Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010, Chevrolet Spark LT, 1206cc
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my daughter has a Chevrolet Spark 2010 model which she is learning to drive in. It has today developed a fault with the Central Locking system. Basically, when pressing the lock button on the key-fob, the doors lock but then unlock immediately. I have tried the two keys I have & fault is same with both.

I have tested the door close buttons / sensors which all seem to work fine (instrument cluster & interior light changing state).

The driver & passenger side doors lock individually when using the actual key.

I have located the fuse box near the battery but cannot find a fuse for the central locking. The car doesn't seem to have an interior fuse box (as indicated it may in the manual)??

Please can someone help point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
Many door locking problems relate to a cable fault in the door to chassis loop.
Other thing to check is whether the key fob batteries have expired at the same time. Poor key fob batteries are a possibility.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many door locking problems relate to a cable fault in the door to chassis loop.
Other thing to check is whether the key fob batteries have expired at the same time. Poor key fob batteries are a possibility.

Hi thanks for the reply. It is same issue with both key fobs so unlikely to be the fob battery. What do I look for in the door to chassis loop? What does this actually look like & which door should i look?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
It is not uncommon for Both key fobs batteries to fail at the same time especially if both were replaced at the same time in the past.
Door loops..... most modern vehicles (25 years or more) have a connector rubber sheathed door loop from the vehicle chassis door frame to the inner front section of the door on the drivers side. A broken inner electrical cable is uncommon but not impossible. I'm going to assume this is the right hand side because although you didnt complete your World location or the vehicle data sections in your Sign-Up (both were left 'blank'), the forum system believes your location to be in the UK ?
You say you've checked the engine compartment fuses but not the interior cabin fuses. These are normally located on the lower section of the dash about knee level on the drivers side. If you are technically not very familiar I would suggest you consult an automotive electrician.

If you dont have interior fuses or door loops then I'm unsure which variant of Spark you have !!
I'm thinking there may be a Spec Savers situation here :) ?

Have you verified that other rear doors and the tail gate are properly closed. There is a possibility if these are not shut fully the vehicle may refuse to lock. Other members may have suggestions which I've not covered.

You can complete your Sign-Up world location and vehicle variant details by reading the Guidance section I posted in post # 2 and here:

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Check the main car battery. Last year, my Aveo battery was replaced at 11 years old, the car would start, so long as it hadn't been left more than a few days, but would not lock on the remote, and either went down then up again, or "chattered" a few times. The battery would sit at just over 12v, 12.05v or so. When replaced the problem went away, and the new battery sits at 12.8v after a week of standing, but anything down to about 12.2v is "normal".
I know that on my Peugeots, even a fuse blowing can trigger "low voltage" codes on multiple different ECU's around the car, which while not affecting the function of the car, remain stored until cleared. I suspect that the Aveo alarm/locking ECU was doing the same, but is less vocal about it, and also my half decent code reader will only read engine code on the Aveo, not the other stuff.
Suggestion: Charge the main battery fully, and measure it's voltage, then check the locking function, leave it a few hours and recheck the voltage and locking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, I will get the battery checked & see. The car starts 1st time even after sitting for a week or slightly longer. This issue is new this week as previously, the car locked fine.

I will also check all fuses & relays to make sure that nothing has blown or come loose at any point.

Thanks,
Ricki

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is not uncommon for Both key fobs batteries to fail at the same time especially if both were replaced at the same time in the past.
Door loops..... most modern vehicles (25 years or more) have a connector rubber sheathed door loop from the vehicle chassis door frame to the inner front section of the door on the drivers side. A broken inner electrical cable is uncommon but not impossible. I'm going to assume this is the right hand side because although you didnt complete your World location or the vehicle data sections in your Sign-Up (both were left 'blank'), the forum system believes your location to be in the UK ?
You say you've checked the engine compartment fuses but not the interior cabin fuses. These are normally located on the lower section of the dash about knee level on the drivers side. If you are technically not very familiar I would suggest you consult an automotive electrician.

If you dont have interior fuses or door loops then I'm unsure which variant of Spark you have !!
I'm thinking there may be a Spec Savers situation here :) ?

Have you verified that other rear doors and the tail gate are properly closed. There is a possibility if these are not shut fully the vehicle may refuse to lock. Other members may have suggestions which I've not covered.

You can complete your Sign-Up world location and vehicle variant details by reading the Guidance section I posted in post # 2 and here:
Hi, thanks again for the info. I will look into all you suggested. I have located the interior fuse board, unfortunately its tucked up behind the fascia (RHS of steering column) with no removable panel to access it so its a case of laying on back & checking.

I have checked all the front & back door closure microswitches, each turns the interior light on/off when activated as well as the door open illumination on the dashboard. So i assume that these are functioning correctly. I will have a look at the boot & bonnet switches today.

I will also check / replace both key-fob batteries to see if this makes a difference.

I've read elsewhere (via google) that disconnecting the main battery & leaving for 10-mins before reconnecting could be a solution as it 'resets' some electronics & diagnostics. Is this recommended or not would you say?

I will also update my details with vehicle ID later to make it easier for people to see spec etc. You are correct in that I am in the UK.

Thanks,
Ricki

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, I have tested further with details as follows. Please note that issue continues to exist:

Main Battery 12.27v (car not used for 2-days)
Key-fob Battery 2.792v (replaced with 3.327v battery)

Both rear door switches - illuminates both interior light & dashboard icon
Both front door switches - illuminates both interior light & dashboard icon
Boot switch - illuminates both interior light & dashboard icon
Bonnet switch - doesn't seem to provide any function. Removed & tested with multimeter, working fine. placed short across cable (simulate closed switch) to test but had no effect on interior light or dashboard icon.

All fuses & relays checked & seem fine (using multimeter for fuses)

When i press the keyfob, i can hear the relays changing state but the doors just unlock immediately.

Any further help appreciated.

Thanks
Ricki

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, I have tested further with details as follows. Please note that issue continues to exist:

Main Battery 12.27v (car not used for 2-days)
Key-fob Battery 2.792v (replaced with 3.327v battery)

Both rear door switches - illuminates both interior light & dashboard icon
Both front door switches - illuminates both interior light & dashboard icon
Boot switch - illuminates both interior light & dashboard icon
Bonnet switch - doesn't seem to provide any function. Removed & tested with multimeter, working fine. placed short across cable (simulate closed switch) to test but had no effect on interior light or dashboard icon.

All fuses & relays checked & seem fine (using multimeter for fuses)

When i press the keyfob, i can hear the relays changing state but the doors just unlock immediately.

Any further help appreciated.

Thanks
Ricki
Where do all the wires from each of the door switches go to? is there a control unit somewhere (likely drivers side near steering column as thats where i hear relays clicking etc. Also not sure if alarm is working or not & not sure how to test?

Could a key-fob reset do the trick? If so how is this performed as can't find much on youtube etc.

Thanks
Ricki

·
Registered
100 Posts
If the central locking set up is the same as the Kalos. The central locking should lock and unlock via the drivers door lock when using the key. The passenger door only locks or unlocks itself and does not operate the central locking.
You mention that both drivers and passenger doors lock and unlock individually with the key.
So either the actuator in the drivers door lock has failed or there is a break in the wire. Which is causing the Central locking to think the door is not closed / locked and unlocking the others when you use the remote to lock.
What happens if you manually lock all doors and try to unlock with the remote?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the central locking set up is the same as the Kalos. The central locking should lock and unlock via the drivers door lock when using the key. The passenger door only locks or unlocks itself and does not operate the central locking.
You mention that both drivers and passenger doors lock and unlock individually with the key.
So either the actuator in the drivers door lock has failed or there is a break in the wire. Which is causing the Central locking to think the door is not closed / locked and unlocking the others when you use the remote to lock.
What happens if you manually lock all doors and try to unlock with the remote?
Hiya, yes operating the locks with the key only locks/unlocks the individual door. If I manually lock all the doors & then unlock with the remote, all the doors will unlock. Its the locking that the issue is.

Thanks
Ricki

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, bit of an update on my central locking fault & maybe someone can assist further.....

Disconnected the main battery for approx. 1 minute. Reconnected it & the central locking worked again. Tried it a few times and all was fine. Started the car up for a couple of minutes then turned it off & central locking fault was back again!!

Repeated the battery disconnection / reconnection again & again the central locking worked fine until i started the car up where the fault returned again.

Any thoughts???

Thanks
Ricki

1 - 13 of 13 Posts