Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. The change oil light came on on my Captiva LTZ after 15000 miles (now 9 months old). I contacted my dealer and they said it might just be a low oil level, so I checked this and topped up the oil. The light is still coming on though, does anyone know if the light just needs resetting or will the oil actually now need changing ?

Thanks
Jon

·
Registered
25 Posts
Change the oil to avoid any potential engine damage and to be on the safe side preserve any warranty.
The system is set to monitor journey length, journey type and regen of DPF. If the warning light is on its likely to be accurate and should not be ignored. However at the end of the day its your decision, I personally believe in managing the car services in line with the makers recommendations - Chevrolet will tell you in the owners manual in laymans terms that the warning light is there for a reason and is signifying that the oil has been contaminated or that the specific mileage between oil changes has been reached.

Edited by: TeeJay

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll book it in the dealers, they quoted £105. Seems steep but small price to pay to ensure the warranty is kept watertight

·
Registered
63 Posts
My change oil light came on at 2500, I only had the car 6 weeks from new. I just reset it as I can't imagine it needs changing so quickly. Maybe I should tell them but I'm not Paying £100 after 6 weeksEdited by: Chindley

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, it's going in for a service in a few months so I'm tempted to just reset it. How did you go about resetting it ?

·
Registered
997 Posts
If you check the handbook, there is a protocol , which from memory is ignition on, press the throttle down 4 times in 10 seconds and then switch off. Switch back on the the reset should be complete.
Iain

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hang on chaps, isn't the service interval every 10000 miles / 1 year whichever comes first? So whilst i would agree with resetting the light after 6 weeks / 2500 miles as potentially the oil should be ok,i believe the first posters car is in need of a service infact from the info provided it is overdue.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The reason the oil gets contaminated and needs to be changed is that the diesel which is used in regeneration is supposed to be burn too however any extra is put back int the sump therefore the engineoil ends up with diesel in it. The Captiva senses this and the warning light comes on. If you check the oil you will find it black and higher than full. It is imperative that you change the oil. My neighbour who works for a large breakdown company told me that he had been called out to cars which have blown engines due to very high oil levels. PS I had to have the oil changed at 1400 miles.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Sorry, I misread your original post- the service interval is 10K- get it done before it goes bang!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You lot had me worried there!
When I took out the lease, the salesman at the time told methe servicewas every 20k and afterI looked in the service book yesterdayI also noticed that the services started at 10k.

I called my local dealer about to go ballistic for being told wrong information when he then confirmed the Captiva LTZ Diesel is every 20k miles or one year and that the Chevrolet service manual has 2 parts, the rear section is for Captivas (I hadnt noticed it!), he told me I wasnt the first to call enquiring about it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts