Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Captiva 2.2 LTZ manual
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some really practical advice my 2012 Captiva has died because the transfer box, gear box, clutch and fly wheel all need to be replaced. The thing is the car has only 60,000 miles and has not been driven that much. I bought it only 5 years ago with 20,000 miles on it from a main dealer in the UK.

I guess the problem now is the cost of replacing all the parts with new Chrevolet parts would be more than the car is worth so it is not a realistic proposition so I need to source the parts 2nd hand or generic parts but I need some advice on reputable car breakers in the UK or Europe and/or the appropriate generic parts that match exactly what I am looking for.

Would really appreciate any help here. I need to move forward and focus on what i can do now to get the car back on the road

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sorry for your car. At this point, I would just scrap the car and sell the parts that are still in good shape!

Just the transfer Box will set you back £1350.00 plus labour. I would not recommend getting a second hand one as they are all crap and eventually will break. The same goes with the gearbox and clutch. Clutch kit £550.00 plus £650.00 for an used gearbox here

unless you can DIY we are looking at £2550.00 just for parts.

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
Barry, The extent of the failure damage you report even by obtaining breakers parts is likely to exceed the viable market value of the vehicle. Member Marcal has already alluded to the potential high cost.
You've owned the vehicle for five years but only now you join the forum because you require assistance for others to do 'leg work' for you. Not wanting to sound unhelpful but this forum is not structured to be a means of getting other people to do your shopping for you.
You obviously have access to a computer so the scope to explore the UK & Continental Europe by internet is as much your capability as it is for Forum members.

You mention having had the vehicle since 20,000 miles so the question has to be asked during the five years of your ownership did you ever have the gearbox oil (ATF if automatic?) changed, and draining / servicing the transfer box ever been undertaken. Both these components are well reported as requiring timely servicing.

There are a couple of Forum Members who have previously listed they are 'breaking' their vehicles but mainly for the same reason as yours - beyond viable rescue.
What you possibly need is a fully working 'donor vehicle' which has simply suffered severe impact damage from which gearbox and transfer box are viable.
The problem with breakers yards on this model is that most vehicles will be with breakers because the very components (the expensive ones you want) are the reason they are at the breakers!

You havent completed your World location in your Sign-up but the Forum system has identified France ?
You can complete your Sign-up and vehicle Signature / Footer information and the following link provides helpful user information how to do this.

Best of Luck.

Reactions: gcmarcal

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for your car. At this point, I would just scrap the car and sell the parts that are still in good shape!

Just the transfer Box will set you back £1350.00 plus labour. I would not recommend getting a second hand one as they are all crap and eventually will break. The same goes with the gearbox and clutch. Clutch kit £550.00 plus £650.00 for an used gearbox here

unless you can DIY we are looking at £2550.00 just for parts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Barry, The extent of the failure damage you report even by obtaining breakers parts is likely to exceed the viable market value of the vehicle. Member Marcal has already alluded to the potential high cost.
You've owned the vehicle for five years but only now you join the forum because you require assistance for others to do 'leg work' for you. Not wanting to sound unhelpful but this forum is not structured to be a means of getting other people to do your shopping for you.
You obviously have access to a computer so the scope to explore the UK & Continental Europe by internet is as much your capability as it is for Forum members.

You mention having had the vehicle since 20,000 miles so the question has to be asked during the five years of your ownership did you ever have the gearbox oil (ATF if automatic?) changed, and draining / servicing the transfer box ever been undertaken. Both these components are well reported as requiring timely servicing.

There are a couple of Forum Members who have previously listed they are 'breaking' their vehicles but mainly for the same reason as yours - beyond viable rescue.
What you possibly need is a fully working 'donor vehicle' which has simply suffered severe impact damage from which gearbox and transfer box are viable.
The problem with breakers yards on this model is that most vehicles will be with breakers because the very components (the expensive ones you want) are the reason they are at the breakers!

You havent completed your World location in your Sign-up but the Forum system has identified France ?
You can complete your Sign-up and vehicle Signature / Footer information and the following link provides helpful user information how to do this.

Best of Luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aussie Ed

Thanks for your comments but a couple of points,

I'm based in Ireland and I had not joined the Chevrolet owners club before because I did not know it existed. Also as I have already conducted a long search with multiple breakers yards in the UK as chevrolet is not a common car in Ireland. The difficulty I have is recognising which ones are good and which are not. I am not looking for you or others to do my shopping for me but simply some advice for example I have a quote for all the parts from Vaux Parts UK but them seem to have very mixed reviews on trust autopilot

Lastly having joined the forum is it your role as moderator to tell me when and why I should join and what the forum should be used for is it up to other members to let me know if they feel they would like to share their experiences as they see fit as GC so kindly did,

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
Barry, Your original post did not explain or clarify any aspect of 'self help' you had undertaken whereas you now quote " I have already conducted a long search with multiple breakers yards in the UK". That information might at least have indicated you had made some attempt to source. All you said was "I need some advice on reputable car breakers in the UK or Europe and/or the appropriate generic parts that match exactly what I am looking for."
The 'reliability' of breakers yards is judged on parts available and this can vary day to day, week to week simply dependant upon what becomes available. So the terminology of 'reliable' is a difficult thing to assess, judge or comment upon.

CG provided some guide pricing - which you could have found on eBay anyway. We dont know where you've looked because you hadn't advised us.
I covered the dilemma of your situation with the following guidance :-
(i)There are a couple of Forum Members who have previously listed they are 'breaking' their vehicles but mainly for the same reason as yours - beyond viable rescue.
(ii)What you possibly need is a fully working 'donor vehicle' which has simply suffered severe bodywork impact damage from which gearbox and transfer box are viable.
(iii)The problem with breakers yards on this model is that most vehicles will be with breakers because the very components (the expensive ones you want) are the reason they are at the breakers - beyond economic repair!

Both CG and I have expressed that the reality of the damage and cost of rescuing your vehicle is such that it is probably not viable on grounds of cost.
Victor has provided a possible link that Antara components may be possible.
Scouring Ebay, Amazon, Gumtree (possibly), and motor journals are I think your only options.

The confusion (guesswork) over your World location would have been avoided if you had completed your world 'Location' in your Sign-Up.
Similarly you can add full vehicle details to your Signature footer. See the Guidance notes provided previously.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Barry said that his car had done 60t miles only when the main parts failed. Oil change would not have saved the car as the change periods had not yet exceeded.
Manual gear box can easily go 60t miles with the original oil. Transfer box + differential has no change interval but i changed mine in 145tkm. Both had enough oil at the time.
I would look for second hand parts for mine in case had a car with 60t miles on it. Even brand new parts would be considered. This car has at least 100t miles left or even double.
I may still not be the right person to give advices as i drive some 10tkm per year and sold my Captive away about two months ago. I am missing my big and reliable four wheels drive monster...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Barry said that his car had done 60t miles only when the main parts failed. Oil change would not have saved the car as the change periods had not yet exceeded.
Manual gear box can easily go 60t miles with the original oil. Transfer box + differential has no change interval but i changed mine in 145tkm. Both had enough oil at the time.
I would look for second hand parts for mine in case had a car with 60t miles on it. Even brand new parts would be considered. This car has at least 100t miles left or even double.
I may still not be the right person to give advices as i drive some 10tkm per year and sold my Captive away about two months ago. I am missing my big and reliable four wheels drive monster...

Correction. Transfer box fluid changes every 50.000 miles. ( still will break as I have changed mine and so did Chez and they got destroyed) differential there is no stipulated interval for changing fluids.

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
Barry, Mackie Automatic Transmissions based in Glasgow have been regularly mentioned in this Forum. They recondition GM gearboxes. May be they can recondition yours or supply a replacement.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Victor that's really helpful as I understand the Antara shares the same parts with the Captiva so I will definitely follow it up. Really appreciate it

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mine was year 2011 2.2D with autom. transmission. Asked the dealer when the gearbox, transfer box and differential oils should be changed and they said that gear box -"not yet" and transfer box / differential - has "life time oils".

Somebody has said on this forum that 2011 model had better built transfer box than the never ones (?).

As Ed said, reconditioned gearboxes might be available.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correction. Transfer box fluid changes every 50.000 miles. ( still will break as I have changed mine and so did Chez and they got destroyed) differential there is no stipulated interval for changing fluids.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine was year 2011 2.2D with autom. transmission. Asked the dealer when the gearbox, transfer box and differential oils should be changed and they said that gear box -"not yet" and transfer box / differential - has "life time oils".

Somebody has said on this forum that 2011 model had better built transfer box than the never ones (?).

As Ed said, reconditioned gearboxes might be available.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Nordic owner, really appreciate the support, thanks for your comments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Barry, Mackie Automatic Transmissions based in Glasgow have been regularly mentioned in this Forum. They recondition GM gearboxes. May be they can recondition yours or supply a replacement.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts