Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

Its Christmas Day, the kids are in bed. I thought I may as well register on the Chevy Captiva Owners Forum. What else would you do when Downton Abbeys on the TV and the wife is engrossed!

Bought my Captiva a month ago today, a 61 plate LT 7 seater. Replacing a Zafira 1.8. Kind of an impulse buy after I received an email with the £6k reduction. Was waiting for the new Zafira Tourer to come out next year, but succeumbed to the more blokey SUV which i've always had half an eye on over the past couple of years.

First impressions - fuel economy no where near to what i was hoping, although more of an issue for the wife who tends to pay for the fill ups. Not sure how the advertised mpg's are calculated but urban is more like 26 mpg, and combined 32 mpg. I've been told that mpg improves once the engine beds down, and the ambient temperatures rise. Will wait and see.

Gearbox and clutch isn't the best - although after 800 miles gearbox is smoother than on collection day, but clutch feels stiff. Put it this way the Zafira was better in both departments.

However, all in all, I much prefer it to the Zafira, not sure why, maybe road presence, ride height, more blokey car, looks better, i'm not sure. It definetely looks good from the front, I feel that the rear of the car is still weak and needs beefing up somehow.

One stupid question which someone may have an answer to. I take my eldest daughter cycling at a local country Park and I could fit two bikes inside the Zafira without the need for a bike rack. I have noticed that the tailgate dimensions on the Captiva appear slighly reduced to that on the Zafira, has anyone tried getting a bike or two in the back of their Captiva with the seats in row two down?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick progress report.

Clutch and gearbox appear to be getting smoother as the miles rack up, which I suppose is to be expected. Second to third still doesn't feel as smooth as it should, not sure if its me, the clutch or the clutch pedal. Still hoping for it to iron out as time goes on and things bed down.

Fuel economy is still not what I hoped for, but am getting used to it. Still unhappy about the brochure advertised miles per gallon figures, they are way off, and not sure how they get away with the blatant inaccuracies.

I can get two full size bikes in the back with the second row seats down. I know I should get a bike rack but I would always irrationally worry that one might disattach itself leading to all sorts of catastrophe.

Had one problem with the car which on googling have found other people reporting same, although not on this forum. After several short and medium journeys about a fortnight back the cooling fan would suddenly come on about 5-10 seconds after turning off the ignition and running at high revs for around 30 seconds each time before switching off. The concensus of opinion after finding owners with similar problems was that the engine had been switched off while the dpf was regenerating and the cooling fans came on because the engine was running at high temperature while the burn off was occurring. Others disagreed, and thought it was an electrical issue. However I took it into my local chevrolet dealer, and the diagnostic machine returned all green lights so no apparent problem showed up, and I am also assuming that the software showed no regenration of the dpf had taken place. However, it was discovered that the cooling fan was out of alignment. A part has been ordered and the car will go into for a replacement as and when that arrives. In the meantime the problem has stopped so I have my doubts whether the misalignment is causing the issue. Still will wait and see.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the fan issue just occurred again after a two month break with nothing. Have just done three or so 6 mile urnan type trips today with an hour or so gap between each one, and after the third trip the fan came on at massive revs after switching the engine off, for about 30 seconds before switching off.
Clearly the replacement fan hasn't rectified the issue, so does anyone know what might be the cause. The dealership don't seem to know. Is it the DPF regeneration which I thought it might be last time, which didn't show up on diagnostic equipment, or is it something else?

Has anyone else ever had this issue with the new Captiva or on the old Captiva for that matter?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fan often runs at normal revs for afew secondsafter theengine is switched off.
However, when this happens the revs rack up tremendously, and it seems like the car is preparing to lift off into space. A bit disconcerting when it first happens, but it just doesn't seem right. Car has done two more journeys since and it hasn't done it again on either occasion.

I'm still inclined to think it has something to do with DPF regeneration, but i don't know for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts