Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a Chevy Aveo 2010 plate. I have been having problems with my central locking system. I had some issues at the start of the year where the locking system was constantly clicking on and off. I had it fixed temporarily but I had to take it to a garage 3 times as every time I took it in, the garage couldn’t find any problem with it.
It was fine for about 8 months and now the locking system is paying up again.
The key is working as the light is coming on when I click it (so the battery is fine, I replaced it the first time I had problems) but it isn’t unlocking the car. When I open it manually with the key in the door the alarm goes off and no matter how much I click the fob the alarm won’t go off, even when I’ve turned the engine on. When I lock it manually I have to lock all the doors separately, if I just lock the drivers door it doesn’t lock any of the others.
I want to take it to the garage again but I don’t think they’re 100% sure what to do as the car make and model is so obscure. Any help would be appreciated, or what I could tell the garage to do/ suggest to them would be helpful. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
Zosia, Across most vehicles (not just Aveo) the usual problems to check are (i) Ensure batteries in the FOB are new; (ii) Check for corrosion inside the FOB on the battery terminals - use a magnifying glass if necessary.
(iii) Follow the instructions in your Owners Handbook in respect of re-synchronising keys/Fob. I dont have a copy of Aveo Handbook unfortunately so I cant refer to it.

You can use the Forum Search Function to read up on any previous posts on the same topic.
Typical link here:-https://www.chevroletownersclub.co.uk/search/9449/?q=Key+synchronisation&t=post&c[child_nodes]=1&c[nodes][0]=15&o=relevance

You also need to complete your Sign-up. Location was left blank but Forum system and your ref to 2010 plate implies UK.

Helpful Info on using the Forum facilities (including the Search function) can be read here ;- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

Edit : I've since looked up 2012 Aveo Handbook. There is a section 'Keys, Doors and Windows' from page 18 onwards. See what your Owners Handbook says.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Did you buy a high quality battery (Panasonic/Duracell/Maxcell, etc) from a reputable source, or one of those poundshop cards of 10 for £1?

I ask because the cheap ones just can't supply the current to the transmitter, without the voltage dropping off (they are OK in mini torches, toys, etc) and then don't work. You can ignore the LED in the fob, it will light up regardless.
The alarm will go off when you manually open it without the signal from the fob to turn it off-that is what it is supposed to do.

Also, do not underestimate the effect that a poor or tired main battery can have (particularly in cold weather). I had problems for months with the locks "chattering" and refusing to lock. The problems completely went away when the battery was replaced. It was well shot really, but it is such a little engine, it takes hardly any effort to spin it over and start it. It was parked behind gates at the time so I just didn't lock it.

Reactions: Aussie Ed

·
Registered
100 Posts
The central locking going through the cycle of lock / unlock when you try to lock the car. Sounds like it thinks a door is not fully closed. This could be a break in a wire somewhere (normal points where this happens is in the harness between door and door frame as the wires can flex each time the door is opened / closed). Or could be a failed door actuator.

Not sure if the alarm system will have a rolling code which if goes out of sync will mean the car will ignore signal from remote. This is were the remote sends a code number and each time the button is pressed it increments the number. The car will be looking for a certain code +/- a limited difference. (To allow for the odd press of the button when out of range of the car).
Ed did mention to check hand book for re-synchronising keys/Fob.

·
Registered
2010, Chevrolet Spark LT, 1206cc
12 Posts
I have issue with locking / unlocking on a 2010 Spark LT, see thread link. (Central Locking Fault)

I've exhausted what was recommended in the thread (main & keyfob battery, all switches tested etc) but cannot see where the wires land (i.e. control unit) to try prove / disprove any of the wiring (like shorting out the cable).

Any advice much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
Divettri, This post doesnt technically belong here as it is a different vehicle but I can see you are trying to 'spread your net' so I'll leave it in case it jogs a response from an Aveo reader.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts