Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All

I have a strange problem with my Aveo. It is 2012 turbo diesel edition. It has started to stall as I am driving, literally losing all power. I have to pull to the side of the road and re-start the engine. The car’s ignition is still on, and all the electronics in the car continue to work. It just... dies.

Last week the car wouldn’t even start at all. It would crank but nothing. I phoned the AA who took it to a garage. They said that mechanically the car was fine but the battery was showing as low voltage and that it was showing up codes (if I was more car savvy I would of asked what the codes where) so they reset the battery and the codes cleared. It seemed to run fine when they test drove it.

Sadly however this morning it died again then continued fine until I got to work. In my desperation I disconnected the iPhone and it’s charger which was inside the USB thinking maybe that was the issue (it was an unofficial charger) but on the way back it stalled again. I guess I’ll have to take it back to the garage but can anyone give any insight to this?

It had it’s filters changed at the start of the year and a new battery in July because the owner didn’t drive it all during lockdown. He had no issues between then and when I purchased the car last month. He was driving back and forth from work.

I really need this sorted as I conduct sight test in care homes and we’re under the cosh at the moment and I’m letting patients down (and my wallet) if I’m unable to drive.

·
Super Moderator
6,701 Posts
Chezwig, The key to this probably rests with the vital missing evidence - the diagnostic codes !
The fact that the battery was 'low' appears to have been a contributory factor but this could be a red herring.
What I dont understand is your reference "so they reset the battery " what do you mean by 'resetting the battery'? Was the battery fully recharged? An underused depleted battery sometimes is not recoverable. Certain types of charger are capable of rescuing a sulphated battery for example and this can take many hours.

The obscure issue is that there has been sufficient power to crank the starter. Once started a diesel engine wouldnt normally 'just die' from lack of electrical power so I then have to question if it is a battery problem at all.

You say "It had it’s filters changed at the start of the year". Which Filters ? Did this include fuel filters - does the Service record say?
Lack of Fuel or lack of air are possibilities. The cause could be due to tears / splits in air feed or indeed a softened air hose collapsing.
See for example this post which was the solution to an obscure issue

You can explore the Back Index by using the Forum Search function.

As a new Forum Member the following link will be of help in how to complete your Location and add vehicle details to your Footer, as well as how to find your way around the Forum Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

The answer is really not possible based on the missing and conflicting information you've provided. Diagnostic codes are probably vital for making headway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Aussie

Thanks for replying. Yes it was the fuel filters that were replaced when the previous owner had trouble starting the engine. It was fine for him afterwards.

It was my naivety that lead to me not asking which specific codes were highlighted but this is word for word what they put on the report.

“Investigate reasons for vehicle cranking over but not firing up and report on findings. Numerous codes highlighted to low voltage, which have cleared down and vehicle tested OK”

They mentioned that they had reset something in order to clear the codes. Maybe the ECU? When I picked the car up from the garage the radio settings had reset as well as the language set from Finnish back to English (I was born here to Finnish parents and like to keep my eye in with the language by having all of my gadgets in Finnish)

A friend who works at a Land Rover dealer thinks that it is maybe due to old dirty fuel as the previous owner had the car sitting on his drive all through lockdown but he also suggested to register and ask experts at a Chevrolet forum as he’s not familiar with Chevrolets beyond a mechanic’s general knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
6,701 Posts
Hi Chezwig, Well done on quickly updating your data.
It appears from your reply that starting the vehicle was a problem even for the previous owner. Old fuel has to be very old to cause problems and six months of low or no use is unlikely to be a problem. A poor battery may not allow glow plugs to operate for starting but this would normally be visible on the dash screen. Some assumptions have to be made that earth connections have been checked. I'm back to your comment about the vehicle just dying whilst running. As the fuel filters were replaced not too long ago it is unlikely that these are the cause now (but not impossible), so I'm leaning towards an air supply problem.
You dont advise whether the air filter was listed as replaced so it would be worth checking or replacing that and making sure that the seal on the airfilter cap is secure and properly seated. Next possible area could be a dirty MAF (mass airflow filter) or a poor connection to the MAF.
MAF can be easily cleaned (gently to avoid damage).
Torn or split airhose is also a possibility, as is a hose which has softened to the extent it has (or is) collapsing under load.
The list of possibilities can go on and on but these observations above are the ones which are the most common.
The means of narrowing this down is Codes, codes, codes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Reminds me of a problem a friend had with their car. They had it for a while where they could be driving along and car would loose power and stop. Wait awhile and it would start up fine and run for hours or days before having problems again.
They changed the fuel filter and still had problems. Then one day the car stopped and would not restart. They took the fuel pump/ pickup out of the tank the pick up was clogged up with a jelly like substance. Which they gathered had been from contaminated fuel at a garage somewhere.
Once cleaned, tank drained to remove the last of the contaminants and fresh diesel in they had no more problems.

As mentioned above the error codes found would have been helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both. Your information has been really helpful. I drove it today with no problems actually, though I’m not under any illusion that the problem will fix itself.

I’ve booked it into a Chevrolet friendly Vauxhall dealer on the 20th. It’s nice to find a forum full of informative information not just on the problems that arise but Chevrolet fandom general.

·
Super Moderator
6,701 Posts
Good lead JM. It goes to show how obscure causes can be and the sharing of experiences. Hopefully for Chezwig this might be a solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts