Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doe any member use their Captiva for towing a caravan, if so how stable is it when towing at speed - legal speed of course! I have a Bailey Vermont which weighs just under 1400kg, however I bought the Captiva to possibly tow in the future (next year hopefully) a twin axle fixed bed caravan.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I tow an elddis about 1300kg, tows it with ease although it is better with a stabilizer bar fitted gets rid of the little sways. Have had it well over 80 and is fine but also a bit frightening thinking if any thing was to go wrong it would be a wipe out. Brakes well havetried emergency stops just got some smoke from the caravans tyres locking up but stopped in a straight line. make sure you change the vans tyres regularly they don't ware but deteriorate with being stood a lot putting uneven flat spots not sure if its every four years or so. Took it on the south cost last year 1000 miles or so no problems don't even have to fit mirror extensions. It Is heavy on juice towing with my auto box.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Big Al for the advice.
I now have a second key for my car as a new one was programed today. Howeve the replacement front badge was not fitted, as when the garage, Arnold Clark too it out of its packaging it was found to be faulty. Does Chevrolet have any form of quality control?

Evo 370

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi Big Al,
Am just kitting up for the first tow with my Cap, and having just bought a set of mirrors, I spot your message saying you don't need them! Since my caravan is wider than the car, I legally need towing mirrors, or so I am told.

Have you got a narrow caravan, or are you at risk from an overzealous cop?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Can see whats behind me through the caravan and anything that pokes its head out to overtake me through the mirrors, that's good enough for me, if the cops want something else and they haven't got the right handshake will cross that bridge when it comes to it, same as the number plate, tinted windows and refusing to have a slug in my ear.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sounds like you comply with the spirit of the law, but not the word! I just didn't want you to be caught out by being unaware.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Everything is a bit borderline and I know I should not answer the phone while driving, usually pull in if need to have a conversation. Towing with the captivais easy can just feelit holding you back a bit on setting off and some accelerating although the auto kicks down and you're away, don't have to worry about the tail wagging the dog, just have to remember its on the back and give yourself a bit of a wider birth. Also I keep the nose weight Farly high within the limits but with the captiva being self leveling it keeps the van a little more stable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tow a twin axile bailey limosin with a 1600kg weight. with no problems at very stable

FYI it is a legal requirement to have towing mirrors fitted to your car when towing a caravan

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I stated on anothe post I have changed my caravan from being a 2 berth to a 23ft long Bailey Olympus 624. The new caravan is just what I said I wanted, a twin axle with a fixed bed and a rear shower room. The van come in just over 1600 kg. Although I know it is there the caravan is very stable even at speed. This is due to the new type of control system fitted to the caravan. For anyone who is thinking about using a Captiva for towing, it is an excellent tug!

·
Registered
44 Posts
its not good for towing if you have an auto I have had my foot flat on the pedal at 50mph up a hill and its been changing up and down like a mad thing it drinks fuel like no tomorrow
my van is a 1400kg ace so not big at all
get a mondeo, or wait for the new captiva

·
Registered
476 Posts
Expect about 20 mpg when towing, and knock it across into manual if kickdown and gear change co-inside on a hill,

·
Registered
997 Posts
The moral of the story might be if you want to tow, get a manual...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Have just done first long (190 mile) motorway tow of my Abbey 215 GTS caravan. Very stable, cruised at 60mph on a light throttle, and would creep up to 70 if not watched. Consumption reading was 29.1 mpg, which was 26 mpg brim to brim on fuel tank. Very satisfied with towing capability, but note a) manual Gearbox and b) remapped...........!
Had Sccobyste left his caravan handbrake on?

·
Registered
44 Posts
no mate been towing a long time and towed some big stuff our van is quite big and not a smallerabbey
if you read the posts the captiva is thirsty and you seem to be getting more mpg towing than most of us just driving
we must all be driving with the handbrake on lol

on a serious note the manual will be better for towing and even better with a remap the auto is a little flimsy

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Many years ago I used to tow with a Grand Cherokee 3.1TD auto. Due to the size and torque of the engine it towed without any problem. However when in cruise and going up hill the system used to jump up and down gear very quickly, I always use tolaugh and saythat the gearbox was having a nervous breakdown. Seriously I have to say that my Captiva is better than the Jeep, this only goes to show how diesel technology has improved.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Am currently towing on holiday in Scotland, and have been surprised at how the Cap will pull up thelong drags in 4th or 5th. Since I did not tow with this car pre remap, I have no idea how the standard motor would pull.

Previous towing vehicle was a 3 litre diesel v6 Vectra estate, and that seemed to need more change downs than the cap for similar gradients.
All in all a good towing vehicle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts