Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes, on my Lacetti, I hit the brakes and it makes this chugging noise, and I can feel a repeating pressure from the brakes against my foot (kinda 'chuggchuggchugg-chugg---chugg------chugg', if you catch my drift). My first thought was the ABS kicking in but this happens regardless of what speed I'm at.

It doesn't seem to reduce the effectiveness of the brakes, in any noticeable way. But I wouldn't want them to fail me when I most need them!

Anyone else had this issue? If it cause for concern? I was going to get this looked at in a couple of months at MOT time. I'm not too concerned right now because the brakes seem to be working. But then, I don't really know what I'm talking about.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Hello Hessodreamy, I have two thoughts on your post; (i) it sounds a bit like ABS to me from description; (ii) why wait two months to have checked/looked at?! Anything that seems to originate from brakes should be looked at asap. The noise is telling you something isnt right. Dont wait until something fails - who's going to get killed before you get it checked (too late!). Your own comment sums it up "wouldnt want them to fail me when I need them" Go get them checked buddy!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
AS Aussi ed says, Your life and that of your loved ones is there for you to take care of. I suspect that it might be the "ring" on the constant velocity joint, perhaps with a broken tooth, and when the sensor gets a false reading you will get that noise. If it is a broken ring it is less serious than a faulty abs unit, but a whole lot cheaper to fix. might only be one side, a visual inspection on a lift will tell you, leave car out of gear and rotate wheels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I had a garage look at it and they said the brakes (discs,pads, calipers) were shot and needed to be replaced ASAP. They concur that the ABS is kicking, but reckon that, as the ABS warning light is NOT on, the ABS issues aren't a safety concern. So that's a relief. Now it's just an annoyance, unless I get it fixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts