Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all do anyone know where I can get the rear back plates for my chevrolet epica ( 09 diesel) its the ones that hold the rear brake shoes on as it got shoes inside the discs and pads outside

·
Registered
T250 2dr. 1.2 lpg
510 Posts
You mean like these?

The price for these old ones tells me lots about the availability of new ones.

·
Super Moderator
7,918 Posts
Thanks fella thats the ones i should have then Thursday now thanks again
Newth, Member Metro has been generously Helpful in doing your online shopping for you!

Reminder (second): Complete your Sign-Up data please.
Read the following link especially the Sign-Up Location and Vehicle model sections. This will assist greatly with your future posts:-

·
Registered
T250 2dr. 1.2 lpg
510 Posts
Ed, I really don't get why in 2022 it is so difficult. I typed "Chevrolet Epica brake backing discs" into eBay to get that result. I spent more time looking up how many Epicas are still active in the UK (seems to be about 150 as of 2021), and chewing over what became of that Irish lacetti owner who had the same issue with backing plates for those disc/drum combinations ( I used to own a Peugeot 406 Coupe with a similar setup).

Truth is that I quite like the Epica, bland and short lived as it was. Same goes for the Lacetti. As I've mentioned before, I'm a delivery driver, racking up 120+ miles per afternoon on my equally ghastly Aveo, and one of my few pleasures whilst doing so is spotting the rare survivors of ghastly cars, like Chrysler Neons, Dodge Avengers, FIAT Mareas, Daewoo Leganzas, Hyundai Sonatas and al the other despised failures of the motoring world.

·
Super Moderator
7,918 Posts
Metro, I agree with you. We get post after post in this Forum saying "where can I get", "I cant find xyz" etc, yet I like you simply type in the item and hey presto up it comes! Is it that computer users dont know how to use their computer or have we raised a generation of individuals who expect someone else to do their thinking and shopping for them and off load it to someone else? Not point in having a computer (of which there are variations) yet not use its potential.

·
Registered
T250 2dr. 1.2 lpg
510 Posts
Ed, what really struck me when looking at that listing was just how thick those backing plates are. I just looked at the original pictures again, and they look to be between 4mm and 6mm thick, (certainly the centre area) so naturally I am curious as to why they need replacing. This is the bit that bugs me, and it is in no way a criticism of the OP. I really want to know what went wrong. A few pictures would tell us that, and may help others.

For a lot of people, I think that getting the correct search term may be the problem, coupled with the situation that they may not be as familiar with their vehicles as perhaps they need to be. It's not like trying to get parts for a Ford Focus it has to be said.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Metro, I agree with you. We get post after post in this Forum saying "where can I get", "I cant find xyz" etc, yet I like you simply type in the item and hey presto up it comes! Is it that computer users dont know how to use their computer or have we raised a generation of individuals who expect someone else to do their thinking and shopping for them and off load it to someone else? Not point in having a computer (of which there are variations) yet not use its potential.
I’ve got a different outlook on this. I don’t believe that someone who has enough internet savvy to join up, create a password etc and post a question about their car trouble would lack the ability to type that info into Google where they’ll get about half a million hits within a fraction of a second.

It’s either trolls who take a delight in having someone go and trawl the web just so they can offer profuse “thanks” then post a further twist to their original question just to continue the charade. Or it’s the work of agents to keep message boards alive.

What else could they be? Fifth columnists out to destroy the forum – because they certainly kill off a lot of genuine interest and lead to its slow demise. Not just on this board, just look at VxON forum which is reduced to pitiful these days.

·
Registered
T250 2dr. 1.2 lpg
510 Posts
Well said Victor, You would think that somebody with an '09 Epica would be used to having a hard time finding parts, and might have developed the skills to find them. Proof of the pudding is in the eating. Will the OP post pictures of his work on said Epica for the edification of the world or will he vanish under the bridge to await more goats?

When I not long ago had to change a lower suspension arm on my Aveo, I did not post pictures and a description here, because what I had to do to keep the machine going was a bit below standard (but was non the less done safely, my life depends on it being so) and I feared being ripped to shreds for what had to be done, or encouraging other to do the same without rigorous testing or experience.

I would be amazed if the backing plates on an '09 Epica (given how thick they are) had corroded to such a degree that they they needed replacement or could not be refurbished. Time will tell I guess.

·
Super Moderator
7,918 Posts
Metro / Victor, I thoroughly agree there are possibly opposing views on how the Forum is used (your posts #8 & 9).
You refer to the OP of being sufficiently savvy and being capable of Signing up etc and posting a question. But......... the OP didnt complete the basic sections of his Sign-Up (ie World location & vehicle details), and then posted (originally) incorrectly in the Main message section which does remind users to post under the respective named vehicle Forum. Then, despite being encouraged and provided with guidance twice on how to complete the basics of his Sign-Up, he still hasnt done so which conveys to me an inability to grasp how to use his computer to his best advantage.

Incomplete information is immensely frustrating to those of us who voluntarily provide answers but we have to dig and dig until lots more information is provided.
This Forum is relatively easy to use, as is finding parts on the Internet with the scope and capability of Google, eBay, Amazon and other such sources.
There is clearly a growing tendency for the expectation of asking others to do the research, legwork and shopping for them which indicates to me utter laziness.
There are posts after post the past two or three years where the same nucleus of us have used our key board and within seconds found the very answer to the question being asked. Similarly the Forum has almost fifteen years of filed back information yet Forum users dont use the Advanced Search back index ..... why not?? People have one of the most powerful and useful 'tools' in their hands (or on their desktop) and simply dont use it to their advantage. They expect others to do the 'thinking' for them and then ride off into the sunset.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Well said Victor, You would think that somebody with an '09 Epica would be used to having a hard time finding parts, and might have developed the skills to find them. Proof of the pudding is in the eating. Will the OP post pictures of his work on said Epica for the edification of the world or will he vanish under the bridge to await more goats?

When I not long ago had to change a lower suspension arm on my Aveo, I did not post pictures and a description here, because what I had to do to keep the machine going was a bit below standard (but was non the less done safely, my life depends on it being so) and I feared being ripped to shreds for what had to be done, or encouraging other to do the same without rigorous testing or experience.

I would be amazed if the backing plates on an '09 Epica (given how thick they are) had corroded to such a degree that they they needed replacement or could not be refurbished. Time will tell I guess.
I must have led a sheltered life, I’d never heard of the troll under the bridge and the goats so I googled it, found the story and had a laugh.

The message today is still the same, DON’T FEED THE TROLL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts