Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 diesel Captiva has now twice shown the 'change oil light' only after about 7500 km.
First time I tought that it was just not resetted properly, I changed the oil just in case and resetted the light. Now after another 7500 km the **** light came on again. I again changed the oil, checked for fuel in it by putting few drops on a white paper. Didn't see any.

Does anybody know how the ecu is computing the time when to lit the light ? or have somebody else had this problem ?

·
Registered
380 Posts
The epica (same engine ) usually needed oil changes at this distance.,was cheaper to do it, but make sure you are using the correct acea c3 oil, Google dexos 2 approved oils

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have just bought a 2008 Vauxhall Antara. No oil change light on yet, but out of curiosity, how do you reset it after you change the oil please?
FYI, I have joined on here as it is far better for info than any of the Vauxhall sites, I hope you Chevrolet guys don't mind....

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
-Turn the ignition key to 'ON'
-Press the gas pedal fully 3 times within 5 seconds
-Turn the ignition key to 'LOCK'

·
Registered
476 Posts
One of the conditions that brings on the change oil light is when there has been forced DPF's in progress and the engine is turned off mid action, the ecu adds up how many times this has happened and to protect the engine recommends an oil change because of the increased risk of fuel diluted oil. Also this business about testing the oil with kitchen roll, I do not know if different types of rollmakes a differencebut from my experience when I was having my DPF trouble and the change oil light came on I tested the oil but did not get the two rings on the paper, but I knew there was fuel in the oil because the oil level increased up the dip stick, so be careful using that test. [do you do a lot of short runs or town work? ].

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

We have just bought the Antara and the light has not been on yet, I'm just getting infrmation for when I do an oil change hopefully. The car is mainly used by the wife who does a 15 mile each way run to work every day on country roads. We bought it to tow our caravan at odd weekends and holidays, so this will be it's main other use. I intend to take it for a good blast up the motorway every couple of weeks if we don't have it out with the caravan.

I'm aware of the DPF issues and oil levels rising with diesel contamination as I'm on my second Mazda 6 and they use the same system. I've never had an issue with the Mazda DPF, but I do high motorway miles evey week. I know others have had issues.

Regards

Andy

·
Registered
997 Posts
I never had an issue with my DPF and about 70% of my mileage is motorway, although i think lack of short runs and the engine getting to temp every time it starts is probably more protective than motorway miles per ce.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This has just happened to ours while my wife has been driving it today.

We only had it serviced in June so even if it was in the middle of DPF cleaning does it mean the oil is no good and has to be changed?

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
CarbonBlackM5 said:
does it mean the oil is no good and has to be changed?

Not necessarily! Might just be 'the system' being overly reactive to failed / incomplete regens.

Might be worth checking the receipt for last service - make sure they used the correct oil (presume you have a diesel), as incorrect oil for diesel engines will lead to more particulates/ash in DPF.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Is it worth risking the possible damage to the engine and especially the turbo by ignoring the light
, mine came on with failed regenerations onlythree months after being servicedand doing onlytwo thousand miles, I know it repeatedly tried to regenerate and the oil level increased up the dip stick with pollutingdiesel, tried the kitchen paper test but that just showed one black spot so don't rely on that test. The change oil lightcan not analyse the oil but calculates the change through distance traveled,regenerations, stops and starts etc.

·
Registered
476 Posts
[ Off the net] How does the system work? The GM Oil Life Monitor System is not a mileage counter. It is actually a computer based software algorithm that determines when to change oil based on engine operating conditions. There is no actual oil condition sensor. Rather, the computer continuously monitors engine-operating conditions to determine when to change oil. Over the years, millions of test miles have been accumulated to calibrate the system for a variety of vehicles. The system was first introduced in 1988 and is now on more than 10 million GM vehicles.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I would check that the miles before service and after don't add up to the service interval and the garage forgot to reset the system!
Just saying- it happened to me 200 miles after a full service!

·
Registered
119 Posts
That was going through my mind aswell bigiain.
If I ask they're bound to say 'oh yes of course sir' as the stock answer!

Got my first annual service coming up in three weeks, car booked in, price quoted at £215, i thought pretty reasonable. I didn't go for the 3 years servicing package when I bought the car, i know it will cost me in the end if I hold on to the car for 3 years or more, but it was just the thought of shelling out the extra £400 at the time that put me off. Ridiculously bad money sense on my partwhen you think about it, but hey ho.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
JBG, I think it is perfectly reasonable as a 'paying customer' to make it clear to your dealer that you expect allaspects of the service to be undertaken in accordance with GM Chevrolets service schedule.Far too many garages cut corners - like not actually changing the oil filter, (there's an extra £20 profit straight away) or using inferior oil (ie dont use C3 when they should in a diesel with a DPF).
Years ago I had my doubts about a Ford dealer and got into a habit of marking things like the oil filter discretely with a marker, or grease blobs holding a fine thread across something that should be undone - and wasnt! I know that there are good dealers out there but my experience in over 45 years on the road is that they are few and far between. Treat your dealer/service agent as a rogue until he proves otherwise. It is a shame this industry has created this doubting attitude with its customers. My first service comes up in January.

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you can remember the posts I had in the past with pentagon main dealers. When my LTX was coming up to the end of warranty I took out there 3 year service plan, it seemed quite reasonable paying monthly and the car being main dealership maintained. When it went in for service I marked everything, when I picked it up everything done no problems filled in the service schedule sir. Turned out they had done no more than changed the oil [was the oil the correct type, probably not] After the service manager running away from me, several formal letters and trading standards getting involved, receivedan apology and all money refunded. Was a bit disappointed trading standards dropped it when I got my money back. So when main dealers complain about bad press what do the th---ing ba---rds expect!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Aussie Ed - how do you go about checking they've put the right oil in, ask them to show you the container it came in?!
Following on from the quote for the first year service, the dealer sent me through the post a quote for services and mots for years two, threeand four at £1148. Sounds a bit steep to me, considering the service deal for years one to three was only £400. Do I assume from this that year four is a big service and a few extra bits and bobs are changed?

Sorry I know i'm being lazy and not checking the service booklet!

·
Registered
476 Posts
If I use an independent garage I usually provide them with the oil to save them being tempted in getting an inferior alternative, we are both happy with that arrangement, they also give me back whats over for topping up.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Likewise BigAl. I've already bought my oil (while on special deal) in readiness for my next service.

·
Registered
476 Posts
If its your car and you find it too much palaver, what about the garage finding it too much palaversourcing a specific grade of oil ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts