Chevrolet Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Captiva 2.2 LTZ manual
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just one other point the costs for each second hand part I have found, transfer box = typically £1350, Gear box £550 and clutch and flywheel = £400 and I hope to try and get them cheaper
So even the cost of replacing all of these parts with the labour is still cheaper than buying a 2nd hand Captiva 2012 with 60,000. Also assuming I source the parts from a car with low mileage and my mechanic in Ireland is happy with them I can put the car back on the road and as Victor says it should have another 100K miles left. So I don't see scarping the car as the option it does not make sense financially nor do i want to this, I love the car and want to get it back on the road

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just one other point the costs for each second hand part I have found, transfer box = typically £1350, Gear box £550 and clutch and flywheel = £400 and I hope to try and get them cheaper
So even the cost of replacing all of these parts with the labour is still cheaper than buying a 2nd hand Captiva 2012 with 60,000. Also assuming I source the parts from a car with low mileage and my mechanic in Ireland is happy with them I can put the car back on the road and as Victor says it should have another 100K miles left. So I don't see scarping the car as the option it does not make sense financially nor do i want to this, I love the car and want to get it back on the road

Buy the transfer box new! Used ones are not worth the gamble. Unless it was very low mileage less than 10k

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sorry for your car. At this point, I would just scrap the car and sell the parts that are still in good shape!

Just the transfer Box will set you back £1350.00 plus labour. I would not recommend getting a second hand one as they are all crap and eventually will break. The same goes with the gearbox and clutch. Clutch kit £550.00 plus £650.00 for an used gearbox here

unless you can DIY we are looking at £2550.00 just for parts.

·
Super Moderator
6,786 Posts
Barry, Sachs has been discussed on this forum previously.

As a new member, do bear in mind that the Forum Search facility will often provide earlier discussion information which will provide answers. There are about 10 years worth of back indexed topic discussions.
It appeared that some 'cross branding' and alternative label naming can take place on various components which in many instances come from one particular maker who then stamps or labels components for different distributors - sometimes it seems in the wrong box!
I do not recall there being any negative comments about Sachs. You can read up the previous discussions on the following link which I have located for you.

A helpful reminder for all Forum users that the Forum Search facility is located one of two ways.
(i) enter your search word in the 'Search Community' box in the centre of the black header header bar across the top of the page; or
(ii) go to the three white dots right hand side of black header bar. From the drop down select Advanced Search. Enter topic name/word > (omit member name and it will search All) > Select vehicle model ie in this instance Captiva.

There may well be more than one range of discussions because members have duplicated the same topic with slightly different titles. Keeping your search words as short as possible is better, otherwise the search tool will bring up irrelevant items.

I hope this helps you all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks very much Aussie Ed, I was just reviewing your previous conversation with Pinkie regarding the transfer box and see he got his problem sorted all in for £1800 so I am delighted with all the help Im getting here. My only regret is that I did not know of the forum earlier as I might have been able to do something regarding the oil in the transfer box

The help is really appreciated though as we do not even have a chevrolet dealer in Ireland so I need all the advice I can get. Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
6,786 Posts
The help is really appreciated though as we do not even have a chevrolet dealer in Ireland so I need all the advice I can get. Thanks again
Hi Barry, Appreciate your comments. On the whole we all try to assist each other. There is a nucleus of us who do our best. The important thing is for Members to post the solution or fix - this way we all learn for next time.

Reactions: gcmarcal

·
Registered
276 Posts
GC

I have come across another supplier of Clutch kits SACHS see below which are notably cheaper but I do not how they compare to other models, Can anyone comment

Hi Barry, if this comes complete with the flywheel is a very good price. I got a feeling that this is just the clutch and the other bits as just the flywheel is almost 300 quid!

There is a promotion on ebay and you can get the clutch kit for £171.00 (not sure about the quality)

Ebay code POPUPOCT20

I saw this today and thought that you could buy and do a transfer of the parts that you need and sell the car parts separately, you might even break even

Cappy 2500 ( category C)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks GC

Yes I checked with SACHS, it did not include the flywheel or the central slave cylinder
Really appreciate the help but I think the car with over 105K miles the parts I need are probably well worn

Here is what I have done to date after many hours searching and calling

It seems the price for a new clutch kit with flywheel and cylinder is about £550 if I buy from autodoc with the part coming from Germany and the brand is ASHIKA . Is this brand any good?

It is difficult with ebay as some of the people suggested TechniClutch for clutches and transitparts for transfer boxes seem to have really mixed reviews and the bad ones are really awful. Vaux Spares Ltd can give me the clutch and flywheel, transmission box and gearbox from a Chevrolet Capitva with 31k for £1900 which sounds great until I ask them for the car reg to verify the mileage and they said as it is a Category C they cannot give out the reg no which raises a huge red flag!

I have found a company Vauxcentre that seem to have a good reputation and I spoke with them and they claim to be supplying genuine new GM parts, they can get me the transfer box for about £1400 and the clutch and flywheel for about £450. The only issue is a 2 week wait for the parts . I would have to source the central slave cylinder which appears to be about £150 from SACHS. Is there any issue with using a generic cylinder with genuine GM parts?

All advice welcome

·
Super Moderator
6,786 Posts
the brand is ASHIKA . Is this brand any good?
Plenty of info online when looked up. Certainly not a tin pot company because their product range is extensive. Online catalogues available.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ashika are one of the cheapest parts providers in Romania. Some parts are medium-good, some are quite bad. If you plan to keep the car for a long time, don't buy Ashika, if you plan to keep it for 2-3 years max, you can buy it :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I changed mine at the beginning of this year and I bought clutch and flywheel GM genuine parts and inside I have found Valeo parts. The slave cylinder I bought it as aftermarket since I didn't find the original one in stock. Surprise - on the car the original parts were also Valeo and FTE. I guess you can buy directly Valeo and FTE, they are cheaper and they are the same.

These are the codes that I've used for mine, I gues they might help:
  • Flywheel genuine GM, code 96899520
  • Clutch kit genuine GM, code 25191310
  • slave cylinder FTE aftermarket, code ZA34036A1
  • Gearbox oil, 2 liters: Liqui Moly GL 75W-90 - API GL4+ (4434)

Here you can find some pictures with the parts that were on the car and the new parts that I have installed:

Good Luck!

Reactions: gcmarcal

·
Registered
706 Posts
Something to bear in mind.... Clutch systems with Concentric Slave Cylinders (CSC) can be absolute pigs to bleed and it's not unheard of to have to strip it all back down again to rreplace a faulty CSC.

If you're having someone do the work you're far better to let them also suppply the parts, that way if there's a problem with anything they have to stand the additional labour cost - not you.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hi Guys

Just to try and complete the story, I got all the parts from Vauxcentre (an Opel/Vauxhall parts providers) based in Romford

Brand new Clutch and flywheel, transmission box and the central slave cylinder for 2K.
All arrived within a week and now fitted and back on the road

Think this company is well worth dealing with as they guarantee the parts and had no problems at all

Many thanks for all your help, will be in touch

Barry

·
Super Moderator
6,786 Posts
Fantastic outcome and good lead on Vauxcentre based in Romford.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi Guys

Just to try and complete the story, I got all the parts from Vauxcentre (an Opel/Vauxhall parts providers) based in Romford

Brand new Clutch and flywheel, transmission box and the central slave cylinder for 2K.
All arrived within a week and now fitted and back on the road

Think this company is well worth dealing with as they guarantee the parts and had no problems at all

Many thanks for all your help, will be in touch

Barry

I think I got my transfer box from them! ;)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts