Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had to replace 7 injectors on my Captiva in the last 14 months...

Surely this can't be right. I bought the car from a dealer in the UK and they have said there is no reason why the injectors are going it's just one of those things.

How can that be right???

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Which model variant and year? Series 1, Series 2, auto, manual? Mileage? Always give this information.
What sort of service history? Does it need new fuel filter? Has the vehicle been 'chipped' or 'remapped'?
Question is were the replacements 'new' or simply refurbished ones with possibly just a three month warranty?
What were the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)? Have they simply replaced the injectors because 'it looked like they were a possibility'. Could well have been something else.
Post the DTC's and other missing info and we'll possibly have a better idea.
Didnt you get some kind of warranty with the car and /or the replacement injectors?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Aussie Ed,

Sorry yes that information would have helped wouldn't it.

It's a Chevrolet Captiva Ltz Vcdi 2013 7 seater. It's automatic, Mileage is 69500.

It has full service history and I get the oil changed every 6 months since owning it. (bought it 2nd hand in Feb 2017 from a Vauxhall dealer). I got an extended warranty on it for 3 years, so all costs have been covered, but I'm worried that when the warranty runs out I will then have to pay for them to be fixed.

The dealer has done all the replacing of injectors, also the transfer box went and was also covered by the warranty.

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Wise person - taking out extended warranty. I have been a strong advocate of that on this forum for years especially the growing complexity of the modern engine and all the extra gizmos now added for emission control etc.
Pleased to hear that you have been spared the expense so far.
More to the point I too would be concerned at such repetitive failure ...... if indeed it has been injectors in every case.
Do you by any chance have any DTC codes. These are part of the engineering forensic trail.
Is the fuel pressure too high; did the previous owner have the engine remapped or is there a tuning chip fitted? The fact that the transfer box went as well is indicating to me to possibly be 'over tuned'.

Without the listed codes there is not much more we can go on.

·
Registered
232 Posts
In 30 years of car ownership and more diesels than I care to remember, I have had one set of injectors refurbished in a very high mileage vehicle.

It would be interesting to know what the symptoms were in the first place. Rough running, hard starting, excessive smoke?? Although all of the above would have a host of other causes as well.

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Spyder, You appear to be echoing my doubts. Much more to this than meets the eye I think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have the codes, but sure I could ask the dealer for them.

It does still appear to be rough starting, has to turn over for a few seconds before actual engine starting. That was really the only notice. The light has gone... for now.

Injector 1 has been replaced 3 times... I mean surely that means something else is wrong. I'm going to call the Service Manager today and ask what is going to be done about it.

But not really sure what my rights are on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also Aussie Ed (you seem to be an expert at Captiva's :) )

Only my driving's side keyless entry button works on the door... none of the others. Is that right?

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Also Aussie Ed (you seem to be an expert at Captiva's :) )

Only my driving's side keyless entry button works on the door... none of the others. Is that right?
Nope! Thank you for the compliment. I'm just another Captiva owner like you but I have a technical background and as my wife says - I read technical catalogues instead of novels!
As for the Keyless entry question; I dont have that so I'll have to pass that answer to someone who has.

·
Registered
Chevrolet Captiva Series II Auto diesel 2.2 litre LTZ White Pearl 37000
2 Posts
I don't have the codes, but sure I could ask the dealer for them.

It does still appear to be rough starting, has to turn over for a few seconds before actual engine starting. That was really the only notice. The light has gone... for now.

Injector 1 has been replaced 3 times... I mean surely that means something else is wrong. I'm going to call the Service Manager today and ask what is going to be done about it.

But not really sure what my rights are on it.

Hi Chimpette

I have read your post with interest, I have had similar issues with No1 injector, on my Captiva , a LTZ 2.2 auto diesel 2012. The EML illuminated, with a subsequent diagnosis of No1 injector misfiring, of which I was dubious as the car had covered 38000 from new. I have had 4 different opinions on the issue, I also have an extended warranty on the vehicle however the warranty company rejected my claim for the injector as fair wear and tear! The EML light is illuminated after the injector change. Can I ask did you finally solve the issue with your vehicle and if so, what was the end result?. My vehicle has now been off the road for some 3 weeks now with the garage unable to rectify the problem.

Any information would be really useful

Thanks

Steve

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Saw26, The EML lamp can illuminate due to a huge range of potential problems.
You dont inform us what the diagnostic trouble codes are on your vehicle. State them please.
Is your garage technically capable of dealing with GM vehicles?
Did they 'clear' the stored code after replacing injector?
Do they have Code readers capable of reading all GM codes? (some codes are 'invisible' if not read by GM capable equipment)
What are the symptoms your vehicle is experiencing anything other than misfire? ie exhaust smoke, colour, smell ? Reduced power ?
A 'misfire' can be attributed to electrical reasons.
Prior to the problem arising did you fill up with fuel from a different source? (Consider having the fuel tank drained down and try small quantity of 'fresh' fuel).

Far too much missing in the way of information. More more more please if others are to help you resolve this.

Reactions: Lord Nelson

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Saw26, I'm rather assuming that your garage reprogrammed the ECU after installing the new injector.
"each injector normally has a flow rate stamped on them. This flow rate number must be programmed into the ECU, otherwise you will have fuel imbalance between the cylinders".

·
Registered
48 Posts
HI chimpette, i had the same issue, to fix it i ended up having to replace all four at the same time complete fuel drain and pipes cleaned and tank , also fuel pump and all filters.
£2000 and 3 months still driving perfect no lights on the dash.
not the answer you wanted but it worked mine has only done 70k
i had made a number of previous post about this problem

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
LN, I guess your answer was for member Saw26 because unfortunately Chimpette never came back with a 'solved it' response after the last post of August 2018 regarding the injector problem (which may in fact have been something else?). It is so disappointing that solutions are so often never posted. Sometimes I think owners become so disillusioned with their vehicle that they sell it and never come back to the forum.
Your 'success' was a costly one. The downside to having 'the whole lot replaced' is that actually knowing what the single cause was is never established.
If Saw26 can provide more info ie codes, has he had fuel filters changed, tried different fuel etc etc we may build a better picture.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts