Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chevrolet Captiva 3.2 V6 2007

Hi i have a Check engine light that comes and goes, and P0017 code

P0017 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor B)

Read more at: P0017 Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor B)
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

The code is active even do the light goes of å i suspect that its something permantent.
Timing chains was replaced at around 30 000km due to a recall car is now up on 13 500k km
I really hope that this is just a camshaft position sensor, if its the timing chain and tensor again then i must say that the quality is really bad.
if chain and tension must be replaced again then its not worth dealing with.

So i will try to replace both cam shaft postion sensors and if that does not solve the problem i will replace the crank shaft position sensor.
Does anyone have good pictures showing the location of the sensors.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi yes that could be the one.
I assume that there are at least two sensors sinve its a v6.
I found something simillar that its not with in the drawing.
Its located under the third valve cover bolt counting from firewall.
The one Touching the lover part of the loop cable in the picture.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi yes that could be the one.
I assume that there are at least two sensors sinve its a v6.
I found something simillar that its not with in the drawing.
Its located under the third valve cover bolt counting from firewall.
The one Touching the lover part of the loop cable in the picture. View attachment 2362
Yes, they call up 2 off cam sensors in the parts list schedule so I took it the other sensor was located on the other camshaft. From your photo that certainly looks like the other sensor

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi again.

I starting to doubt that it could be the camshaft sensors.
The check engine light went off again and i have driven 190 km.
I read that CCv valve can give the same symptoms regarding timing and timing chain, debris clogges up i a small wire mesh in the valve reducing pressure.
I seems also very easy to replace and if im not mistaking its with in the design drawing im guessing its #1

·
Super Moderator
7,992 Posts
"I seems also very easy to replace and if im not mistaking its with in the design drawing im guessing its #1"

I dont think so. If you open the link Victor supplied (post #2) it lists and names the numerical items. It states item no.1 as Cam Shaft Position and not PCV/CCv.

·
Registered
328 Posts
As shown in parts diagram "item1" looks like a solenoid actuator for variable valve timing. The "item 3" seems to be the inductive sensor for the camshaft position sensing.

·
Registered
972 Posts
When I read A-man’s post #5 he mentioned CCv valve and I took that to be Crank Case Ventilation Valve. Lack of crank case ventilation can lead to lots of internal deposits in the engine and be problematic for VVT actuators with their own filter screens. So I followed the logic of removing and cleaning the VVT actuators.

I agree that # 1 is the actuator and # 3 is the camshaft position sensor. There are 4 actuators and 2 sensors per engine.

A problem you might encounter is that these screens are notoriously difficult to clean so unless you have access to ultrasonic equipment and suitable flushing medium you’re sometimes better just to replace them.

Watch out for the part numbers though, GM 12588943 was replaced with GM 12615613 but only for the Canadian market (Oct 2005) and the US market (Sep 2007) while the European market was left to soldier on with the GM 12588943. So, if replacing them, you would be better to double check the part numbers that are fitted and get the same part number for replacements.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point, i think a can get a hold of some guys that have an ultra sonic cleaner.
Checked the code an hour ago its still active when i check with tourqe, the P0017 is still listed active even do no check engine light currently on.
We will see what we end up with, would be nice to get this car sold.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have now driven just 410km until the light came on again.
I have no clue' hope its not the timing chain.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After driving 72km the ligh was of when i started the car.
I ordered two camshaft sensors and a crankshaft sensor just in case.
But i start to belive its something else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts