if you have some experience and equipment. I'm battling with a persistent, but "intermittent" cylinder 3 misfire on my Aveo. Swapped the plugs (gas cars burn through them very quickly), no joy, swapped the leads, marginally better. When the EML comes on, I can clear the fault, and all is good for a few miles, rev it hard and it goes away, then it is back with a dreadful lumpy tickover, Tomorrow morning I will substitute my spare coil pack before it heads off on it's (daily) 170 mile delivery round, but other than that the next check will be a compression test at the weekend. To add to the misery the 407 failed it's test yesterday with a bad track rod end that got replaced by me this morning.....but can't get tested again until Friday, and, to be honest, neither a 407 SW or a 508 saloon is a fat lot of good for delivering parcels and groceries if one happens to be sent to the middle of Cambridge or Peterborough. It's like turning an oil tanker/cruise liner round in in a river......

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Clare,

My wife's Captiva had an odd starting issue before the festive season last year. It transpired the root cause was a dodgy connection to or within the fuse/relay box in the engine bay. My gut says this only came along once the damp, colder weather arrived. When the car was unlocked the front fogs would light up along with the offside wing mirror indicator - and the car simply wouldn't start. Before the box was removed and everything cleaned, the workaround was to give the box a tap. The car would then come alive and would start.

Just thought I'd chip in with this. It's worth a 'tap' :)

Reactions: Metro1000
21 - 24 of 24 Posts