Chevrolet Owners Club banner

Chevrolet matiz 1.0l head and block skimming specs.

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Jackherer 
#1 ·
Hi there , greetings from Croatia !

Pretty please , need some specs for machining the head and bock surfaces .

Working on my mates 2005 1.0l Matiz , which blew head gasket on the 1-st cylinder , upon closer inspection the problem which made the gasket blew is "dished"/"eroded" block mating surface between one coolant jacket and cylinder 1 gasket fire ring .

Thus , i need to pull the engine out and send the block and the head to the machinist .

How much can be safely removed/machined off from the block and head before piston/valve contact on these engines ?

Thanks in advance !
Kind regards

#2 ·
Jackherer, There are existing discussions on Matiz head machining and gasket implications.
The Forum Advanced search function is a useful resource. Read links here :- Search results for query: head skim

Whilst you have stated your location and vehicle being discussed within your post content, it is usual to complete this information in the designated locations during the Sign-Up process. This way the information is automatically carried over in every post you make which assist all members.

Helpful Forum information can be read here:- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

#3 ·
Hi !

Thanks for that , i've added/completed now all the sign in info .

With regards to the head/block skimming specs , i've seen this post : Less power after headgasket change .

However i'm curious to know which is the maxi limit spec for head/block skimming before getting into danger of valve-piston contact .
Unfortunately i do not have any factory data/manual for this engine , and there's seems to be only one size/thickness of the head gasket available without thicker "repair" variants (it's composite graphite gasket , not an MLS) .

Few shots of the culprit area on the block which "eroded" :
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Bicycle part

Wheel Light Automotive tire Automotive design Bicycle part

Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Air gun Wood

Regards !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.